ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MacBook Faults - Chance of Replacement?

Purchased my MacBook on 30th August 2008. Its a Black model with 2.4ghz Core2, 2GB Memory, 250gb HDD, etc. So its like 2 years and 5 months old, out of the 12 month warranty yes but I've heard a bit about these problems elsewhere...

Its pretty much been faultless, bar having a dodgy charger lead at one point which was replaced without question. Although, over the past 6 months or so I've only just noticed a few issues with it.

First problem is - The left hand side of the bottom casing (to the left of the trackpad/where your left wrist would rest when typing) has bowed/bent down. When you look at the laptop from its front edge, the whole front left side is warped quite badly - so much that you can look at the battery underneath and the edges of it are raised like it does not fit properly, confirming the bottom of the laptop case is no longer flat..

Weird thing is I rarely use it anywhere other than flat on a desk - so I don't understand how its happened. Its never been dropped, banged, knocked or anything like that, and its in pretty much mint condition bar a bit of wear on the edges of a couple of the keys through use.

The second problem is - Over the past week or two I've noticed a flickering from the bottom left hand corner of the screen. It probably effects around 15% of the screen width, starting in the bottom left side going to the right. Sometimes it does it, whereas others it wont - I'm assuming its probably an issue with the back light, as you can still see the contents of the screen - the issue is it just flickers (and its very annoying)..

If I took it into the Apple store I purchased it from does anyone think I would have valid points for complaint? I might have expected this from a 4-5 year old laptop (I've got ones that are older and still in faultless condition compared to the Mac), but not a 2ish year old one.

Everything else functions as it should, battery life is still great, its just the above problems im not to impressed with - even more so because the Apple products carry a higher purchase price over the equivalents available. I could have purchased one for half the price and I bet I would not have had these issues within the timescale...

Cheers if anyone has any advice/experience with similar issues...

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Book a Genius Bar appointment mate. If they can see it's not been blatantly abused, they might offer you some from of concession on the repair.

I'd rule out an Applecare repair though, since it's so far out of warranty.

Go to the Trafford Centre store, too. They've been faultless with me when I've had issues, no matter how small.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Go to the Trafford Centre store, too. They've been faultless with me when I've had issues, no matter how small.

One of the genius guys there is a right f**king nob, rest of the staff seem ok, just not the proper skinny glasses wearing dickhead i met.

Yeah I was going to book one, but didn't want to waste my time going up there if they were going to turn round straight away and say 'f*ck off' with it being 2yr+ old..

I purchased it from the Trafford store anyway, so might have to check it out. Although I have no doubt a replacement case/screen would cost the earth and probably work out cheaper to buy a new laptop...

One of the genius guys there is a right f**king nob, rest of the staff seem ok, just not the proper skinny glasses wearing dickhead i met.

LOL. I think thats my bro's GF's brother.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Mine was 3 years old and they replaced the casing.

The plastic ones are listed as known faults. They should do it without question. But i warn you now, its not a 5 min job. They had mine for nearly 2 weeks

Top cases are such a common thing they might do that for you. The screen etc, you're probably out of luck.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Just don't ever say "I know it's a known fault"

Act dumb. Nod lots. It makes them feel superior and better about replacing your sh*t FOC.

Trust me, it's tried and tested.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
LOL. I think thats my bro's GF's brother.

LOL. I think that's my mate.

Tell him from me he's a knob will ya?

Mine was 3 years old and they replaced the casing.

The plastic ones are listed as known faults. They should do it without question. But i warn you now, its not a 5 min job. They had mine for nearly 2 weeks

Really? My white mb went in for the same case issue, I had it back 2 days later! That was at a reseller too, took a day for the part to come or i'd of had it earlier.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Sorry, yeah play dumb.

I made the mistake of being a cleverdick once. They still did it, but it helps if you massage the genius egos.

Mike, yeah really. Bluewater apple store, couldnt really complain as they replaced the housing, screen and in the end logic board as one of the muppets broke it with a screw driver.

Ended up selling the bloody thing and bought a unibody.