ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering

I want to lower my 2002 1.2 16v by around 30-35mm, could i have opinions on which springs are the best (and prices if possible) - i will be changing the shocks for Konis

Also does anyone know if there is anywhere in Northamptonshire that will reset the torsion beam for me?? ((Not RGS Motorsport, i feel they are a bunch of cowboys - bad previous experience))

first your car havent got torsion beam, have you bend down and had a look yet, there should be 2 springs at the back.

secondly 30-35mm is not LOW ENOUGH

go for -60 Pi springs

taken from Renaults own "bold and technical information" leaflet available from all Renault dealers

Suspension -

Front, MacPherson struts with coil springs, telescopic hydraulic shock absorbers and anti-roll bar

Rear, Semi-independant, trailing arms linked by a torsion beam

Plus looks are not important, im a firm believer that 30-35mm is the optimum for handling and the speed humps where i live are almost as large as Botswana, so id prefer to keep most of the car intact

you sure that want for the 98-00 model clio, as your sig say you got a 02 model, you should have 2 springs at the back, or maybe the torsion beam was for linking the springs? :confused:

why would you want to adjust your "torsion beam" for anyway?

that just show how much renault dont even know their own car, that was out of date for 2 fecking years, now it have COIL SPRINGS at the back, stop reading all this sh*t and go out, get on your hands and knees and have a LOOK, then come back and tell me what you see.

the link you posted about torsion beam is for cars such as mk1 clio, saxo, 106, megane etc who have "torison beam" instead of springs

im aware that is a link o how to lower a saxo, but the principal is the same, the only reason i have the link is because i used to own a saxo

i would go and take a look at my car but its approx. 80 miles away because i lent it to my mum for the weekend, and im stuck driving her awesome :oops: rover 111si

ill have a look when she gets back on monday

anyway you can drop the car just by replacing the 4 springs, no need to set adjust the torison beam as the new model doesnt have them, have a good look on monday;)

if it has springs there shouldnt be a torsion beam

the french seem to think it makes a good substitute for MacPherson struts, or pig-tail springs and shocks

i will certainly be having a good look on Monday, because the wheels are coming off and being replaced with some 16" Wolfrace Ikons (its all i can afford after buying the car)

as your said before you after more handling than looks, then youre going right way about it, 15/16s lowered -35mm the handling should be tight

also if you after a induction kit in the future this is well worth considering

http://www.k-tecracing.com/products/clio2/engine/1200_16v_ind_relocation.jpg

The 1.2 16v air filter relocation kit contains a highly polished stainless steel relocation pipe which has a bracket to bolt it to the engine to hold the air filter securely in place, 2 Samco silicone joints and jubilee clips. The kit moves the air filter directly behind the front grille allowing maximum cold air flow to the filter. It also gives the induction kit a sport roar on full throttle. The kit retails for £39+vat if bought with the piper cross induction kit or £45+vat if bought on its own. The Pipercross induction kit is £73+vat.

but does the induction kit actually work, i know most cars actually perform better with the standard airbox rather than an induction kit

id need opinions on how clios react to induction kits before i put my money on the table

but i looks amazing, probably worth the money if only to use at shows

the indution kit dont work well becuase the filter are not shield from the engine heat, sucking in hot air, a ik would give or take 1hp, most people want a induction kit cause itll sounds nicer.

me when i get a bit of money ill get that kit, for the sound reason, as it is not a performance engine anyway so im not go to miss a couple of donkys

someone had a piperx viper kit on a 1.2 16v engine, that was a sealed kit and he said the only difference was at the topend/motorway speed

Lionel Richie

Right then ill clear up the torsion beam thing!!!! The clio from 98onwards does have a torsion BEAM (your thinking of a torsion BAR like on Saxos) The torsion BEAM is a trailing arm with two springs, the BEAM spans the width of the car, it doesnt/cant be reset cos there is no BAR its just like a platform i can e-mail someone a pic so they can upload it. It takes 20mins to lower the back, and i can do the front in under 60mins

H22A7 Accord Type R

I have a 2002 Dynamique.........I agree, 4 x springs required! They are higly visible when u are cleaning in the back of the rear wheels! I also want to Lower mine 30/35mm......to keep the handling sensible and adjustable.....not hard and bouncy. As for the Air Filter relocation Pipe, I asked k-tec and they told me the diameter of the pipe as i want to get a K&N to bolt onto the end of it! Should sound good, if only small power gains. Only considering it with the relocation pipe, due to the cold air supply it gives the filter! Cheers all, Rob

ive got the relocation pipe with pipercross filter fitted on my 2002 1.2 16v and the quality of the kit is second to none just remove the plastic blanking plate from behind the grill and there you have it!! just to let you know the car pulls better now past the 100mph mark but i do feel that renaults recomended service intervals are miles to far apart my car feels nowhere near as quick as when i brought it! i used to be able to get well beyond 100mph now it struggles!!

Lionel Richie

mine gets up to 100 easily enough (limiter in 4th!!!!:devilish:)then it slowly creaps upto 115 (i mean SLOWLY like a 5mile run on the flat!!!!!)

H22A7 Accord Type R

@ the end of the day lads, we only have 1.2s lol!!! Yeah mine gets to 100 ok, and have had it at 120mph b4. I have jetex panel filter in the standard air box, with a make-shift cold air feed pipe coming out of the air box, going to the blanking panel (while im still on the free insurance). i also drilled a few holes in the box for added noise, although it probably take a it of the performance away! I am lookin forward to getting this relocation pipe though!!! Want to get a Magnex or Devil system for it too.......but might look into PowerFlow systems also!

the free insurance scheemes pretty good because they cant charge you for any mods you do and they will cover you! all my mods are declared 17s, filter, exhaust and £1500 stereo gear and the only thing they charged me for was admin costs to put it on my insurance just £40 allthough they only cover up to £800 for stereo gear! oh yes and the mods you do have to be cheaper than the bits youre replacing! thanks to renaults hideously overpriced spares believe me this wont be a problem! i.e new air filter box £69.99 +vat pipercross filter £65+vat or my wheels 17/40/205 yokos on tsw flys £550 all in compared to renaults crap 15" wheels£489.99 +vat!!

H22A7 Accord Type R

I asked my insurance about lowering the car and they told me I cannot do it as it makes the car slightly faster!!!!!! They would let me tint my windows tho lol