ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Low temp fan switch on 16v

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

Has anyone fitted a low temp fan switch and low temp thermostat on their 16v?

Just seen them on BBs site, and was wondering if this is worth doing with the (hopefully) hot weather on its way....

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Yes. Fan kicks in earlier now and temp doesnt go much over quarter mark compared to before when it would go to half or more and fan kick in at half.

Ive got the low temp fan switch which IMO is very good. Comes on just when you need it, wouldnt like it to get much hotter than it does.

I was advised against a low temp thermostat, as I was told this was too excessive and wouldnt let the engine get up to its proper running temperature, therefore the ecu would always have the engine running richer.

but if they were designed to work in hot countries around the world then im sure it will never get too hot in sh*tty english weather

ben j

sorry mate ur wrong here

they do work and its def worthwhile esp with the weather getting better

i had over heating prob with my valver when i got it but after changine the fan switch and low temp stat my car runs a lot cooler and its much happier like this

dont buy from bb though they charge too much

I agree with wongy here, its down to personal preference really.

My valver runs between half way and two thirds normally, which Im happy with, so no need for the low temp stat. When I boot it, it runs just under two thirds, and with the low temp fan switch, the fan switches on about two thirds.

This works out IMO very well, and dont see the point in letting the engine get any hotter than is necessary.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

My fan switches on at two thirds with normal temp fan switch! :eek:

Mine normally runs at one third under ordinary circumstances.

No, thats what the temp gauge reads, but its not hot, I had it up just over two thirds the other day when I was fitting a new fan motor and it still wasnt very hot, still perfectly safe.

yea. u have problems with ya cooling systems then, theyve run fine for 10+ years , y should they suddenly need a cooler fan switch?? it shouldnt. so u have something wrong somewhere

Im having lower temp thermostat, as well as fan switch, and bigger fan - torquier/quicker fan engine.... I guess it is worth as I have ally plate under engine... and it gets really hot... in there...

172 exclusive no 172

My car is the same as tom_16v when it eventually warms up it runs comfortably at about half.

when stood though the fan still cuts in at 2/3rds but will struggle to cool down, i think a change of radiator then get a low temp switch..

I checked my car at renault "tech" - computer (dont remember its name) and it runs at 80- 83 deg. celcius, the fan starts at a bit above this...

im going to get both thermostat and fan switch soon

it can only improve things

and ben j so wot if the car was made to run in hotter countries from a performance point of view anything that lowers the engine/under bonnet temperature on a car that runs hot is good

FRST and 106 GTi

remember ppl, engine must be runing at +- 85º for good power. Dont go too wild on cooling devices. Still remember, oil coolers can be a engine killer. This is just because, despite the general belif, you should not cold oil temp too much has it loses its lubri proprities.

I think std cooling is good enough. btw, bigger or more vent fans can "kill" bhp when on... too much power drained from the engine can make it lose bhp and even (extreme) stall.

Quote: Originally posted by BUTRE on 26 March 2003

btw, bigger or more vent fans can "kill" bhp when on... too much power drained from the engine can make it lose bhp and even (extreme) stall.
yea, but the fan must be SO huge to cause that much of a drain!

you can run oil too cool, but in most circumstances, when your driving, oil temps vary little one up, but water temps can vary quite rapidly. LOwer water temps and generally lower engine temps can help make a tiny bit of power.

I thinkit was many an oval racer that found several BHP by simply lowering their running water temps.

mine stays in the middle of the 1/3 mark out on the road and the fan cuts in at half when ticking over.i wonder is it running way too cool

i would imagine a highly tuned clio engine benefitting from those two devices but basically it comes down to personal prefrence and the type of driving that you do. Where i am live i have an abundance of country lanes etc etc, never sitting in traffic so personally on mine, which is standard, i wouldnt bother.