ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LSD Differential for cliosport

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I'm after an LSD differential for my 172, but don't know of any company's etc that have an "off the shelf" kit for my car. Does anybody know of any that do this? If so, could i please have details! website preferably, thanks!

Also, while i'm here, when changing the oil on the sport, does the filter need priming, or anything other things?? Or just straight drain and replace? I've got some Elf fully synthetic 5W40 i'm gonna try.

CHeers,

KR

Drop Yozza a Pm I'm sure he can remember the company who sell them.
Gripper do one but its £800 or so unfitted.
Theres another company who make them but I cannot remember there name.

Nope nothing needs priming when doing the oil thats Elf stuff is fine I think its got a good reputation.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
3k??! Is that custom, off the shelf etc?? and which company is that? Thanks for that

Half stripped mk2 172
I was after one as well, but fred's right, i was quoted 3k, its the one the clio racers use i believe. But the gripper one looks fine. Vince

MKIII 138
theres a guy on here with a LSD for his 200bhp cup does 0-60 in 5.1 secs !

think its a quaiffe or gripper. shouldnt be anywhere near £3k imo

hope this helps

MKIII 138
rmccardal said:
Fred is used to quoting 3k .... minimum Yozzasport invoice value. ;)

lol fred`s prices are based on the best tuning parts known to man made out of gold and star dust.. they always cost loads

Ph1
meggerman said:
theres a guy on here with a LSD for his 200bhp cup does 0-60 in 5.1 secs !

think its a quaiffe or gripper. shouldnt be anywhere near £3k imo

hope this helps

Geeezzzzzz

Bet without it, it would never get under 6 seconds either !!!

Well on the Gripper site there's 2 for the Clio.

One at £840 and the other at £1270

Not sure which would be the one to use for a 172 / 182 but if you could get one bought and fitted for 1.5k, it might be a very worth while mod judging by that 0 - 60 figure

meggerman said:
lol fred`s prices are based on the best tuning parts known to man made out of gold and star dust.. they always cost loads

I reckon you wouldnt be far off £2500-3000 once you've got labour, bearings, seals and gaskets.

Thats unless of course you can magic it in!!!

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
Quaife ATB diff, try Bernie @ www.gearboxman.co.uk top service with amazing reputation in ford RS scene. Cant see it being much over £1200.

EDIT: Seems they dont list one, maybe worth seeing if they want to develop one tho, test car would get a free one id imagine.

Last edited:
Your are looking at £3k for a company to do it obviously mates rates etc will lower it and if a company want to do it as a demo then costs might be lower.
Since you need the gearbox stripping down it might be worth having the ratios changed at the same time.

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
Cant see why the cost would be so high if ATB make one, I had an MTX75 rebuilt with ATB for around grand, thats a modernish gearbox and cant be greatly different to the renault box.

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
Yasser (who i think has moved abroad) has lsd on his cup with shorter gear ratios all work done by Mark Fish, the car is a handful on the road, but worthwhile as he did a lot of trackdays.

get the gripper, traditional plate types pull the pants down on ATB's.

The setup shouldnt cost you more than £1200 for the diff installed in a box, and whatever labour you care to pay for when removing and installing the box from the car.

Paul, quaife have been doing diffs and gearsets and gearbox;s for fords for ages, they throw them out the door....economies of scale, they will be cheaper than the renault box's they do a year.

BenR said:
get the gripper, traditional plate types pull the pants down on ATB's.

The setup shouldnt cost you more than £1200 for the diff installed in a box, and whatever labour you care to pay for when removing and installing the box from the car.

Paul, quaife have been doing diffs and gearsets and gearbox;s for fords for ages, they throw them out the door....economies of scale, they will be cheaper than the renault box's they do a year.

ATB types are much more civil for road use and also require no maintenance as per plate types.
Plate types also put more strain on the driveshafts duie to there operation (shock loading).
I do agree that for competition use a plate type does have more advantages though.

i've never found any ATB application any good on road or track, sure they have their benefits, but i'd rather have an open diff than an ATB..........and i like quaife!!!

most cars just understeer like crap after.

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
More understeer?? Makes a huge improvement on fords and due to the power delivery of a turbo engine they understeer for Britain when accelerating out of a corner!

Not just cheap diff's for Ford, nearly all ATBs can be bought for less than £500 inc Pug 106/205 and Citroen Saxo!

yes, but they pump out their already designed diffs all day long, ask for a clio one, or design a clio one and well.......last time there were talks of £1k+ for 10.

Anyway, i'm not a fan of them, never had and never will be.....they dont do what they should, dont help and if you have to have a diff, do it properly....not an ATB.