ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lumpy idle + very quick kind of pulsing sound when idling

blue 182/Corrado
Just had timing belt tensioners + inlet cam pulley done. Got timing belt done as it was due but had to get inlet cam pulley done as engine was rattling after running for about 5 mins with just the timing belt done. It drives fine but just seems to be quite lumpy when idling + it kind of pulses like a washing machine! I've heard they can be a bit lumpy when idling but just not sure if it's anything to worry about! Thoughts?

blue 182/Corrado
not sure if this is related or not but in low revs in 2nd & 3rd it kind of struggles more than it should to climb up the revs? Also this morning felt a dragging feeling in 3rd but not sure if it was just cos the engine was cold but not had that before. Hope so!

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
My 1.6 has had a similar idle issue until yesterday. OBD were showing intermittent O2 sensor faults, so fitted another CAT & downstream sensor and was still the same. Was going to switch out the mani (couldn't get enough leverage in the bay to remove the sensor in mine :() with another upstream sensor in but happened to read a thread on another forum about the throttle bodies coking up.

Sure enough full of caked on oil from the purge canister, outer edges of the butterfly aperture were clogged/blocked. Cleaned out with petrol and a piece of cotton to get down to the spindle on the butterfly and its running a lot better with no more stalling while downshifting under braking (idle was reading zero beforehand! :dead:).

I'd certainly recommend giving this a try before resorting to spending money/effort on sensor replacement :cool: