ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lumpy idle 172

I ve had my cup for 2 months now and im really happy with it.....but it does have a really uneven idle. Took it to renault and they said they all do that, connected it to there diagnostics and said it was ok. They said it was due to the engine being highly tuned... Ive had loads of fast cars and none have ever been like this. Seems to go fast enough, anyone else suffer from this?

Cheers

Lou

the slight "flutter" or what you would call lumpy idle is down to the slightly mild cams (higher lift performance cams always result in a slightly lumpy idle) and the ignition/fuel management. its totally normal nothing to worry about and if you think the 172 has a lumpy idle come out in my mates 205 pug with a transplanted gti6 lump with twin 45s and a set of race cams.

hi, yeh i got a nearly new one and mine does the same,as you say they go fine,there just a bit lumpy on idle,have read somewhere about having the ecu remaped at reno which helps,im getting them to do mine on first service.

shuan

if its only two months old i doubt that it will need an ecu software update. it is true they revise them from time to time and they will download them onto the ecu when you have a service if there is a later version than the one your car is currently mapped with

Cheers for that, will speak to renault about a remap, never heard of that before though. That pug should fly, used to have a 205 with a mi16 and that was a bit quick! Car is a 2002 model and was serviced last october.

is it a new cup, or have you had it 2 months, as for doubting it needs an ecu upgrade (172loony),this is renault and if the car was only 2 months old you can still bet its been sat around reno for over a year, as they stopped builiding a while ago.

there was a paper going around renault about it and it does affect the cup and the 172

shaun

if its been that long since its been serviced then its possible it will need an update. best thing to do is go to the dealer and get them to put it on the CLIP

Elise/VX220/R26

mines the same, when I first got it it was fine but nowit chugs away and shakes a little on tickover

"this is normal for a performance car" is exactly what reno said

The cam timing isnt that lump, but the profile is highly agressive, they can afford to run it like that with the finger follower bearing design.

The emission compliance and general state of the engine means itll always run lumpier than an lexus, but personally i dont think it runs lumpy at all....

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

all the newer renault 16v engines have a very slight uneven tickover.hardly noticable but a characteristic of the engine im afraid.