ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LOWERING A CUP

what springs can i get i have been told for some crappy reason that companies dont list the cup but i thought 172 and cup were identical..any pics of lowered cups......any prices and places i get them from thanks to all

I think the 172 is exactly the same as the Cup.. Unless Renault decided 172 springs were too heavy.. and made them differently.

I dont know either way 100% so Im not going to say either way - If Im wrong, youll be mad at me, hehe - Im sure someone has lowered their Cup tho, so they should be able to help!

ok daz cheers anyway mate...does nobody like me on her or something as not many people reply to my posts!!!!!!

to be honest i should have addresses the question to 172 owners in terms of if the car apart from the weight reductions is exactly the same i.e. springs

Looking to lower mine too....So wheres the best place to buy springs? Hoping to go for some compomotive MOs then but not sure wether to go for 17s...

Bought my last set of springs from K-Tec for around £80. Looks good however the ride is now very hard and you feel every bump in the road and I dont think the handling is any better with them - just depends on what ya like... maybe other springs would be a softer ride?

lowering a cup on springs is pretty pointless -there isnt enough sprung weight to make any noticeable difference to the back end! the front will drop a bit but coilovers would be the best option. Also the cups suspension geometry is differnt to the 172 - it has 3 degrees of negative camber at the front, so lowering on progressive springs will unsettle the way it has been set up unless of course u drill new holes and bolt the wishbones om again to adjust the camber differnce after lowering it! I lowered the 1600 which was heavier with 60mm Pi springs - damaged the suspension front and back big style with 172s - changed to 30mmm springs and it was still lowered the same ammount! Im saving for ride and height adjustable coilovers and a set of race seats (Recaro) The End.

Quote: Originally posted by CUPSIZE? on 09 May 2003

lowering a cup on springs is pretty pointless -there isnt enough sprung weight to make any noticeable difference to the back end! the front will drop a bit but coilovers would be the best option. Also the cups suspension geometry is differnt to the 172 - it has 3 degrees of negative camber at the front, so lowering on progressive springs will unsettle the way it has been set up unless of course u drill new holes and bolt the wishbones om again to adjust the camber differnce after lowering it! I lowered the 1600 which was heavier with 60mm Pi springs - damaged the suspension front and back big style with 172s - changed to 30mmm springs and it was still lowered the same ammount! Im saving for ride and height adjustable coilovers and a set of race seats (Recaro) The End.
Sorry to disagree, but where did you get all this mate?

The cup is only what, 80kg lighter, not a massive amount and not enough to make it sit any higer on the same springs, that roughly 20kg less on each spring, so....maybe a 1mm diff max.

and 3 deg fo camber!!! are you crazy! your car would look like a piss take, 3 deg would wear the inner edge of your tyre very fas and it would handle horribly!

The suspension geometry diffs are limited to a 3mm lower front due to an increase in CASTOR.