ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowered 182

182 Inferno
Hi,

I have a 182 which is on coilovers, it is quite low, so low it can br undriveable on roundabouts, bumps in the road etc. due to rubbing on the wheel arch.
I don't know how low it actually is as I bought it like this.

I do like the lowered look and I would like to keep it lowered, has anyone got any recommendations as to how low I should go?
I've read that a lot of people lower then by 8mm.. Do they rub at that height?

I love the standard wheels so I don't want to put 15"s on.

Thanks in advance!!

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Common sense needs to be used. If the roads around your way aren't as smooth as a race track, then realistically you'll need to jack it up a bit...

Clio 2.0 16v 182
^^ agreed. Lower for the roads you drive, not the roads you want

(And yes, I did just repurpose a fat girl de motivational quote)

182 Inferno
I know, I am going to raise it, which is why I ask how lowered it can get away with, with no rubbing :/

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
With the rubbing what you can do is loosen the wheel bolts then jack the car up and remove the wheel. You should now be able to see where it is rubbing - should be obvious . You can do what a lot of people do and dremmel (rotary tool) out part of the wheel arch liner that it is rubbing on. At the front it is usually the part where the front bumper attaches. Ive not done it yet but you can bend this by hitting it with a hammer.
You should also perhaps raise the suspension by turning the big nut that the springs in the coilover sit on. Make sure you count the rotations so you raise it evenly on both sides.
Its a nice little 1-2 hour job that is really easy.

Clio 2.0 16v 182
For a 100% no bulls1t answer, we'd need to see where it's rubbing/scraping and how badly and also know exactly what parts and camber degree you're running.

Imo, clios aren't meant to be lowered to much. 16-17" wheels on eibach prolines look better than 15" with a 15mm gap from the ground. Also if you're not on 15"wheels and you're scraping check you're driveshafts, they might be under excessive strain

182 Inferno
With the rubbing what you can do is loosen the wheel bolts then jack the car up and remove the wheel. You should now be able to see where it is rubbing - should be obvious . You can do what a lot of people do and dremmel (rotary tool) out part of the wheel arch liner that it is rubbing on. At the front it is usually the part where the front bumper attaches. Ive not done it yet but you can bend this by hitting it with a hammer.
You should also perhaps raise the suspension by turning the big nut that the springs in the coilover sit on. Make sure you count the rotations so you raise it evenly on both sides.
Its a nice little 1-2 hour job that is really easy.
Yeah. My plan was to raise the suspension like, speed bumps and multi stories are not my friends!

That all sounds simple enough like, I was just wondering if anyone had an ideal height they could recommend! - I think ill be raising it and then trail and error until it drives nicely!

182 Inferno
For a 100% no bulls1t answer, we'd need to see where it's rubbing/scraping and how badly and also know exactly what parts and camber degree you're running.

Imo, clios aren't meant to be lowered to much. 16-17" wheels on eibach prolines look better than 15" with a 15mm gap from the ground. Also if you're not on 15"wheels and you're scraping check you're driveshafts, they might be under excessive strain
Yeah, I have 16s on Eibach prolines. The car did come on 15s but I wanted the standard wheels!

I'm gonna get it up on a ramp tonight and give it a good look over..under :p
I'll get some photos of where it is rubbing.

Thank you both :)

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
35mm on the back 30mm on the front.

16s and no scrubbing. That's with cooksport springs.

635539837526906776.jpg

EFA. This was just after fitting so is lower now as they settled in.

2003 Clio 172
I lowered the suspension last night and immediately experienced the same thing.
I get these aren't really for a slammed ride but I personally found the drop quite moderate, a finger between fender and tyre, but it would still catch on the liners.
How do they do it? I'm thinking of those with R comps and a much lower ride height. Removed arch liners altogether?