ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering a 2001 16v Sport

Does anyone know what kind of springs I would need to lower my 2001 Clio 1.2 16v Sport? In every advert Ive seen, they have three different springs for the 8v 1.2-1.4 cars, 1.6 16v and 172, but I dont know which of these is right for my 1.2 16v. Ive found similar problems with exhausts... theres one for the 8valvers and one for the 172/1.6 16v. Also, I want to fit 17"s. Do I need any arch work done? I heard Id get scrubbing but the guy at my local wheel shop said hes fitted 17"s with 205 rubber to Clio 2s several times, without problems. If anyone can help with any of the above Id be most grateful!

Lionel Richie

Ive got a 2001 1.2 16v with Apex 40mm springs. Ive also got 17s (see pic in gallery) No scrubbing at all (NO ARCH MODS NEEDED) A friend of mine has 17s and 60mm spax srings again no scrubbing. You can get the springs from MOTECH. Dont worry about models, as long as you get springs that are 98 onwards youll be ok, the cars have the same suspension set up (i think)

Fred the Clio 172s are 10mm lower than standard Clios. So when you order springs make sure you tell them you have a 172. So far I have found Apex (F-40mm/R-40mm, Avo (F-30mm/R-30mm), GTtuning (F-25mm/R-30mm) and Prima (F-35mm/R-45mm) springs. Upto you which one you would like.

Chun.

fred,

do you change your shocks/dampers when you lowered your car?

i have the same car as you but with the 1.4 16v engine...was thinking of lowering the car but as yet, undecided what to use and whether to change the dampers at the same time...

was looking at an eibach/bilstein combo...any opinions anyone? or is a all spax combo better?

kindly help...as i am completely confused here...

Lionel Richie

Ive got standard shocks at the moment with the Apex srpings. Im going to get Koni adjustable shocks with 60mm SPAX springs

thanks fred...

could you please drop me an email with information on the part number for the koni shocks that you will be using? and do you have a part number for the koni springs that drop the suspension by about 30 to 40 mm?

just afraid that the dealer here in singapore might botch it up...

i will probably lower my car by about 30 to 40mm max as i do quite a fair bit of people-carrying and would be a bit leery of bottoming out the suspension...

kona
www.renaultcarclub.com