ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

lumpy tickover 172 cup

MK2 PH2 172 cup
hi all
does anybody else have this, my 172 cup seems very lumpy on tickover until shes been running for quiet a while perhaps 15-20 mins normal useage, or is this normal?

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
The 172 doesnt, but the 1.6(k4m) has seemingly been running rich on idle for around past 15-20k. Seems to behave better when there's higher atmos moisture, but on any given day idles between just over 0-1k. Out of interest, how consistent is the idle value on your cup?

clio 172 cup
mines like thats aswell. any its been scanned and no faults come up and recently had new plugs.

Ph 1 172
pretty sure this is a common thing all 172's are lumpy on first start up mine does it and so does loads of people on here...its got something to do with renault getting this car through emmision test if i remember rightly. it goes way like you said once the car has warmed up and everything is up to temperature..

MK2 PH2 172 cup
ah right :approve: good to know its not just mine lol
my tickover is i would say 800 just under the 1000 never seems to go below that even when lumpy and ticking over

Megane Trophy, Golf
They all same, summat to do with protecting engine I think. It helps if you run on V-power and put some cleaner in fuel tank every now and again. :)

Ph 1 172
got to say i have ran mine on v power and standard unleaded and never really noticed a difference..... redex seems ok as engine cleaner i use that every couple of months.... but make sure all your air/oil/spark plugs and what not are fresh and not in need of a service..... my 172 idles between 800 and 1100rpm when cold and then goes and sits at about 750rpm warm ...i think lol

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
nice 1 thanks for that ill try it :D any sugestions which cleaner

Quick warning, I ran redex through to see if was an injector issue. Seemed to help a little, but got an emissions warning light error twice in the following 3 few weeks. Assume it can give a false trigger once its de-coked but don’t quote me on that. Birchdown gave it an initial reset to see if it re-occurred with the second time renault suggesting a new cat (typical :rolleyes:). Passed MOT two weeks ago however and levels were fine.

Mine's the same until it's warmed up, think nearly every 1*2 does it. It feels awful to drive as well and my exhaust pops until it's been running for a few minutes lol.

Mine's often like this when started from cold. Apparently some of the 197s are even worse unless they've had the map update from Renault. I'm fairly certain that Renault's official stance is that it's a high performance engine and needs warming up.

Jackanory. Poor engineering.

Rys

Clio 2 RS 182
I quite like it, adds character :D Especially since nothing's actually wrong with it.

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
My mum said it to me "Your cars really lumpy sounding in the morning is it broken?" lol

Most if not all are lumpy I think.

MK2 PH2 172 cup
glad i asked this question :approve: must admit i was a little worried, thought it was just mine but obviously not, what a relief :D

172 Cup
whenever i start my car at work, my supervisor in his golf gti mk5 thinks i've purchased a dog because of my lumpy cold idle...when we get to the carriage way he gets frazzled every time, what does that make his car? dunno why he still bothers, lumpy dog idle ftW.
dont worry mate it seems to be normal!...ive tried a few additives,,,but never tried that nos stuff...i saw it today in halfrauds and thaught 'nos olololol'

Megane Trophy, Golf
whenever i start my car at work, my supervisor in his golf gti mk5 thinks i've purchased a dog because of my lumpy cold idle...when we get to the carriage way he gets frazzled every time, what does that make his car? dunno why he still bothers, lumpy dog idle ftW.
dont worry mate it seems to be normal!...ive tried a few additives,,,but never tried that nos stuff...i saw it today in halfrauds and thaught 'nos olololol'

Its very good, there is a racing one to for £20.00. I can deffinately tell the difference! smoother and faster ;)

Laguna sport tourer
i think the lumpy idle on most 16v renaults when cold is due to open loop fueling i.e not using the 02 sensor until the coolant reaches 75c it should stop after about 2 minutes

ibiza cupra
mines the same. when i drive it from cold (not thrashing it) its quite jerky, it seems to accelerate off its self without me moving my foot on the pedle. but once its warmed up its fine.

BMW M135i
It down to the cams, they're obviously optimised for high rpm use (hence 5k kick) and you can't have both without using some sort of cam changing system ala vtec.

As said 97 ron will help a little but injector cleaner isn't recommended to be used, even says so in the handbook.

Evoque, A3 Cab, 182
Hey guys,

New the forum.

Bought a 172 last night, 01 plate.

Lumpy idle when cold, which I understood was normal.

30 Min drive home, at every traffic light, still lumpy as hell. Got home, still lumpy as hell.

Big drive today, and the lumpy idle didn't go away.

Seem's to be idling at 650 - 700 which is a touch too low?

Anyway, booked in with the main stealers saturday for a diag and full service, oil change etc.

wWill keep you all posted on what they said...

Thanks

I used to have terrible running when cold and a lumpy idle on my cup, but things have improved significantly since buying a RSTuner and using Henk's latest files. The car runs much better throughout the rev range.