ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Low mileage 172 Cup £14,999 on ebay

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was half joking, but the washer blanks genuinely are at different angles, unless it's just the pics 🤷‍♂️

Bottom of the drivers one is parallel with the bumper line. Passenger one is tilting up slightly

renault-renaultsport-clio-renaultsport-172-cup-16v-S4482194-5.jpg

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Nice - but for the love of god get those pics of when you first got it off the advert, looks like a really nice car but the last few pictures make it look like a right dog. (y)

It's an indication of how much of a steaming pile of s**t it was when I got it and how much effort was involved to get it into it's current state, without those pics it's simply a bog standard 172 Cup, nothing really significant & can't convey the time, money & effort that's gone into it.
People demand to see evidence of history or work done to the car & what better way is there to do it than show the before & after? 🤷‍♂️

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe on here they do, but buyers generally just wanna know that the car is in good condition and has evidence that the major service jobs have been done.
Knowing the previous owner was a knuckle-dragging simpleton is not a plus point. I'd remove those last pictures personally.

You do present the car well, especially for the miles it's got, you've done a very good job (y)

148k, £5200:

ultsport-clio-renaultsport-172-cup-16v-S4464556-10.jpg

27k, £14,999:

ultsport-clio-renaultsport-172-cup-16v-S4482194-16.jpg

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some people, especially "collectors" cannot see past the low mileage cars. I think this is simply because they know deep down they are never actually going to use the car, rather it will sit in a garage, barely turning a wheel from year to year. They just want to be able to say that have a low mile X, Y or Z in the collection.

For someone that wants to use the car, Paddy's looks like a good option to me. Ry's car has a LOT of potential but it needs touching up in minor areas and an MOT to really maximize the net of potential buyers. Spend 30 mins going over the car with back to black for starters!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an indication of how much of a steaming pile of s**t it was when I got it and how much effort was involved to get it into it's current state, without those pics it's simply a bog standard 172 Cup, nothing really significant & can't convey the time, money & effort that's gone into it.
People demand to see evidence of history or work done to the car & what better way is there to do it than show the before & after? 🤷‍♂️
I know what you mean but its a for sale ad not a project thread.

Think about it, do you really care how much effort someone has spend renovating thier house? you just care about the condition it is in when you buy it, you don't want to see all the pictures of them under pinning it after it nearly fell down 3 years back.

I buy cars based on condition and would be put off by how much work you've had to do to get it right, makes it look like its had an abused past etc.

As said, I just think its an unfair reflection on the car because it looks really smart.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Think about it, do you really care how much effort someone has spend renovating thier house? you just care about the condition it is in when you buy it, you don't want to see all the pictures of them under pinning it after it nearly fell down 3 years back.

I buy cars based on condition and would be put off by how much work you've had to do to get it right, makes it look like its had an abused past etc.

As said, I just think its an unfair reflection on the car because it looks really smart.

Maybe leave the photos out but I wouldn’t hide any work done. Knowing someone has put some money into improving a car and maybe sorted out some common issues is a good selling point. Write it in the ad and some really interested people will take note.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe leave the photos out but I wouldn’t hide any work done. Knowing someone has put some money into improving a car and maybe sorted out some common issues is a good selling point. Write it in the ad and some really interested people will take note.

I have historically placed a link to a forum build thread. Not suggesting you should hide work but in the first 3mins of seeing the advert that would turn me off.

The list of parts alone should show people its been well cared for. Its like when people show pictures of loads of rust that has been sorted. Saying the sill has been replaced and seeing the before pictures leave different feelings.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
23   0   0
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

I totally agree. I'd be put off if I knew a car had had a hard life before regardless of the condition it is in now.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  Valvers & 172 Cup
I totally agree. I'd be put off if I knew a car had had a hard life before regardless of the condition it is in now.

I do get where you're coming from but for me, when we're talking about a car of this age -especially a Clio - I'd rather it have had an actual life rather than it have been an unused example as from my experience, the worst possible thing to happen to a Mk1 or Mk2 Clio is for it to be sat unused for long periods of time, it absolutely destroys them.

