ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering a 172 Cup

RenaultSport Clio 172 Cup
I picked up my 172 Cup a couple of weeks ago after having to sell my 7 month 182 FF with cup packs to help raise funds towards my wedding and honeymoon (really expensive business!!). All in all, I'm not that disappointed with the change tbh - I love the colour of the Cup and it feels ever so slighty quicker off the mark and in gear than the FF 182.

To all of you that own a 172 cup or have driven one would you recommend lowering it?

The reason I am considering it is to reduce body roll and dive under braking and I am also considering doing a couple of track days within the next 12 months. However, as most of my driving is on the road I want the car to be no harsher over bumps, whilst still rolling less in the corners. Is that possible? If so, which kit would you recommend? Also, with the aforementioned wedding/honeymoon on the horizon I don't have much cash to play with, so am looking to achieve this with just lowering springs. Am I better off waiting until I have more cash and buying coilovers, albeit in 12 months time or so?

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
I'd recommend lowering it. Speak to EVOgone on here as he has a very nice setup on his Cup and thats very affordable. :)

Its not coilovers but it is replacement shocks and springs.

clio 200
go on lower it, you wont regret it. and just springs will be fine but obviously not a gd as a full kit/coilovers but you will still be pleased with the result

SLK 350
Were doing a coilover groupbuy mate at the moment for FK setup's. Check the car parts for sale forum (stickied at top), but basically £440 gets your a full coilover kit.

Ive currently got Koni shocks and Eibach springs, good setup. But im bored and want it lower still.

ozzyo99 said:
Were doing a coilover groupbuy mate at the moment for FK setup's. Check the car parts for sale forum (stickied at top), but basically £440 gets your a full coilover kit.

Ive currently got Koni shocks and Eibach springs, good setup. But im bored and want it lower still.

Cheers for the advice lads. Is that £440 for a brand new set of coilovers or is that second hand?

I've seen Eibach Sportline springs for £135 - are these any good taking into consideration i don't want the car the be too harsh on the road or too low? They seem like a really good price to me.

Gary Spencer said:
Cheers for the advice lads. Is that £440 for a brand new set of coilovers or is that second hand?

I've seen Eibach Sportline springs for £135 - are these any good taking into consideration i don't want the car the be too harsh on the road or too low? They seem like a really good price to me.

I've just seen the sticky for the new FK coilovers at £440, but wanted to spend less if poss by just replacing the springs. Has anyone had any experience of running the Eibach's and are there any other springs I should consider for similar money?

eibach's are great!
pro-kit lowers cca 15mm
sportline's lower 30mm front/25mm back
both are comfortable enough

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Apex as above, bargain at circa £90. Slightly harsher ride but you learn to drive/live with it.

SLK 350
Gary,

Spring wise, go with Eibachs, honestly there is no other spring IMO to rival their blend of comfort and ride quality. Most will provide a hard ride, at the extreme you have Pi/Gmax/Apex who will have you needing spinal surgery if the roads are anything less than perfect.

However, standard struts with springs won't last you their normal lifespan, they don't take kindly to be overly compressed, nor do they like harder springs - given time most will leak and fail - that said thats more when people use -60mm springs, but it can and does happen on lesser drops.

Personally, i've had Koni+Eibachs on mine now long enough to know what i want from the car. I want a commutable ride, but on the way home from work/weekend i want the car to perform in a way i feel confident in - my setup does provide this. But i still want the car lower, despite it being -30mm lower than standard.

For the money (your looking at £100 saving) you will not find a better set of components than the groupbuy we have going. You can lower the car anything upto -100mm (10cm) and the ride will be set as the car should be - train, rails, planted.

In summary, if you want springs get some Eibach prolines (-30mm drop, for go!) or sportlines (-40mm~ drop, for show!). Failing that either join us on the groupbuy, by getting the money together, or take out the finance agreement and pay monthly, its 0% APR.

Goodluck \0/

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
ozzyo99 said:
Gary,

Spring wise, go with Eibachs, honestly there is no other spring IMO to rival their blend of comfort and ride quality. Most will provide a hard ride, at the extreme you have Pi/Gmax/Apex who will have you needing spinal surgery if the roads are anything less than perfect.

