ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lower strut brace

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Did a quick search but nothing for the lower one.

Just picked one up from opm for the puma after some good reviews.

Anybody with any experience of them?
Not even sure if they do them for the RS' right enough.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Omp mines is mate.
ma1762G.jpg

Chris means ARB bushes one.

You cannot get them for the clio IIRC as they are already fitted or something. Someone in the know will correct me.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I've never seen one for a mk2 clio. But they made loads of difference to my friends Mk2 Astra GTE. A real improvement, to the point that when he took it off it felt soft and woolly. lol

S4 Avant
I've heard nothing but good things about lower front strut braces, it'd be interesting if some one like k-tec could come up with something to suit.

Still under the impression that you can't get one for the mk2/3. . .

Pretty certain that if you could/they made any difference, a company like Ktec/GDI etc etc would have released one years ago.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that's why I asked. Never ever seen one advertised or even mentioned on here or by K-tec.

Was just fishing to see if someone had one on a different car maybe.

Very good reviews regarding the difference to the Puma after fitting.

172 , looking for a 4x4 !
Yeah that's why I asked. Never ever seen one advertised or even mentioned on here or by K-tec.

Was just fishing to see if someone had one on a different car maybe.

Very good reviews regarding the difference to the Puma after fitting.

Had one on my evo and it stiffened it up a treat.

Id get one for my clio as it rolls too much even though its dropped 30mm on cup springs with front and rear braces.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Did a quick search but nothing for the lower one.

Just picked one up from opm for the puma after some good reviews.

Anybody with any experience of them?
Not even sure if they do them for the RS' right enough.

Lower front strut for your shell as such are great! Had one on both of my ZS's and they made alot of difference.

RS RIP
strut brace on front of the clio is not all that supposably ; being that the firewall/hull is very close to the struts , so a lot os stiffness already there

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
strut brace on front of the clio is not all that supposably ; being that the firewall/hull is very close to the struts , so a lot os stiffness already there

I have front and back struts,lowered on eibachs and solid top mounts Huge Difference! Would love to find lower struts tho my mate has one on his polo its excellent

Titanium 182
Don't think they do them on the mk2/3 ?

They do tend to work a treat on cars that can have them though, much better than upper strut braces.

I have front and back struts,lowered on eibachs and solid top mounts Huge Difference! Would love to find lower struts tho my mate has one on his polo its excellent

How much hassle involved in fitting solid top mounts???
And where from?
The stiffer i can get my clio the better!!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I've had nothing but trouble with them I ordered them from kam racing not too bad to fit but now I've realised I have a few bits missing which explains the clunking I've been getting,but they seem to be working greatly the other stuff on my car I would reccomend them x

I've had nothing but trouble with them I ordered them from kam racing not too bad to fit but now I've realised I have a few bits missing which explains the clunking I've been getting,but they seem to be working greatly the other stuff on my car I would reccomend them x

Do you mean the lower strut braces ??

Ifso,where did you find them as i want some:D
cheers
liam

RS RIP
Right; could'nt find the lower one for the RS on Sparco. They do have a Williams , 1.8 16v , 2,0 (old Clio 1 types) lower brace ..

So KAM racing does them ?

Gez

Yozza'd 182 RB 188bhp
on the front, the subframe is your brace. there isnt anywhere to put one. its not needed.
As said, there is nowhere to put one on the rear either

RS RIP
i would have thought the subframe did the job... when looking at the genuine cup racers they have a top-strutbrace , no bottom one.

a top one on the rear will strenghten up things in the back, might get one of those some day as the 172 rear end could do with one. The later 182's design (front AND back) was altered/strenghtened for a reason

172 cup
you can purchase a rear lower brace you can get them from demon tweeks for about £130 there for the mk2 my mate has one think best way to stiffen the front up would be anti rollbar bushes and wishbone bushes tbh

Matty

a thirsty one
they do a rear upper strut brace 9i have one dont think it really makes any difference but it does mean we dont use my car when going to do the tesco big shop anymore - result)

they do a rear lower arb (whiteline) do a fixed one and a 3 point adjustable one but i think i heard mixed reviews on various cars with various suspension set ups. also the cup race cars didnt use them so i decide aginst one.

a thirsty one
i seem to remember Fred testing one of those a few years ago and found it made the clio a bit twitchy but that was with aftermarket suspension.

ITB'd MK1
i would have thought the subframe did the job... when looking at the genuine cup racers they have a top-strutbrace , no bottom one.

a top one on the rear will strenghten up things in the back, might get one of those some day as the 172 rear end could do with one. The later 182's design (front AND back) was altered/strenghtened for a reason

Pointless at the front IMO as it's a full subframe. They work BRILLIANTLY on mk2 astras and MK1 golfs

you can purchase a rear lower brace you can get them from demon tweeks for about £130 there for the mk2 my mate has one think best way to stiffen the front up would be anti rollbar bushes and wishbone bushes tbh

Matty

I think you're confusing an ARB for a strut brace on the lower here, ARBs are available, but again IMO they're not really worth it. Upper rear strut braces that fit on top of the shock are not nice, they dont mount solidly, just float around on the top bush. A welded in bar between the shock towers would be the best way, though still un-necessary IMO

The effects of Top braces are only noticable when the chassis begins to flex over and above the normal amount. As that's what it holds steady.

The lower braces (like the one in questions here) is attached to a more flexible component so makes a more noticable difference.

A decent set of tyres on standard springs is enough to flex the chassis enough to notice the effects of the upper brace. However if you have hard springs, then the effects of the upper one will be greater. A upper and lower brace, combines with harder springs and a descent set of tyres, will add up to make a serious difference to handling. (Add some polybushes aswell for good measure ;))

Hope this info helps :)