ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lower arms - Genuine or Aftermarket?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Looking to replace my lower arms on the 182 van, when I built it I fitted powerflex black bushes to the arms with new lemforder ball joints but TBH im not a fan of the powerflex bushes, while it does handle well, the ride is a bit harsher than id like, I'm getting creaking from them and I'm not sure they are suited to daily driving as I do!

I notice genuine items have shot up in price, now around £200 for a pair, which I don't mind paying if that's my only option, but is there any decent quality aftermarket items that use the correct extra castor setup for the bottom ball joint? - The lemforder balljoints for example seem as good as OE as far as i can see.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Looking to replace my lower arms on the 182 van, when I built it I fitted powerflex black bushes to the arms with new lemforder ball joints but TBH im not a fan of the powerflex bushes, while it does handle well, the ride is a bit harsher than id like, I'm getting creaking from them and I'm not sure they are suited to daily driving as I do!

I notice genuine items have shot up in price, now around £200 for a pair, which I don't mind paying if that's my only option, but is there any decent quality aftermarket items that use the correct extra castor setup for the bottom ball joint? - The lemforder balljoints for example seem as good as OE as far as i can see.
I’m using genuine wishbones on my daily with Lemforder ball joints and they’re fine. I’ve also got Yellow series Strongflex bushes which are an upgrade over OEM but don’t cause any harshness to the ride. I’ve done 25,000 road miles on them in the last 2 years.

What springs/dampers/suspension are you using?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I’m using genuine wishbones on my daily with Lemforder ball joints and they’re fine. I’ve also got Yellow series Strongflex bushes which are an upgrade over OEM but don’t cause any harshness to the ride. I’ve done 25,000 road miles on them in the last 2 years.

What springs/dampers/suspension are you using?
Grams springs, 182 cup dampers, standard top mounts, powerflex purple ARB bushes, rear top mounts and rear beam bushes.

Ive ran similar specs before but the black lower arm bushes im just not enjoying, they were a nightmare to fit, and ive just never been 100% happy with the way its driving and i think its the bushes!

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Grams springs, 182 cup dampers, standard top mounts, powerflex purple ARB bushes, rear top mounts and rear beam bushes.

Ive ran similar specs before but the black lower arm bushes im just not enjoying, they were a nightmare to fit, and ive just never been 100% happy with the way its driving and i think its the bushes!
Hmm there’s still a fair amount of poly bushing going on for a road car though. And I tried Grams and Cooksport with Cup dampers before returning to Cup springs. I just found the car never really worked properly with aftermarket kit.

On saying that my ARB bushes are also Strongflex but the ride is still very good. I also used to run Powerflex dogbone and upper engine mounts but too much vibration for my liking. These days everything else is pretty much OEM and car drives so much better. Renault Sport certainly knew what they were doing and it seems the set up is very sensitive to changes.

I’m going to replace my Strongflex bushes with OEM bushes this summer.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
My ride is fair, and I think my setup is very similar to yours.

I am cooksport sprints with new cup dampers
White line rear beam bushes
Powerflex dog bone
Powerflex ARB inner and outer
OEM new lower arms
Febi top mounts

I would personally just throw oem lower arms at it because the quality is known good and they seem to last a long time. Alternatively you could buy some used lower arms, press in febi bushes and use the lemforder ball joints to end up at the same goal with a bit more effort but maybe £100 for the pair. For the agg I'd just throw the extra £100 in the pot.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
PS ride is very subjective. So to use some 4yr old terminology. Mine is a bit bumpy but not overly jiggly. It will go over speed bumps without breaking your back but you would want to avoid pot holes.

It makes my knackered Lexus feel like a magic carpet but the ride is equivalent if a little less composed to an OEM E46 M3. What is the ride on grams springs usually like?

Clio sport 182
Hmm there’s still a fair amount of poly bushing going on for a road car though. And I tried Grams and Cooksport with Cup dampers before returning to Cup springs. I just found the car never really worked properly with aftermarket kit.

On saying that my ARB bushes are also Strongflex but the ride is still very good. I also used to run Powerflex dogbone and upper engine mounts but too much vibration for my liking. These days everything else is pretty much OEM and car drives so much better. Renault Sport certainly knew what they were doing and it seems the set up is very sensitive to changes.

I’m going to replace my Strongflex bushes with OEM bushes this summer.
Someone who appreciates OEM as much as info...however I have had to stick to cooksport springs as Renault don't make 182 cup springs anymore 😱

Clio sport 182
Did you have any issues with your strut tops? Mine a genuine with the modified spacer is shockingly bad. Just purchased the Febi ones. You think I should use the modified washer or try and get my hands on the original spacers and half nut??

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Did you have any issues with your strut tops? Mine a genuine with the modified spacer is shockingly bad. Just purchased the Febi ones. You think I should use the modified washer or try and get my hands on the original spacers and half nut??
I’ve got the modified spacer because the strut tops were sticking out. They’re no different from the originals but don’t seem to affect the ride at all