ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering MK1 clio

Clio mk1 1.2
how hard is it to lower the rear of a mk1 clio, i am buying 55mm lowering springs at the end of the month and going to fit them, they are fairly easy tho just get spring compressor just wandered what was involved in lowerin the torsion bar

A silver Honda
I didn't do it, i'm lazy!

It depends on how handy you are with a spanner i suppose and how easily your torsion bar come out (if it does!)

A garage will roughly charge from £80 to £160 to do it.

Tip: take the dust caps off and spray some WD40 on the ends of the bar and let it soak. (do this a week prior to attempting job)

Clio mk1 1.2
ok thanks mate i wont be doing it till end of month when i get paid coz i need to order the springs yet, have u gt a pic of urs lowered i want mine stupidly low

A silver Honda
This mine at the moment.

Lowered on coilovers (roughly 70mm at the front, 65mm at the rear)

Imag2284.jpg

Imag2283.jpg

Clio mk1 1.2
kool how much were they adn where did u get them from what exhaust have u got on there coz it looks good and does it sound nice and loud

Clio mk1 1.2
is it the quiter model exhasust you got or louder one and what does it sound like, bet it sounds better without the baffles dont it

A silver Honda
yeah, i have the 'quiet' version lol

It was louder than my mate's Magnex exhaust on his old valver (with a decat!)

The quiet ones have a silencer between the cat and the backbox.

IMAG2294.jpg

Car SOLD :-(
What wheels you running? I found that when I put 15's on a non valver/williams they rubbed like a b***ard with the torsion bar lowered! Had to get the lip ground off the rear arches and heightened slightly! Valver inner arches are wider than the standard clio's. Just something to keep in mind.

A silver Honda
My 15s are 6'5" wide with 195 /45 tyres

You must have the wrong offset mate.

15s with low profiles and the right offset is no problem.

Maybe some rubbing on the plastic mud guards, depends on the drop.

The correct offset for the Mk1 is ET36 (Renault std) you should stay as close to that as you can when buying aftermarket wheels.

I'm guessing you have ET 30 wheels or similar.

A silver Honda
Too low!

Broke an exhaust bracket going up the drive when i came back from having my coilovers setup lol

Can you see the dent in silencer? :eek:

Renault Clio 172
Mine's roughly as low as yours (Remedi), I can't really go over middle of the road bumps as the start of the exhaust starts to scrape so have to go over them at snails pace which annoys the hell out of the people behind.

I have 15"s on mine (1.4 Rt with no archwork what-so-ever) and they don't rub at all apart from hitting big bumps at speed

No more clio's for me!
Remedi said:
yeah, i have the 'quiet' version lol

It was louder than my mate's Magnex exhaust on his old valver (with a decat!)

The quiet ones have a silencer between the cat and the backbox.

IMAG2294.jpg

Fook me thats low!!! I bet even the ants scream for help when you pass over them! :cool:

i had a piece off metal welded on mine to hold it up alot more, the scraping sound is heroundous.
lowerthanacokecan.jpg

when the car was on 16's its on 15's now

1.8 Civic EX
use a steak knife!! haha

wish I could get away with my car being that low....damn woork car park and it's speed bumps!!

Clio mk1 1.2
i want mine that low mate and its going to, im going to go for the loud exhaust was it easy to fit then and is there a silencer i could have added if the police dont like it

Clio Mk 1
Now that is low!
I was told by a mechaniac that if you hit the clutch fork it will snap it clean off it no messing or bending. And on my car a right pig to change.
I think mine needs to be lifted rather than lowered due to the horrendous state of the roads i often drive on and i sometimes go across counrty in the summer, ie fields with ruts, not too deep though i manage to miss most of them.
HeHe
Matt

Last edited:
  Toyota MR2 Turbo Rev2
midge said:
i had a piece off metal welded on mine to hold it up alot more, the scraping sound is heroundous.
lowerthanacokecan.jpg

when the car was on 16's its on 15's now

tis a wee bit low!! Im gona raise mine 10mm cos of the bluddy speed bump issue! nealry lost my whole system going into a car park last month!:mad:

Whats the little black box thing to the right of ur radiator in the bumper??

None
Nice and low cars here :) Does anyone think I will have trouble going 55mm on mine?? Theres a alot of speedbumps my way and have passengers regulary. Will be doing some arch work first tho

Clio mk1 1.2
dont think you will nee arch work done mate, is it best to get coilerovers first or get springs 2 start off wit then and wheres the best place/brand 2 use