ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mac owners!!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Amboboy said:
Don't have any experience of macs, whats the advantages?

It doesn't run windows! :)

Seriously, Mac OS X is way better than anything Microsoft have ever produced! Lots of the features that MS are touting in Vista (Including ones which they've now backtracked and said won't be in the shipping version now) have been in OS X for well over a year.

I used to boot my PC up at home every so often so I could play with google earth, but since that's now available for Mac I don't have to anymore. :)

Oh, and here's piece of software that every OS X owner should have installed:

http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html

Monaro VXR
Least you hit on the imortant thing here software. Thats the only difference hardware wise macs are slower.

If all you want is a stable OS you can do that on a windows PC just install linux.

Clio 182
Think I will go for a G5 instead of another iMac... :S

Finally after 1hr18 on the phone, they agreed to a replacement. Had to get another iMac as the 17" G5 isn't available any more. Have asked for compensation too... and I intend to get it. and no wonder I've had so much trouble trying to understand Tech Support, they are based in India. Just as well Customer Services and Aftersales are both in Ireland.

Last edited:
  106 GTi
My Macbook is due in on Friday (so they say, believe that when I see it), after all the grief you have had with your intel I am worried now.

Clio 182
r-jay said:
My Macbook is due in on Friday (so they say, believe that when I see it), after all the grief you have had with your intel I am worried now.

I would be too, I don't want another intel one but I have no choice now. I'm still working on Mac No 2 until the replacement comes but the fan is on full blast and sounds like a hairdryer at the moment...

IM HEARING ALOT OF DIFF PROBLEMS ABOUT THESE new intel macs all over the web....

interesting.

only noise that comes from mine is the fan that comes on.

Clio 182
Dansta said:
IM HEARING ALOT OF DIFF PROBLEMS ABOUT THESE new intel macs all over the web....

interesting.

only noise that comes from mine is the fan that comes on.

What other types of problems have they had?? :S

If no 3 goes wrong the only thing I can do is to upgrade to the bigger 20" G5 or get my money back...

Revels Mum & Sister
Dont give up on it yet!

I am thinking of getting rid of my Mac Mini and getting one like yours.

Clio 182
Rasclart said:
Dont give up on it yet!

I am thinking of getting rid of my Mac Mini and getting one like yours.

No 3 has been despatched and it's the iMac's last chance!!!!

noooo dont do it!

None
Here's my quick guide for those unfortunate to own a Mac - hope this is some help to people ;)

Attachments

• maxxsmacguide.jpg
    maxxsmacguide.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 37
Karen said:
What other types of problems have they had?? :S

If no 3 goes wrong the only thing I can do is to upgrade to the bigger 20" G5 or get my money back...

thats what i have.

it says somethhing that people are still going out and buying G5's when the intel one is available.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Maxx said:
Here's my quick guide for those unfortunate to own a Mac - hope this is some help to people ;)

LOL - good one, m8 ;)

The key difference between any Mac and PC is the end result of what you want to achieve with it. For me, being in charge of the network here and playing a few games on the PC and browsing the t'internet at home - means that I'd rather get run over by my own 182 than have Macs anywhere near me.

But if I were into video/picture editing and increasingly, music - I think I'd consider one. And I'd probably consider one even more if they just dropped the pointless aesthetics and focused on the job at hand - rather than having fancy cases, pulsing lights, etc. Then again, they would probably alienate their main market in doing so.....

D.

www.macrumors.com have a deeks about there, its the biggest mac community ive found, to be honest i also think your having bad luck, i'm buying an imac intel next month and im in no way put off. ive had my ibook for a good while now and cant knock it. obviously the new intel imacs are first generation technology but the problems your having dont seem familiar. and as for that video posted by bubbles, the guy is just an idiot and doesnt know how to use his computer :p:p

106 GTi
Hopefully this one will be ok.

No phone call about my laptop yet, so no reviews on that one yet.

Clio 182
r-jay said:
Hopefully this one will be ok.

No phone call about my laptop yet, so no reviews on that one yet.

I hope it's not as problematic!! They are really quick on despatch when it's in stock, all 3 of my Mac's have been delivered next day.

Revels Mum & Sister
Saying MACs are just about Pretty Cases and Flashing lights is bullshit and usually comes from people who have never owned one or spent a few hours PROPERLY with one.

Just a few things. Now they ship with FrontRow and the Remote. Perfect for a Media Centre, they are silent. I cant tell when the Mac Mini is on, have a tiny footprint. Mine has NEVER crashed and does everything my PC can do but a lot better IMO!

I still have a high end PC mainly for gaming and using to connect to my Xbox 360, but now the 360 is out I dont use the PC that much!

106 GTi
Part of me wants it here, rest is worried after the problems you have had Karen.

Mines still in Shanghi or something according to my local Apple centre, so much for turning up on Friday! Apple are having major shipping problems on them for some reason.

Rasclart said:
Saying MACs are just about Pretty Cases and Flashing lights is bullsh*t and usually comes from people who have never owned one or spent a few hours PROPERLY with one.

Just a few things. Now they ship with FrontRow and the Remote. Perfect for a Media Centre, they are silent. I cant tell when the Mac Mini is on, have a tiny footprint. Mine has NEVER crashed and does everything my PC can do but a lot better IMO!

