ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LPG'd E30 Touring Lux Lagoon Green Daily

Dont know how many people this will interest, but I'm bored and I know a couple of people have E30's on here. Well after SORN'ing the Clio for winter (well more than likely forever) I was on the lookout for a winter daily to get me about, and move car parts around. A mate was selling an E30 estate, that had been converted to LPG a year ago. Although it was only a 316i, it was alright to use as a runabout. Decided to buy it as the price was cheap..

The downsides were it had done 200k miles, was quite slow when fully loaded, and had the all the common E30 gripes - cracked dashboard, sagging roofliner, faded paint and a rusty tailgate. I purchased it without the 14" BBS wheels, and stuck with the 14" Steels inc pimp trims..

th_33757_10150282233945228_737935227_15021502_6017614_n.jpg
th_61538_10150282235020228_737935227_15021529_1294002_n.jpg
th_61538_10150282235010228_737935227_15021527_3946546_n.jpg

In the first week I tidied it up a bit, checked over the LPG system and just drove it as intended. I had the headlights apart and smoked the reflectors in the dipped beam, then fitted Xenons to the projectors. It still needed the main beam 'smoked trick' doing, but I never got round to it.

76457_10150097325716369_732386368_7147226_3330041_n.jpg

After only 10 days of ownership I spotted another E30 Touring for sale on another forum. It was a 318i Lux, with 15" BBS, Sunroof, 3 years newer, only 120k miles, Tax until April, MOT until Feb and full BMW service history.

The price was rediculous (Can anyone guess?) so within an hour of the ad being posted I went to look at it - when I arrived I spotted it had a tow bar too which was another bonus. The rooflining was mint, the dashboard didnt have a single crack and the tailgate had no rust. Took it for a spin round the block and paid a deposit on it straight away..

th_gt2.jpg
th_gt.jpg

I decided I wanted to remove the LPG system from the Red 316i so it could be put onto the newer better condition 318. It was a lot easier than I expected, and after a bit of research I ended up doing it all in a couple of hours (Tank, Line, Loom + ECU, Vapouriser, etc). Another mate was interested in buying the 316i as a standard petrol to use as a daily too, so we agreed on a price without the LPG and the money changed hands.

I swapped the insurance to the 318i (Which was acctually cheaper, go figure?) and went to collect it around a week ago. It drove faultlessly on the way back, a lot tighter and more solid than the other. At the end of the day its a ~16 year old car thats done 120k miles, but it drove like 10k old clio it was that solid, lol. After having a proper read of the service history its been done on the dot every time since it was purchased, along with a cambelt/waterpump change at 109k in 2009, ideal. For the price I paid it was an absolute bargin, so so much car for the money.

The majority of the LPG system had been removed from the 316i already as mentioned above, all that was left was the modified inlets. The plan was to swap the inlets from the 318i to the 316i and visa versa, as luckily they are the same. The difference is the LPG ones have a vaccum take off for the map sensor, and four tapped fittings for the LPG injectors. We spent an evening swapping the inlets and got both cars running fine on petrol, job done.

I have still got to fit the remaining parts of the LPG system to the 318i, but the weather has been crap this week so not got round to it - Il fill this thread with the details of the system as I fit it, as no doubt someone will want a read.

It seems most tourings that are four cylinder have a reverse rake going on with the suspension height as standard, probably because the engine is so light. This was the first thing that needed to be sorted as I hated how high it was. After a 60mm drop on the front it looked a lot better. Also smoked the front and side tango indicators.

Untitled-1.jpg

I only purchased the 318i as it was so cheap and had a lot more things with it than the 316i, but after finding out it had a tow bar too I decided it could be a good car to keep even after the winter, depending on how much weight it will tow when I test it sometime soon - even moreso with it running on LPG.

