ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LSD on Mk1 V6

V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe
Hi all,

I remember reading somewhere that the Mk1 V6 doesnt have LSD. But I found out that my Mk1 V6 does have LSD.

V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe
if the car is in the air and both the wheels move, then it has lsd right?

RenaultSport clio 17
That would mean its rear wheel drive.

An LSD comes in handy when the traction to the rear is compromised. LSD transfers power between the two rear wheels, a normal diff doesnt. So one wheel is going like buggery and the other one doesnt move.

And if thats not true, it does half sound like I know what Im talking about doesnt it.

RenaultSport clio 17
Andy D said:
Errr ... yes ... it's a V6 :hail:

yes i know that, i was referring to "if both wheels are off the ground and both move its got an LSD".

That fact just makes it RWD, which it is.

Damn you to Hades! ;)

In a normal gearboxed car if you jack it up and spin one wheel the other will spin in the oposite way thats just normal not sure what happens with an LSD though.

clio v6
with both wheels off the ground ..if you rotate a wheel and the other one rotates the opposite way no lsd...if it rotates the same way it HAS a lsd.
ok?

V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe
clarkiev6 said:
with both wheels off the ground ..if you rotate a wheel and the other one rotates the opposite way no lsd...if it rotates the same way it HAS a lsd.
ok?

Then mine def has an LSD. Very wierd...... But good surprise

V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe
is it possible that the ones in Hong Kong came with it? This is really wierd. Maybe previous owner fitted one.

Lionel Richie
172's do the same, and they haven't got an LSD

you can test if you have kilo, when stationary turn the car to full lock, floor the throttle and dump the clutch

let me know what happens (if you f**k your clutch, its not my fault!!! LOL!!)

klio said:
is it possible that the ones in Hong Kong came with it? This is really wierd. Maybe previous owner fitted one.

we never sold any with an lsd and never heard of an owner putting one in.

nor have i heard of one for that box anyway.

V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe
then its pretty wierd. dont know why mine seems to have an LSD then. but im pretty sure mine has lsd. with the car jacked up, both wheels went the same way. I will check again this weekend.

V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe
Why would I hear clunking. I can check again this weekend, how can I confirm?

V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe
So if I have the car in the air, let go the clutch in 1st both wheel spin the same way=LSD?

E91 M Sport
^^ Nope, that would happen normally.

Try doing doughnuts in a big empty space. If you can keep the front wheels on the same spot with the back doing wild circles, you have an LSD. If, however, your car just goes flying off the spot, you don't have one. :)

Just thought, another way of telling is to do dump the clutch from a standing start...if you produce a number 11 on the (dry) road, you probably have an LSD!

V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe
miketheman2k said:
^^ Nope, that would happen normally.

Try doing doughnuts in a big empty space. If you can keep the front wheels on the same spot with the back doing wild circles, you have an LSD. If, however, your car just goes flying off the spot, you don't have one. :)

Just thought, another way of telling is to do dump the clutch from a standing start...if you produce a number 11 on the (dry) road, you probably have an LSD!

Cant try that, I have R tires on my car, will probably bust the tranny or the drive shafts.

Lionel Richie
with the rear of the car in the air, spin one wheel by hand, the wheel on the other side will spin the other way

you haven't got an LSD 100% promise

Clio Williams
A few things to check to see if you have an LSD...

As you have said, jack the car up, if both wheels spin in the same direction in neutral you have an LSD

Also if one of the drive wheels is on the ground when jacked up, the other will not spin, even in neutral

LSD's are clonky and will notice this most when in neutral at idle. Also tend to make a slight grating noise when on the move

Hope this helps

Cheers
Col