ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mac Blu-ray Drive!

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I bought a Samsung SE-506CB off Amazon which according to the literature should be compatible with OSX 10.4.6+ (I'm running 10.10.3 on my late 2014 iMac).

The drive can't be seen under system information or finder. The drive is powering up (USB) and looks to be reading disks but the device can't be seen by the Mac (I've tried bluray, DVD, the install software disk etc).

I've spoken to Amazon who are organising a return and refund. According to the net it should be as simple as plug and play so obviously somethings not right (no problems with my Apple Superdrive).

I'm still after a bluray drive, can anyone recommend one for my Mac? Ideally I'm after one that is compatible with OSX lol.

Any recommendations?

182 Cup/V70 D5
A friend of mine got a cheap version of a samsung/HP type thing off eBay for about £25 and it did the same, didn't show up, didn't work, accepted discs but then spat them back out etc..

He ended up just buying a legit apple one, think they're about £65 but they work right out of the box and work great

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
A friend of mine got a cheap version of a samsung/HP type thing off eBay for about £25 and it did the same, didn't show up, didn't work, accepted discs but then spat them back out etc..

He ended up just buying a legit apple one, think they're about £65 but they work right out of the box and work great

Hi Mate,

I've got an Apple SuperDrive, only problem is its not a Bluray, only supports DVD.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
What are you trying to do? Just watch films?

Correct, I've got a shed load of bluray movies that I'd like to either watch or rip to my iPad for travel etc...

I hate buying online content.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Correct, I've got a shed load of bluray movies that I'd like to either watch or rip to my iPad for travel etc...

I hate buying online content.
I was just gonna suggest using VMware Fusion or Parallels and ripping them in Windows using any Blu-Ray drive, but you've already sent that one back?

Not ideal, but I don't know about any specific products.

EDIT: And if you're not a pirate, then my method probably works out very expensive.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I was just gonna suggest using VMware Fusion or Parallels and ripping them in Windows using any Blu-Ray drive, but you've already sent that one back?

Not ideal, but I don't know about any specific products.

EDIT: And if you're not a pirate, then my method probably works out very expensive.

Sorry mate, not really the route i want to take.

182 Cup/V70 D5
fuq! I thought the might apple would put bluray in their superdrives? wtf is all that about?

Sorry mate I shoulda read the question properly and known my shiz a little better.