The Clio is most probably never going back on the road, as I have access to a trailer and will just take it to trackdays on that. The 318i only had 115bhp and 119lb/ft when it was new, so I will need to see what sort of weight it can pull. If it struggles, I guess a 325 engine could be on the cards at some point :boring:

Weirdly the Touring is £600-700 cheaper to insure than the same model/engine in a coupe/saloon, but Im quite glad as its ideal for me as I want to be able to put engines and all sorts of sh*t in the back. The first job was last weekend getting the whole front running gear from a 172 in the back, along with the rear beam and tons of other stuff. Needless to say it was weighed down a bit..

Untitled-2.jpg

There were a couple of bad points on the 318i, that were not apparent when first buying it. One was the front seats were worn quite a lot, which is a very common thing. I had agreed to swap the front seats with the better condition ones from the Red 316i before making the deal when selling it. Ive since swapped those for a tidier looking interior. Also fitted an iPod headunit, decent mats, debadged the back and cleaned it out - ideal.

The other main thing was the front brakes which I spotted when the front was lowered - the pads were OK but the lips on the disc were huge! I had a look round the internet and managed to win some brand new Brembo Disks + Genuine BMW pads for £26 on eBay - never used from an unfinished project. They would have cost over £100 easily elsewhere, so another little bargin.

A couple of other small niggles like the glovebox handle gets stuck, the rear wiper does not latch on, the rear washer does not work etc. All little bits ive been sourcing parts for and will no doubt be sorted soon..

The first thing I wanted to do was respray the entire front grille in satin black, as parts were becoming faded with age. Removed the lot the other night...

IMG_2805.jpg

Then got painting..

IMG_2795.jpg

IMG_2797.jpg

Which will hopefully look a lot better. I need to split apart and smoke the headlights again at some point as I much prefer them like I did on the Red 316i, another small job to do sometime. I also painted the black bits below the doors (sills), and the black border round the bottom of the rear bumper with some decent chassis paint, which tidied it up no end.

After some rain earlier in the week I went out in the car to see how it would take a bit of sideways action - to which I was pleasntly suprised being a pretty heavy car and only a 1.8 8v. Although, after the bit of fun I ended up getting the brake pad level warning light, the ABS warning light up on the dashboard, and a squeeking rear disc/pad, lol. I assumed the brake pad warning was due to the fronts - so checked it out and it turns out someone had tried to bodge it with some wire, which was soon fixed :)

I thought the ABS might be related to the back, so I had the wheels off and checked over the brakes which were pretty worn too. I decided to just order some new rear disks and pads, so all the brakes on the car will be new when I get round to fitting them - one less thing to worry about :cool:

IMG_2816.jpg

Anyway, I will update the thread when I re-fit the rest of the LPG, as it might interest someone, along with any other bits. I know quite a few on here who have had E30's in the past, so is there much more to watch out for? As I said earlier, it drives better than a new Clio even on 120k IMO, but I suppose thats BMW build quality :rolleyes:

Hopefully once I've sorted the niggles and consumables it will do the job for a long while to come, along with towing next year :star: More soon!

I would have never owned a bimmer, or changed for the green one for that matter if they weren't as cheap as I got them. I thought the red one was cheap until I got the green one for hundreds cheaper...

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
A new project - yay!

I look forward to the stripped and cage'd pics ;)

Jamie, unfortunately not!

and lol, never, ever!

Its too comfy, especially with heaters and the seat wound back. Radio is something ive not had for 3 years too! Suprising that a car this old can drive faultlessly with no knocks, rattles, whines or bangs - its just great! Its one of them though, probably just always been used as a A-to-B car and never thrashed, which is the way I intend to keep it. I would have bought an M3 if I wanted that :rasp:

Never above 25mpg
Tourings are dead cheap! Good job on the LPG as the MPG on these are shocking for nowadays standards!

Looking forward to see what you do with it further :)

Looks a cracking bargain Jord.

Paid £390 for it in the end, and pretty much paid nothing for the LPG system after selling the Red 316i :)

Cool

I've just got in from a bowl out in my 320! Charactor cars

Yeah, they drive very smoothly!

Tourings are dead cheap! Good job on the LPG as the MPG on these are shocking for nowadays standards!

