ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lumpy 172

Not long had my mk 1 172:), noticed that tickover is a bit well, lumpy. Is that normal for the 172 or should they be smooth as silk? Its not long had a service with new plugs and filter, so that should all be fine and apart from tickover, it starts and seems to drives fine. Also Im getting 23MPG according to the OBC, driving is a mix of city and short full throttle dual carriageways only, but that still seems a tad extreme to me!? any ideas?

sometimes you will notice a "flutter" or slightly lumpy idle, its not uncommon seems to be intermittant and is apparently down to the way the ECU adjusts timing and fuelling

CTR EK9 turbo

theyre all lumpy. The computer MPG is not so good at being accurate or so ive come to understand.......

BrynO

when started first thing in the morning mine is very lumpy. Obviously when it has warmed up it is better, but even after a hard charge the idle is far from smooth. I guess it is just a characteristic of the engine!

Yeah mine is the same. I dont remeber it being so bad at 24K (when I bought it) but the previous driver was a young lady (my supervisor) that prob didnt rag it in the same way that I do.

My exhaust/gearbox makes a squeeking sound if you go slowly over bumps after a hard drive too. Havent isolated this one yet...

People, jsut think about the engine and its design for a sec and what it has to deal with.

If you call that a lumpy idle then i have no idea what smooth is mean to be.

Ben these people dont understand that.

They want sporty suspension but they dont want it harsh.

They want a fast revvy engine that idles smoothly.

They want large wheels with low profile tyres that dont increase road noise.

They want a fast car but it has to be silent.

They want good looks but for it to be practical.

They want a 4 cylinder engine to be as smoth as a straight 6.

They dont understand and never will.

you can remove me from that list thanks chris i am fully aware of all of those facts. i am only too aware that a car with high lift or high duration i.e. performance cams will have a lumpier idle than a standard or non performance orientated cam. ! am also aware that a 6cyl will be far smoother than a 4 cyl i work for a bmw dealer so i regularly get the chance to sample silky smooth 6, 8 and even 12 cyl engines

2012 WRX Waggon

Quote: Originally posted by Chris_H on 26 July 2003

They dont understand and never will.
Thats cos all us mere mortals are thick, and should have our keys taken away from us cos we are clearly not intelligent enough to drive ;).

Er, excuse me Chris H and Ben R, my question was is a lumpy tick-over normal it was not a winge about it not being silky smooth. As a new owner I just want to establish if I have a problem here. Clearly not!