ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Low Mileage 172 Cups - why so many?

Clio 200 Cup
I bought my 52 reg 172 Cup in October '07 from Frauds of Winsford. The car had 26k miles on the clock and something like 6 previous owners.

I couldnt find anything to suggest the mileage was not genuine and the car appeared to be in good condition. I knew it had probably been thrashed, but I took the car at face value and bought it.

Anyway, the point is that there seem to be lots of very low mileage 172 Cups around. Is there a particular reason for this?

Is anybody on here a previous owner of HV52 MKD ?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
No reason i can think of, i put a good 50k on mine before i got rid!!!! Awesome motor. I'd be dubious of 6 owners on a low milage car tbh.......

172 A Cupwork Orange™
iv got a 03 cup on 35k now im the second owner, yours sounds dodgy 6 owners and only 26k miles that means on avg each owner did 4k of miles then got rid Hmm lol its either the low mpg, the lack of abs or its a problem car is all i can think off then again it may be all ok hopefully :D

Just did a check on it aparently its a Cat b write off

just kiddin mate lol im sure its fine :rasp:

Last edited:
i've got two theories on this: either people buy them without really knowing what they're about and decide they can't live with them or the car's been dinged&repaired or has got other problems that owners have spotted and don't want to fix up (less likely IMO).

Clio 200 Cup
Yeah, to be honest I got all doughey eyed when I saw it on the forecourt and just bought the thing. Id wanted one since they were new (I was an 18yr old student in 2002)

All the info in the service book adds up and it was HPI clear. I think the last owner before me got rid because it needed three expensive jobs doing (cambelt, exhaust and service) and in hindsight I should have used this to bring the price down - I paid £6k so probably had my leg lifted slightly.

Fuel economy is poor to say the least! Im a fairly sedate driver and I still only get 34mpg on average (good mix of town and motorway driving)

Clio 200 Cup
iv got a 03 cup on 35k now im the second owner, yours sounds dodgy 6 owners and only 26k miles that means on avg each owner did 4k of miles then got rid Hmm lol its either the low mpg, the lack of abs or its a problem car is all i can think off then again it may be all ok hopefully :D

Just did a check on it aparently its a Cat b write off

just kiddin mate lol im sure its fine :rasp:

my arse hole genuinely twitched when I read that!

Your fuel economy will improve as the miles increase.

I was able to achieve 46mpg in my ph 2 172 that had just under 40k on it. That was on the motorway though.

1998 BMW e46 323i
Yeah, to be honest I got all doughey eyed when I saw it on the forecourt and just bought the thing. Id wanted one since they were new (I was an 18yr old student in 2002)

All the info in the service book adds up and it was HPI clear. I think the last owner before me got rid because it needed three expensive jobs doing (cambelt, exhaust and service) and in hindsight I should have used this to bring the price down - I paid £6k so probably had my leg lifted slightly.

Fuel economy is poor to say the least! Im a fairly sedate driver and I still only get 34mpg on average (good mix of town and motorway driving)

How is 34mpg poor? The book figure is 34.9 is it not? It's a hot hatch for God's sake,.. I think that's good. Euro 4 engines and above are better, but this car isn't a new design.

RB 182 cup,astra sri
i got mine 2 years ago and it had 4 previous onwers. i havent had any problems with it to suggest thats why it had so many owners. i geniunly think that some people buy them on umpulse then realise its not the car for them as they are pretty basic in terms of toys, luxury etc.

wee bit worried that this will affect me when i come to sell but at the end of the day, i have looked after it, its in good nick and theres always going to be someone who wants it. they are awesome cars. i bought it over a type r and a golf gti 1.8t. they didnt nothing for me when i test drove them and i couldnt stop smiling when i test drove the cup

Golf GTI PP Mk7
i used to get 40MPG out of my cup on a steady run, motorwats etc. Had 55k on it when i got rid i think.

Silver 172 cup
I am glad when mine makes 30.
Same. In fact the trip computer normaly reads aroung 28 which realisticaly is more like 25 or 26. I don't care at all though. Too much fun.
Mine is quite low mileage. Only one previous owner though. And I only do about 10 thousand miles a year.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
WTF, are people relly complaining of a 2.0L car returining 30mpg+???

Whats this world comming to?! Thats a good figure for a N/A sporty motor!!!

Black 182
WTF, are people relly complaining of a 2.0L car returining 30mpg+???

Whats this world comming to?! Thats a good figure for a N/A sporty motor!!!
You dont buy these sort of cars for good mpg you buy them coz there fast , it either 1 or the other, mpg or power ?:rolleyes:

CLIO CUP 172
I bought my cup 53 plate with 24k and 3 owners back in October,now at 32k ,great car,i always get between 35-40 mpg back and forth to work even got 44 mpg on a trip to Blackpool 3 up.:)