I look at low mileage examples & just know that they will need a similar amount of work doing to them as mine did because of everything made of rubber that deteriorates over time and more so when the car doesn't get used

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This! I would be looking for the next one, especially at that price point. They aren’t rare enough yet! That picture looks like it spent its life smashing laps of McDonalds. Reality is most have by now, but I wouldn’t advertise the fact. Especially as you had done such a nice job straightening it up

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  Valvers & 172 Cup

I have to disagree somewhat, the list of parts being put on the advert pretty much makes it a project thread as well as an advert, otherwise my ad would simply say "172 Cup, MOT November 2022, 150,000 miles, cambelt & dephaser done at 137,000, £5,200 ono" which is a pretty crap advert & you'd be mad to buy based on just that :ROFLMAO:

As for the house analogy, I bloody well would care as I'd be intending it to be my house and I'd want to make sure it was done properly, I'm sure we've all seen examples of quick bodges done to make something look pretty on cars/houses etc just for long enough to sell it on to a mug that doesn't look too deep into things.

If a 5-10 year old car has had an abused past it would be perfectly reasonable to want to avoid it as it's most likely not going to survive another 5-10 years but a nearly 20 year old car that has been abused but is still on the road & going strong, you know it's a good strong car and that it's still been looked after properly otherwise it would've been scrapped a long time ago

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This forum never ceases to amaze me [emoji23] bravo

It's like if my gf was to show me all the guys she's shagged in the past, sure I erm appreciate the honesty but f**k me you ain't selling yourself very well hun.

The same applies here.

Aye but if your girlfriend went off the rails a bit before you met her. Maybe had a crack habit or something. You would be interested in the details of how she put it right.

If she just said I used to have a crack habit and it’s none of your business. Then I’d be pretty worried she was hiding something.

Same applies here.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Aye but if your girlfriend went off the rails a bit before you met her. Maybe had a crack habit or something. You would be interested in the details of how she put it right.

If she just said I used to have a crack habit and it’s none of your business. Then I’d be pretty worried she was hiding something.

Same applies here.

No I'd be wondering how much of her is now fucked up with irreversible damage and I'd be pondering that for a very long time.

I'd rather not know.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rather it have had an actual life rather than it have been an unused example as from my experience, the worst possible thing to happen to a Mk1 or Mk2 Clio is for it to be sat unused for long periods of time, it absolutely destroys them.

Yea, but says it right there in the advert, so no need for the before shots.

Miles: 148k

As for the house analogy, I bloody well would care as I'd be intending it to be my house and I'd want to make sure it was done properly, I'm sure we've all seen examples of quick bodges done to make something look pretty on cars/houses etc just for long enough to sell it on to a mug that doesn't look too deep into things.

Did you ask the previous owners of your home for the pictures of the last renovation job they did?

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Yea, but says it right there in the advert, so no need for the before shots.

Miles: 148k

Did you ask the previous owners of your home for the pictures of the last renovation job they did?

If there was any mention of a renovation job (I'm actually house hunting atm and renovation/refurbishment is prominently mentioned on a lot of the adverts I'm looking at) I'd want to see evidence of it and if it was done properly before deciding if I want to proceed with buying it or walking away

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  Valvers & 172 Cup
This forum never ceases to amaze me 😂 bravo

It's like if my gf was to show me all the guys she's shagged in the past, sure I erm appreciate the honesty but f**k me you ain't selling yourself very well hun.

The same applies here.

Surely it only applies if you're buying a gf and if she's showing you the guys before she became your gf rather than after the fact though right? 🤔

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dann2707's analogy was so much better than mine. Good work.

@16v_paddy I get what your saying and do agree to a certain extent. If I was buying something a bit more classic and there were pictures of say a bare shell respray I would be dripping, but pictures of a 00's hot hatch with holes cut in the wing and kerbed alloys just puts me off, which as I said is a real shame given how clean it looks now.