However, standard struts with springs won't last you their normal lifespan, they don't take kindly to be overly compressed, nor do they like harder springs - given time most will leak and fail - that said thats more when people use -60mm springs, but it can and does happen on lesser drops.

Personally, i've had Koni+Eibachs on mine now long enough to know what i want from the car. I want a commutable ride, but on the way home from work/weekend i want the car to perform in a way i feel confident in - my setup does provide this. But i still want the car lower, despite it being -30mm lower than standard.

For the money (your looking at £100 saving) you will not find a better set of components than the groupbuy we have going. You can lower the car anything upto -100mm (10cm) and the ride will be set as the car should be - train, rails, planted.

In summary, if you want springs get some Eibach prolines (-30mm drop, for go!) or sportlines (-40mm~ drop, for show!). Failing that either join us on the groupbuy, by getting the money together, or take out the finance agreement and pay monthly, its 0% APR.

Goodluck \0/

Your'e desperate for these aren't you Oz LOL.

The man speaks sense though, just depends on budget. Apex are the best value spring, closely followed by the Eibachs IMO.

SLK 350
Aye, i want my coilovers dagnammit!!!

Value wise as Apex are cheaper, if you want them for looks and don't mind a hard ride - then indeed they're superb.

If you have an extra few bucks, want a good ride and don't mind losing -5mm less on the drop then Eibachs would be preferable.

Everyone has their allegiances though, horses for courses, biscuits for tea, chicken or beef, c0ck or *****, whatever takes ya fancy....

Oh and ben_p is gay/

Good effort on the sales pitch - I want my coilover too!

Although I'd add that if you just go for springs then neither of the Eibach springs lower the car close to what Apex springs do. Sportlines are close but not just 5mm higher than Apex IME.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Ally said:
Although I'd add that if you just go for springs then neither of the Eibach springs lower the car close to what Apex springs do. Sportlines are close but not just 5mm higher than Apex IME.

Too true and the very reason I went for the Apex though I dare say the progressive nature of the 'bachs gives a better ride.

ozzyo99 said:
Gary,

Goodluck \0/

Cheers Oz, that's been a MASSIVE help. :star:

Due to the impending wedding and being tight for cash at the mo, after reading your advice I'm gonna go for the Eibach Prolines. :approve: Fingers crossed the dampers will hold out (they've only covered 26k), but if/when they do fail I'll upgrade to coilovers then.

Thanks to evryone else whose offered their advice too.

P.s. has anyone got any pic's of their Clio's with Prolines fitted as I'd like to see the drop?

Iain C said:
I have a set of apex springs (if u want em)
Have moved on to H&Rs now.
Both give a bumpy ride tho
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=136319
Here is mine

Just had a look at your H&R set up on your cup. I have to say it looks fantastic mate. Thanks for the offer of the Apex springs too, but I'm gonna go with the Eibach's for a less aggressive ride.

What are the H&R's like on the Cup and how do they compare to the standard set up?

ozzyo99 said:
Aye, i want my coilovers dagnammit!!!

Value wise as Apex are cheaper, if you want them for looks and don't mind a hard ride - then indeed they're superb.

If you have an extra few bucks, want a good ride and don't mind losing -5mm less on the drop then Eibachs would be preferable.

Everyone has their allegiances though, horses for courses, biscuits for tea, chicken or beef, c0ck or *****, whatever takes ya fancy....

Oh and ben_p is gay/

Oz,

I've just been on the car parts for sale forum and notice you have your set up for sale in preparation for the FK coilover group buy. I see the Koni's have gone, but if your Eibach's are still available I'll have them off you for £90. :D

CHRIS172CUP said:
£700-H&R-end of

Would be ideal, but as I don't have £440 for the FK group buy, I definitely don't have £700 for the H&R's. :(

Are you suggesting I should keep it standard rather than opt for the Eibach springs then Chris?

FredYozzasport said:
na go for Eibach sportlines (although you'll be in for a wait on them!)

Sweet. Cheers Fred. After Oz's advice though, I was going to go for the Prolines as he said the Prolines will give a better performance than the Sportlines, although the sportlines would drop the car lower. Do you think the sportlines would be better for what I'm looking for?

Lionel Richie
Pro's i wouldn't bother with mainly because they don't actually lower the car at all!

sportlines are the one's