ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lower ball joint to hub assembly "worn ball joint"

PH1 V6
As some of you may know i have had problems trying to find this blasted knocking from the O/S front. BUT...... i think iv found the problem!

Im pretty sure my drivers side lower balljoint has seen better days but would just like confirmation of "worn" balljoint signs. The passenger side lower arm was replaced 6 months ago but from looking at receipts and history it appears the drivers side has never been done.

When looking under the car and looking at the lower arm on each side, where the arm connects to the rest of the hub assembley (where the ball joint is) there is a gap which opens up and wobbles when someone turns the steerings wheel (dry steer). The passenger side sits flush and only moves as it should, or in other words there is NO gap or loose movement.

Therefore i am assuming there is play in the balljoint and it will need replacing. good idea to do the lower arm at the same time as it will come with new bushes :) and considering my car is over 9 years older would be nice to freshen it up.

Could anyone confirm if the above sounds rite?

Thanks

Mondeo TDCI 130
Sounds about right, for the money just get a complete arm with new bushes for about £50 from renault! :)

You can just get a ball joint if you wish, cheaper, but hardly worth it imo!

PH1 V6
i will book it in to be done at my local garage tomorrow :) seeing as the other lower arm was replaced in full i will do the same with this side.

i notice there is a rubber piece between the arm ball joint and hub. will the new arm come with this piece of rubber as the one on the car looks shot!

E36 328
if you have the time mate i would do it myself, nice easy thing to start off learning with if youre into that sort of thing :)

PH1 V6
yeah i wouldnt say im too shabby with a set of tools... just would need a ball joint splitter :)

PH1 V6
thats good... may well give it a bash myself... just need to get my hands on a ball joint splitter.

I take it when buying ANY lower arm regardless of whether its a genuine or pattented part come with NEW bushes and the ball joint already inserted? I will buy genuine for sure but just want to check :)

S2 106 GTI
Birchdown just replaced both my lower arms :D feels like a new car!

Still getting a creaking noise when reversing steve?? I put it down to being new though?!

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Shouldnt need a balljoint splitter. Good lube, take the bolt out, then clout the hub with a hammer. May need a lever for a bit of persuasion, but should come out.

S3, Polo
I'm getting new arms and top mounts from Auto-Nation, when Pete gets back from his trade show.

From the looks of it, it *seems* straightforward?

Do you need to remove the ball joint assembly (3 bolts) from the wishbone prior to taking the wishbone off (2 bolts on the subframe) or do you just:
- Split the balljoint from the hub
- Remove the wishbone bolts
- Drop the whole assembly
- Refit?