ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering a mk1 Clio

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Right, me and some mates are gonna attempt to lower my Clio (mk1 phase 2 1.4RT) Saturday. Gonna be fitting new springs to the front and adjusting the torsion bar. Got the guide off RSC members section but wanna know what tools well need? I assume the front shocks are just bolted on and hoping Ray or Dunc has a socket set for that. Im gonna try and get hold of a spring compressor, hopefully Craig can sort me out with that. Am I right in thinking you need a special tool for the torsion bar? Or is this just bolted on again?

Anything else anyone can think of so I can get it all sorted Saturday?

B

Bennyboy

zed, for the torsion bar you need a bolt or threaded bar to screw into the end of the torsion bar (M10 I think it is) a nut and a beefy washer. you also need a socket big enough to place over the hub that the torsion bar sits in. screw the bolt in, place the socket over it and the hub, put the washer on and tighten up the nut until the torsion bar pops out, job done

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Cheers for that Bennyboy, I think one of me mates is bringing a bolt to pop the torsion bar out with. It all seems fairly straight forward but I can see summit annoying like a bolt snapping or summit happening.

B

Bennyboy

torsion bars can be a b**ch to get out...spray loads of wd40 on em and get a high tensile steel bolt and nut if you can, mild steel ones will just shear straight away..

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Yeah, gonna lube it up good ;)

Got plenty of hands to helpout anyway, 7 people coming round to help! Gonna take photos of it, momentous occasion lol

That guide on the RSC FAQ is Weights hosted by me.. its on so many sites now.. kinda famous, heh.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Lol so now I know who to come to and hit over the head with my torsion bar when it dont work :devilish:

Clio 197

so do ya mean screw the bar in then get awasher thats bigger than the hub on the bar , put a nut on and screw the nut up against the washer? so that it forces it out?? good idea!

i wanna lower me clio more!

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Yeah, thats exactly it!!! It should pull the torsion bar out! Although Im currently having problems gettin the dust caps off, well and truely stuck on :(

Clio 197

zed i thought u always said you werent lowering it due to the mileage per week- dont worry youll love the new lowered look!

im glad you mentioned it because i want mine lower and thought i was gunna have to do it with a bolt and molegrips + hammer like before!

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

I wasnt gonna lower it, nearly 3 year its been high but thought feck it, be rate!!! Still doing 300+ mile a week though so Im hoping itll be fine. Was told to go for a 35mm drop though with miles but thought feck it, may as well slam it!!!!

Sprayed loads of WD behind the caps and been trying lever the c**ts off but there well and truely wedged on. Gonna try again tonight, really do need to get them off so I can find a bolt thatll fit ready for Saturday.