I still have a high end PC mainly for gaming and using to connect to my Xbox 360, but now the 360 is out I dont use the PC that much!

I'd agree with all that. Mine is hooked upto my amp and i dont use my tv (albeit currently a crappy portable) in my room to watch movies nor have i taken a CD out of its case to listen to any music since ripping the lot.

Out of the box it's got almost everything you'll need (no msn or WMP but thats to be expected not being MS) and its all so intuitive to use.

I'd have to be seriously impressed by a non mac to change back and even then i think i'd avoid windows and go linux.

Its also amusing that when having a mac is brought up people will always say "they're sh*t my mate had one and it was nothing but trouble" chances are their "mate" is a mate of a mate who again probably turns out to be a mate of a mate. :rolleyes: i suspect this "mate" doesnt exist and its just one person passing on what they've heard someone say.

Last edited:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Loony said:
I'd agree with all that. Mine is hooked upto my amp and i dont use my tv (albeit currently a crappy portable) in my room to watch movies nor have i taken a CD out of its case to listen to any music since ripping the lot.

Out of the box it's got almost everything you'll need (no msn or WMP but thats to be expected not being MS) and its all so intuitive to use.

I'd have to be seriously impressed by a non mac to change back and even then i think i'd avoid windows and go linux.

Its also amusing that when having a mac is brought up people will always say "they're sh*t my mate had one and it was nothing but trouble" chances are their "mate" is a mate of a mate who again probably turns out to be a mate of a mate. :rolleyes: i suspect this "mate" doesnt exist and its just one person passing on what they've heard someone say.

Yeah, and they're usually referring to an OS prior to OS X!

I couldn't live with linux, the interface on OS X is so much better more consistant than anything I've used on linux.

Revels Mum & Sister
Red Cup said:
I have to say I agree completely with this guy's review of the Mac Mini http://www.divisiontwo.com/articles/MacMini2.html

Well everyone is entitled to there opionions BUT anyone who in there review calls a Emachines Stylish and also talks about buying an Emachines clearly is a tool.

The amount of fucked Emachines we get through work is unreal in the workshop. We have at least 3-4 a week. Most only just over a year old and some within a year that PCghey or Emachines refuse to repair!

Also he talks about no printer port, ummm USB ports. There are very few printers that run on the older LPT port, Serial Ports well I havent had any need for one in a long time. if I did I would use a laptop or other PC they 9/10 Mac users WOULD have.

Most of his points IMO are irrelevant. The whole point of the Mini is a small box that does all it needs. Someone requiring a Serial port would probably have a larger MAC anyway!

Lack of Mouse and Keyboard, this is a personal thing and most people will upgrade these from the £2 pieces of s**t that come with the likes of EMachines. Safari isnt the only browser for the mac and never has problems rendering most sites I visit!

Clio 182
r-jay said:
Part of me wants it here, rest is worried after the problems you have had Karen.

Mines still in Shanghi or something according to my local Apple centre, so much for turning up on Friday! Apple are having major shipping problems on them for some reason.

Guy I sit opposite at work got his at the w/e and has had untold problems with it... let us know how you get on when you get yours!!

Red Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus RS
Rasclart said:
Well everyone is entitled to there opionions BUT anyone who in there review calls a Emachines Stylish and also talks about buying an Emachines clearly is a tool.

The amount of f**ked Emachines we get through work is unreal in the workshop. We have at least 3-4 a week. Most only just over a year old and some within a year that PCghey or Emachines refuse to repair!

Also he talks about no printer port, ummm USB ports. There are very few printers that run on the older LPT port, Serial Ports well I havent had any need for one in a long time. if I did I would use a laptop or other PC they 9/10 Mac users WOULD have.

Most of his points IMO are irrelevant. The whole point of the Mini is a small box that does all it needs. Someone requiring a Serial port would probably have a larger MAC anyway!

Lack of Mouse and Keyboard, this is a personal thing and most people will upgrade these from the £2 pieces of sh*t that come with the likes of EMachines. Safari isnt the only browser for the mac and never has problems rendering most sites I visit!

Read it again, carefully ;) It's not what it seems at first.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
ive got a mac mini at work and a imac mushroom at home.
Never had a problem with any of them. Well apart from sh1t time and realgayer
My old ox9 macs where a bit plop tho.

106 GTi
Karen said:
Guy I sit opposite at work got his at the w/e and has had untold problems with it... let us know how you get on when you get yours!!

Oh dear thats not what I wanted to hear, still no news where mine is yet.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Red Cup said:
Read it again, carefully ;) It's not what it seems at first.

lol. yeah I like the:

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]"When I consider that a good deal of my time is spent running applications like Disk Defragmenter, Scandisk, Norton AV, Windows Update and Ad-Aware--none of which are available for the Mac platform--it doesn't make sense for me to "switch" to a Mac at this time"

hehe ;)
[/FONT][/SIZE]

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Karen said:

Is this "Untold Problems" because he's come from a PC and doesn't quite know how to use a mac yet?! What sort of problems?

Red Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus RS
Rasclart said:
Doh did I PWN myself.

Silly Noob. I thought that was a bit strange!

Hehe :D I didn't twig at first.

For the record I've got a 2x2.5 G5 and a Mac Mini. Love em both!