Lets be honest - in any analogy here we all want a really good looking virgin, sometimes pointing out that the car has had a few undesirable owners who have done some really dirty things to it (I'm getting ex bf big dick anxiety now...) the less interested most people become.

Your current pictures should (and do) tell a buyer all they need to know - I'm just passing on the thoughts I had a few moments after looking through your ad.

The mental run down was honestly exactly this:
  • Oh that looks well clean
  • But its £5200, thats a pricey Clio
  • But it is sooo clean
  • Whoooa its done 150k and he wants that much, best read the advert
  • Oh, he's done loads of work to it
  • Pictures do look good wonder if condition is more important than miles
  • Why the f**k is there a hole in the wing and fucked wheel, I'm sure they weren't in the first few pics
  • Scroll back few pics, not there in first pics, he must have cleaned the car up
  • confused, but it is very pretty
Good luck with the sale mate, I think its all perspective, without trying to sound like a prick I think the first car would sell at 10k and yours would sell at £3500, thats just my own personal opinion and not intended to offend anyone... and for the record I really do think you've done a great job.

Last edited:

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  RB 182 Cup
I sold my RB cup a few months ago for £5750 on 112k. Honestly I couldn't imagine paying that kind of money for a mk2 Clio (at least in 2021), but seems like I may have under sold it slightly looking on the forum.

I really don't see the appeal of buying cars like these as investments, by the time you've factored keeping the servicing up to date, storage cost and upkeep of the car and insurance, etc even if they double in value in the next 10 years, you're not really making much money on them (they'll have needed 2 cam belt changes in that time too). Unless people are just locking them up in a garage and abandoning them until they're worth putting some money into?

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold my RB cup a few months ago for £5750 on 112k. Honestly I couldn't imagine paying that kind of money for a mk2 Clio (at least in 2021), but seems like I may have under sold it slightly looking on the forum.

I really don't see the appeal of buying cars like these as investments, by the time you've factored keeping the servicing up to date, storage cost and upkeep of the car and insurance, etc even if they double in value in the next 10 years, you're not really making much money on them (they'll have needed 2 cam belt changes in that time too). Unless people are just locking them up in a garage and abandoning them until they're worth putting some money into?
Agreed, I mean I bought the least desirable colour apparently. But on the principle I can get enjoyment out of it, spend some money making how I want with any increase in value offsetting my investment. It’s never about making money, but it does help justify the money spent on wheels, seats etc and keeping it broadly OEM (albeit +) so if abs when I come to sell it i have kind of washed my face.

There are people that buy cars as investments obviously, but I personally wouldn’t. A clio cup is a nice thing to own, so car collectors (different to investors) would likely pay strong money for them. Albeit I would think they want lower mileage examples, I think Ryan has a nice example. Just personally it needs finishing and advertising properly….even then it’s strong money!

Trader Rating - 88.9%
8   1   0
  997.1, Caddy, e208
There's a 172 cup by my friends house in Huntingdon.
It's sat there with no number plate so I can't really get any details on it.
Might ask her to find the owner for me, could be a £27k barn find.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needs to be overflowing with coolant and washed every weekend. £500 here :ROFLMAO:
Whatever happened to that petrol blue shed! It was bought by a lad who had ‘big plans if you ever saw my builds’ but disappeared shortly after….😂

edit found it! Bought by someone else, now seems to be a ‘project’ again but for sale still needing bits 😂😉

deanoE30M3

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if that’s the case here’s some car protection!

SKINTasPER

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  Clio 182/MK4 GT 120
Well if that’s the case here’s some car protection!

Cheers mate will be in unit so not exactly out in weather, will look into that. Thanks

SKINTasPER

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  Clio 182/MK4 GT 120
Maybe of to a potential buyer. Not quite the asking price but not far off ;) so here we are getting a maintenance wash at my brother's detailing unit where she had her stage two polish!received_569851174104602.jpeg