ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LSD in a 197

Clio 197 Track Car
Hi all,

This has no doubt been covered before but i'm failing miserably using search...

My 197 is pretty well setup for track (Gaz Gold's, stripped out, full cage etc) however i'm surprised just how much it struggles with grip in the corners. In particular traction for the inside wheel out of tight apex's. I have always been keen on diff's since my old Cooper S and was wondering what options are out there?

For example, can i fit a gearbox from an R26 Meg directly to the 197 lump as a quick win? OR do i need to start looking at Quaiffe, Kaz etc etc?

What do people recommend?

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
You could fit the megane box, but it would be a bit of work and the raios would not be suited to n/a. If it's lifting the inside wheel, i would say this could be reduced by a bit of suspension setup fettling.

Clio 197 Track Car
You could fit the megane box, but it would be a bit of work and the raios would not be suited to n/a. If it's lifting the inside wheel, i would say this could be reduced by a bit of suspension setup fettling.

This is a very valid point and something i've been pondering a lot...

The car came with a 'track setup' but to me it feels odd (and is frankly horrible on the road). As it stands the front is soft and the rear is very stiff, leading to it hopping over bumps in the road, but does have electric turn in. It also means over a series of undulations it almost bobs like a 911 where the front and rear are fighting each other.

Is this a common setup for track Clio's? It felt fine at maximum attack on track but that was a dead flat Silverstone, i fear at a more undulated circuit like Donny or Cadwell it could behave quite oddly?

Clio 197 Track Car
You can see here that it does dive under braking a tad:
49078655162_78a25dc4aa_b.jpg
EN9I3613 by Opentrack Track Days, on Flickr

Level:

49078407246_43b5a44df5_b.jpg
EN9I4004 by Opentrack Track Days, on Flickr

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
having something which is comfy on the road is always going to be a compromise for something which is going to handle well on track.
have you had a mess with the damper settings yet?

Clio 197 Track Car
having something which is comfy on the road is always going to be a compromise for something which is going to handle well on track.
have you had a mess with the damper settings yet?

I've had a few track cars, but none have been a total pig on the road like the Clio is. I do fully intend to have a play with the setup, my fear being i make it worse!

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
just keep track of what you're doing. Maybe the pre-load is set up wrong on them, maybe the geo needs some playing with.
what tyres are you running on the road?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
just keep track of what you're doing. Maybe the pre-load is set up wrong on them, maybe the geo needs some playing with.
what tyres are you running on the road?

It may need an alignment if it's twitchy to handle.

Preload isn't really a thing on linear rate springs i've found out recently.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
Ah but if someone's sound the spring cup right up on one side it definitely won't be helping things.
Alot of people just take coilovers out the box and fit them without checking

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
I would get the wheels off and check the gaz have not developed cracks or any other damage.
My gaz had cracks in the rears after one track day and glad I got rid of them as the car was better on avo's (car wasn't a clio). Also if its dipping and diving under braking fronts could of lost fluid so just running with the springs.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Ah but if someone's sound the spring cup right up on one side it definitely won't be helping things.
Alot of people just take coilovers out the box and fit them without checking

Corner weighing is the best way to see if you have things spot on.

Clio 197 Track Car
Cheers gents, i will do all of the above - appreciate the insights.

The car is generally in very good condition so I really hope the Gaz's are in good condition! (i've for the receipt and they certainly weren't cheap!)

@RSRowe i'm running Michelin Pilot Cup 2's

Clio 197 Track Car
This is the spec relating to the geo:

Gaz Gold's
Adjustable top mounts
Rear geometry shims (not sure i understand what these are? (i.e. not spacers)
New hubs & bushes
Pro Race 1.2's
Michelin PS Cup 2's

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
This is the spec relating to the geo:

Gaz Gold's
Adjustable top mounts
Rear geometry shims (not sure i understand what these are? (i.e. not spacers)
New hubs & bushes
Pro Race 1.2's
Michelin PS Cup 2's

The rear shims are to alter the toe or camber, or both.