Looking forward to see what you do with it further :)

The MPG on petrol aint too bad on a decent cruise. I get about 70-80 miles to £10 with majority motorway, so about 35-40mpg, and pretty much double that when on LPG with it being half the price! Not too far off how the clio was

Never above 25mpg
The MPG on petrol aint too bad on a decent cruise. I get about 70-80 miles to £10 with majority motorway, so about 35-40mpg, and pretty much double that when on LPG with it being half the price! Not too far off how the clio was

Ah nice. My 320i had a fuelling problem! I was getting 150 miles to £40 :dead: but it's gone up for sale again and I want it back for an engine conversion.

Yeah, probably was something no setup right somewhere then lol. There are quite of people giving away the 320 engines on the E30 forum, but when I looked at it I dont think id bother, may aswell make the effort for a 2.5 or bigger. But at the end of the day, my LPG system wouldnt work on them as its only for four cylinders. It will do as it is for now I suppose :)

Never above 25mpg
Yeah, probably was something no setup right somewhere then lol. There are quite of people giving away the 320 engines on the E30 forum, but when I looked at it I dont think id bother, may aswell make the effort for a 2.5 or bigger. But at the end of the day, my LPG system wouldnt work on them as its only for four cylinders. It will do as it is for now I suppose :)

Yeah I got a bit of ridicule on E30Zone first of all as the 320i's only advantages are the smoothness of how it rides/accelerates and the sound it makes.
The 325i is basically the same engine but better power for the fuel consumption which is mildly better than the 320i!
I'd be looking to stick an M52 in it though with somebody's knowledge!

Great cars though. You can retrofit EVERYTHING!

e91 330d/type r mini
love e30 tourings, i had 2 of them one 320 and a 325i. neither car let me down once but the 320 was very lame so woukld dread to think what the 318 is like.

You do have an M3 though, lol. To be honest I haven't even taken it over 3k RPM, just been pottering round normally and its fine for that. My previous two 'dailys' in the past couple of years were a Fiesta 1.2 and a Valver, so I wasnt really expecting much from it to be honest! Does me just fine for now...

Mk2 Golf gti
Cool, looks good, just been with my bf to get a 325i e30 today, seems pretty good so far :) i love their mean look from the front :D

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Awesome looks sweet not keen on the colour but its a bargin what more do you want!

Got something for you to look at on it when you have a bit of free time Mike, some rig-up previous owner has attempted a touch up to a mark on the tailgate and you might know what to do lol.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Just a bit of a change from the Clio Jord, bet you feel like you're driving a sofa!!!

Good choice for a daily, although maybe a bit lame for towing?? Just have to make the Clio even lighter ;)

Just a bit of a change from the Clio Jord, bet you feel like you're driving a sofa!!!

Good choice for a daily, although maybe a bit lame for towing?? Just have to make the Clio even lighter ;)

Lol, well I didnt buy it for the towing originally as I didnt even know it had the towbar until I got there. Just gonna have to see, i know people towing horseboxes with 1.6 astras so will just have to see how much it can tow - its not really the towing thats putting the load on it, its just the setting off, once its moving I dont see it being that much of a problem?

Bloody hell u go through some cars pal - how long before its stripped for track use ;)

northy

Lol, even stripped it would be too heavy! Ive got these wheels here for you, let me know when you are in and il drop them off..

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Love it.

Don't worry about later mate, I'll pick the dephaser up on Saturday morning, if that's ok?

TBH mate, i will pop over for them sunday as i am always passing yours on the A580

No probs just give me a call..

Love it.

Don't worry about later mate, I'll pick the dephaser up on Saturday morning, if that's ok?

Yeah no worries, il be back and forward to manchester in the next few days anyway so either way just let me know..

Daily beaters are great aren't they...
my passat is the second best car i have ever bought after my valver

Yeah, ideal for just driving about in..

What kind of mileage are you going to be doing in it Jord? I may be able to save you a small fortune ;)

Quite a bit, Had it 6/7 days and put 1k on it already. How? lol

Cheers for the PM duck, although I probably do too much milage for it, along with maybe not being old enough?

