ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering on Standard Shocks..............

Anyone tried this? Good? Bad?
Im only looking at lowering the car about 30mm, as the standard shocks are pretty solid anyway I was looking at just getting some good quality springs. (I will probably buy new but standard shocks anyway - to be on the safe side)

Comments/suggestions gratefully received

Renault Laguna Coupe

Lowered mine 30mm on Eibach springs about 9000 miles ago. No problems. Lots of people have done this and I havnt heard of any problems.

Ive lowered mine -35mm on none-16v mk1 Clio.

I think most people say that any lower than 40mm, then problems can arise over time.

Daz.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

i know what your saying

i fitted -35mm springs on my 15yr old bmw and the shocks exploded

but on the cilo it dont happen

so dont worry

Romer - is that right 30mm? Dont you get any scrubbage when your on the track? On the AVOs I was (tiny bit on HARD cornering)....

Arjun

On standard shocks, Im on -40mm chassis dynamic springs which actually dropped it about 45mm much to my delight, and im 2 notches down on the torsion bar, i reckon thats about 70/80mm on the back.

One shocker was knackered anyway so replaced with standard one at the time and since then, no problems for ages.

Since then ive done about almost 30K miles and now its a bit sketchy! shockers are a bit shagged now!

Lionel Richie

I lowered it 40mm originally on apex springs (4months after i got the car) they were on for about 4months then i put the 60mms on it and theyve been on for about 10months still on the std factory shocks

The Clio 16v is 38mm lower at the back and 30mm at the front lower than the standard Clio anyway. Thats a lot lower by modern standards!

Phil - youll get problems if you lower a normal Clio a lot, but youve got fat arches so its all OK man!!!:D

AFAIK, you can lower it as much as itll go on the back! Thats not to say it will handle or be comfy - but the arches on a 16v/Willy will take 18s+ and lowering no problems. Youd have to start trimming the front arches though if you were going that drastic (which I dont think you are).

Ive got Chassis Dynamics springs up front (-30mm) and the back lowered by one notch on the torsion bars (-15-20mm). Thats because I wanted to keep the back slightly higher than the front for handling purposes (more progressive understeer I think).

I needed new top mounts, but so far and 10k miles later, the shocks have coped fine.

Well, Im sticking with standard wheels so that shouldnt be a problem, and a drop of about 30mm is as far as i intend to go. The valvers look pretty mean as standard but a small drop should tidy it up nicely - esp. around the back which looks a little hight when compared to the front.
I cant see such a small drop in ride height doing any damage if the shocks were in good nick.... just have to hope that the torsion bar isnt all seized up!!

Cupra K1 & Clio 200

ok, im convinced about lowering my car now since reading this thread. but i want to know which make is best from people with past experience. i have 3 possible choices, all about the same price. Can ppl give me some of their experieces with the springs, and advise me which ones to go with. thanks. the choices are as follows:

AVO - 35mm

Pi - 35mm

H & R - 30mm

Hon

PS im keepin orignal shocks.

Cupra K1 & Clio 200

Avo(35mm) £70+VAT

Pi(35mm) £66.56 +VAT

H & R (30mm) £105+VAT

But i dont mind paying that little extra if they are better.

jesus hon you given up sleeping or sommit?! ;) i had to be up4 work at 5:30,how bads that?! ive heard peopel say AVO are good springs - where you gonna get them done?

Cupra K1 & Clio 200

erm...no just got back from club, it was ok, might take u nxt week. anyway, im going to get them from needforspeed.co.uk and im gonna get this local garage to fit them on for me. dont know how much it will cost but i will pop round later for an estimate.

Clio 1.6 16V

Mike, Do you remember what the part no is for the Eibach -30mm (springs only kit), rough price and UK source? I looked on a few websites but not listed for the 2002 MKII 172. In the past Ive used Eibach springs and anti-rollbars on my MKII 16V Golf ...completely transformed an already good handling car. So would like to use these again on the Clio. Cheers, Neil

Flying Scotsman - I got the same springs on Mikes recommendation, from the same place too, got them from http://www.motorsportworld.co.ukwww.motorsportworld.co.uk, and their part number was 10-75-001-01-22, dont know if that the Eibach part no, but MotorSportWorld will sort you out (On the invoice it states the car is a 2002 Clio Sport 172), their number is 01357 529291, and they cost £126.07 including VAT and p&p.

Lionel Richie

Genagr, Apex 40mm for handling or Pi 60mm for looks (still handles well, just doesnt like tight corners in the wet!!!!!!)

from apr/may 02 until 18 nov 02, have been running on eibach -30mm on standard shox and from 18 nov, changed to sachs advantage shox...the difference was a revelation...

as time wore on, with the standard shox, i felt a lot of flotiness at high speeds...anything more than 140 to 150 was not very comfortable and going thru road humps, man, the crashing...

with the sachs shox, there is now much better chassis control and less floatiness/bounce...and the best thing is, they are cheap...of course they are not adjustable but then again...$$$ talks as i am skint...

Cupra K1 & Clio 200

Konahead, do u know if sachs have a dedicated website, or at least a supplier. i want to see if they sell any for my clio. thanks.

Fred, i think the Pi 60s are outta the equation because i think that maybe too much for my std shocks. would i be pushing my luck lowering my car 40mm on std shocks?

gengar, im in singapore, mate...i use sachs.com.sg...but i got mine thru a dealer...was cheap cheap...about 59% of the price of a koni installation...but p of course it aint fully adjustable...just one setting...

try http://www.sach.comwww.sach.com

i see yours is a mk 2...pre-facelift i suppose, right? mines a post-facelift mk 2 and im pretty darned sure they use the same...so here are the part numbers...

rear 230 277, front 230 273

hope this is of some help to you...cheers!

mailto:konahead@renaultcarclub.com">konahead@renaultcarclub.com :D

abit of a recovery (evidence of the search!!) lol, i want to lower on standard, but im thinking they are going to give in soon :/, is reno the only place you can get new standard shocks from?

Ph 1 172
ive lowered mine of 60mm springs standard shocks and not a single problem 8000miles later!! all depends what quality your shocks are in just makes them wear out quicker from what ive been told

Monblue bombay badboy!
P110208_153402.jpg

lowered on sportlines good drop great handling:)

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
likinig the mk3 alloys on the mk2, they suot the car alot better than they do the car they were intended for.

i'm thinking of dropping mine 40mm and seeing howlong the shocks last, hopefully long enough to me to have saved enough for uprated shock lol.

apex any good ive heard of sagging issue, and them ending up more like a 50mm drop, but how long before they start sagging?