ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering on smaller wheels

There's loads of discussion on CS about whether to lower 40 or 60mm, but many don't seem to take wheel size into consideration.

I have a Clio mk1 with 15" Wolfraces with the thicker style tyres and am wondering how much to lower by. As the wheels are only an inch bigger than standard, they don't look out of place even on standard suspension compared to larger wheels.

Everyone makes out the 60mm and over are always better, but on a smaller wheel won't it draw attention to the size with the wheel closer to the top of the arch than the sides? Plus, people seem to forget that the car will already be closer to the ground with a smaller wheel.

Then again, there's the argument that a smaller wheel will be much further from the arch so should be lowered even more.

So, I can't make my mind up, or even visualise what either would look like on 15s. Does anyone have pics of mk1s lowered on 15"s or opinions they can post please?

As for coilovers... way out my budget, sorry.

Last edited:
There's loads of discussion on CS about whether to lower 40 or 60mm, but many don't seem to take wheel size into consideration.

I have a Clio mk1 with 15" Wolfraces with the thicker style tyres and am wondering how much to lower by. As the wheels are only an inch bigger than standard, they don't look out of place even on standard suspension compared to larger wheels.

Everyone makes out the 60mm and over are always better, but on a smaller wheel won't it draw attention to the size with the wheel closer to the top of the arch than the sides? Plus, people seem to forget that the car will already be closer to the ground with a smaller wheel.

Then again, there's the argument that a smaller wheel will be much further from the arch so should be lowered even more.

So, I can't make my mind up, or even visualise what either would look like on 15s. Does anyone have pics of mk1s lowered on 15"s or opinions they can post please?

As for coilovers... way out my budget, sorry.
No, it won't be (the bit i've highlighted) if the tyres are the same rolling radius they'll be the same height.

If your running low profiles (say 40 section tyres) then the rolling radius will be out, so it'll sit a bit lower.

Get side pic up of it how it looks now bud.