Managed to get a few jobs out of the way on it over the past couple of days, mainly bits that were annoying me. The brake pad warning light had been on since I got it (but I thought it was pretty rare they work properly, especially on a 20 year old car!), along with a squeeking noise every so often from the N/S rear. After a week of driving the rear wheels were covered in brake dust compared to the fronts so something was obviously wrong. The disks looked pretty old/pitted, so I decided to just replace the rear disks and pads...

When I came to take the old pads out of the caliper I noticed the outer pad (on both sides) was sat incorrectly, and the caliper was jammed at a funny angle. The pad had pretty much fallen out of the carrier and could not go any further due to the disk..

IMG_2818-1.jpg

IMG_2821.jpg

I thought someone may have fitted them wrongly, but I have since found out they are possibly E36 pads that someone has tried to fit instead, obviously causing this issue. Due to them being sat like that the wear was pretty uneven to say the least..

IMG_2823-1.jpg

IMG_2824-1.jpg

After a bit of a battle with rusty bolts everything came off and the new stuff went on fine, with plenty of copper grease. After around 30 miles everything is still in place as it should be - so hopefully no more issues with the rear brakes for a long time to come.

The car has never really got upto temperature since I've had it, and once driving it would always sit near the bottom of the gauge. I thought it was a knackered thermostat that was stuck open, but thought I would bleed the system again anyway to double check there wasnt an air lock in there somewhere. After bleeding it was exactly the same, so I picked up a new thermostat and fitted it to the car..

IMG_2828.jpg

IMG_2832.jpg

Removed the bleed screw, topped up the water and ran the car upto temperature. Gave it a good drive and the needle now sits bang on in the middle all the time along with the heaters getting red hot when required - problem solved :)

Mk5 Ibiza Cupra
very interesting read! i mind they had one of these on Wheeler Dealers a few years back, blue 325i it was - looked mint in the end!
Absolute bargain price for the car though!

Yeah, if it wasnt so cheap I would have kept the red one. After driving it for nearly two weeks now its averaging the same MPG as the red one used to on petrol, so the bigger 318i engine cant be any worse. Getting between 30-35mpg with all short start stop journeys, so not far off the clio really. Really need to crack on and finish the LPG mind...

Anyway, the front brakes needed sorting badly, as the lip on the disc was huge and the pedal felt crap. Managed to win these on eBay for £26...

IMG_2840.jpg

Brand New Brembo Disks and Genuine BMW Front Pads, another good bargin.

Set about removing the old discs to find someone had already been there before me and rounded off the retaining bolt - on both sides! Had to drill the heads off to get the disc off. These things remind me why I hate working on old cars, especially when people have f*cked up in the past and just left it :dead:

IMG_2837.jpg

IMG_2838.jpg

After p*ssing round with that for a while, managed to get them off. Didnt bother wasting more time trying to get the threads out as they wouldnt move easily with the grips, so just ground them flat and left them there. New vs Old..

IMG_2843.jpg

..and all fitted back to the car...

IMG_2844.jpg

The whole car stops 100x better now, especially with new rears too. Sorted a few other niggles, checked the front and rear wishbone bushes etc - all seem fine thankfully. More soon :)

Clio 172 PH1, Mini
Great read. I'm a real fan of these and really want a e30 touring. They look so nice when they are dropped 60mm. The 318 looks mint for the money. I will be following this thread with a keen eye lol!

Charged Superleggera
this is a good project you have foxy. Always love reading your project threads threads man and i love your dedication.

Finished the LPG install the other day, done around 300-400 miles on it now but all seems fine. Needs a slight tune I think, but will be getting that sorted soon. Made a new filler pipe mounted from the towbar instead of having to drill the bodywork too, il put some details up about it (and the whole system) sometime soon :)

The back has also been lowered around 20-30mm too, matches the front well. It now has the advantage of the rear springs being slightly stiffer too. Grabbed a couple of pictures on the phone the other day..

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-6.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg