ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Low rev hesitation, mostly when cold

SiH

172 Cup/E46 330i/RX7
Hi All,
Posted before about the slightly wonky idle my car gets, and came tot he conclusion 'they all do that, sir'.
However, the car is definitely holding back at light throttle, most noticeably when cold. In addition, there's definitely a slight misfire on idle.
I'm thinking probably coil pack? Although I'd expect that to be worse under load (it's fine under heavy load, at full throttle, and mostly when warm, although it does sometimes seem to slip into a bit of a miss on warm idle)

No problems with car getting up to temp, not noticeably rich on idl or bad on fuel, so am eliminating CTS and stat issues.
Plugs were new <1k ago

Anything else it could be other than coils? I'm loathed to buy either eBay cheapies or a SH set as I don't know how good they'll be, and I guess the only real way to check is to swap out with a 'known good' set.

Car is an 03 172 cup, BTW, 69k.

Ta :)
Si

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
They do hold back when cold. Mine does and its like a switch has been pressed when it instantly changes to being normal. They can also pop a bit when cold as its running rich to warm up.

SiH

172 Cup/E46 330i/RX7
This seems like a definite misfire though to be honest - I'm used to grumpy cold idles (I've got a ported rotary :D) but this most definitely seems more extreme. If Renault had released it like this I'd be genuinely shocked!

172cup
Mine does it for for a few mins or less then a mile and some time I can get it to back fire very loud