ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Machine polishing newbie...

IW365

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup 2002
Hi all,

I'm going to have a go at machine polishing my Clio. I'm pretty happy with most aspects of the job but am a little confused about the final wax/sealant stage. Looking online there seem to be a million different products so I thought I'd see what people on here would recommend, bearing in mind I'm a real novice at this. Would a synthetic sealant be better than a more traditional wax?

It's a mondial blue 172 cup and has never been machine polished so has plenty of scratches and swirls for me to take care of.

The car only comes out of the garage between April and September on dry days if that makes a difference?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ian

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Good luck with the machine polishing. Amazing results can be had with the right technique and knowledge.

In regards to the final stages-

Synthetic Waxes (Sio2 mostly) will generally last longer. They're normally the ones that give insane beading and *should* last up to 12 months if properly maintained and the wax is decent quality.

Traditional waxes, usually Carnuba / natural oil based, are the weapon of choice for those wanting a really 'wet' look but you'll have to compromise on durability in this department. I'm talking in general terms because I've used absolutely crap synthetics that didn't last long and really lovely natural waxes.

I'd have said go with the right wax for the job. Low miles / garage queen - go with a natural wax. They look the nuts. Higher miles / daily - go with a synthetic.

If you want any product recommendations just shoot mate 👍

IW365

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup 2002
Good luck with the machine polishing. Amazing results can be had with the right technique and knowledge.

In regards to the final stages-

Synthetic Waxes (Sio2 mostly) will generally last longer. They're normally the ones that give insane beading and *should* last up to 12 months if properly maintained and the wax is decent quality.

Traditional waxes, usually Carnuba / natural oil based, are the weapon of choice for those wanting a really 'wet' look but you'll have to compromise on durability in this department. I'm talking in general terms because I've used absolutely crap synthetics that didn't last long and really lovely natural waxes.

I'd have said go with the right wax for the job. Low miles / garage queen - go with a natural wax. They look the nuts. Higher miles / daily - go with a synthetic.

If you want any product recommendations just shoot mate 👍

Cheers that's great advice.

I'm looking forward to getting started and seeing how good a finish I can get. The good thing is that it's inside and I can really take my time to get it right.

The paint is really tatty as you'd expect for a 18 year old 160k motor but I'm not too precious about the car so maybe reasonably cheap wax would be a good starting point. I've always been quite impressed with meguires products in the past but is there one you'd recommend?

Cheers

IW365

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup 2002
What machine have you got

Don't laugh but I hot a halfords voucher from work for Christmas so I thought I'd go for their own brand DA polisher 😬 (Not ordered it yet though)

Like I say I'm a novice so maybe it would be a good starting point?!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I have had a few machines. My current is a cheap 5" spta machine. Used it for the first time today on a sales. Worked really well with different pads etc. I bought it back off someone.

Anyway. For that sort of money I'd probably opt for a safe bet das Pro 6. Think there was a deal on detailing world, will have a mooch in a bit.

Tbh regardless of machine technique and practise works the best. Start slowly and work your way up.

Couple of decent pads and polishes and see how you get on.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Cheers that's great advice.

I'm looking forward to getting started and seeing how good a finish I can get. The good thing is that it's inside and I can really take my time to get it right.

The paint is really tatty as you'd expect for a 18 year old 160k motor but I'm not too precious about the car so maybe reasonably cheap wax would be a good starting point. I've always been quite impressed with meguires products in the past but is there one you'd recommend?

Cheers
No dramas.

@imprezaworks and I are kind of detailing addicts 🤣.

As for a wax. Yeah, the meguiars stuff is half decent. I find some of their products good and others not so much. However, for a beginner, you can't really go wrong with their stuff. Just look for the Carnuba ones over the 'ceramic' ones as the Carnuba is the natural oils one which will give more of a depth of colour and warmth.

As for recommendations, gosh, I have loads 🤣.

I have a high carnauba wax called Harleys Wax which is beautiful to use. Kind of rubbish beading and didn't last long.

It depends if you want to venture into a proper detailing website or just run to halfords. If its the latter, Megs is great. If you want to venture into a proper detailing website then shout and I'll try and recall a good high carnauba wax that doesn't cost the earth 🤣

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I second this. Jon from Forensic properly got me into detailing. I met him recently and he's actually a proper nice chap.

IW365

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup 2002
Yeah I bet he is.

It's a rabbit hole. Don't forget to grab a bottle of autoglym super resin polish. No car cleaner worth his salt hasn't got one.

I've got plenty of that too, I was thinking meguires ultimate compound followed by SRP and a wax to be decided?!

After a good wash and clay of course...

IW365

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup 2002
Have a watch of this mate. There is literally hundreds of opinions. This guy is decent.

Cheers, I've watched a couple of his videos a while ago, he seems really enthusiastic about it. I'll definitely take a look. Thanks for the link mate

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
It depends what you're shooting for. Ultimate compound is a pure cutting compound with no fillers. SRP does have a very minor amount of cut, more polish, but has lots of fillers so it will 'fill in' some more minor swirls.

If you're shooting for a true cut and then wax, srp isn't necessary. You'll have removed all the swirls you can.

Imo, I'd go with megs ultimate compound, then a panel wipe to remove any residue and then wax. If you go too hard with compound you might get a strike through the paint which is bad news

IW365

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup 2002
It depends what you're shooting for. Ultimate compound is a pure cutting compound with no fillers. SRP does have a very minor amount of cut, more polish, but has lots of fillers so it will 'fill in' some more minor swirls.

If you're shooting for a true cut and then wax, srp isn't necessary. You'll have removed all the swirls you can.

Imo, I'd go with megs ultimate compound, then a panel wipe to remove any residue and then wax. If you go too hard with compound you might get a strike through the paint which is bad news

Great advice, thanks mate. I'll put some pictures up when I've done it.... looks like this could end up being an expensive and time consuming new hobby!!

IW365

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup 2002
What have you got in the way of cleaning stuff.

I tend to stick with autoglym shampoo for washing as that's what I've always used. I need to up my washing game as I've not paid too much attention to things like 2 bucket method and using the right sort of mitts etc. The forensic detailing video has opened my eyes a bit to different products and techniques.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Wash mitt i have used and find great, cheap too.

Shampoo. Imo most the pH stuff is the same. I rate car chem 1900. It's good value when on offer and really economical.

Screenshot_20220105_203447_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

IW365

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup 2002
If you want a cheap wax that does a bit of both (depth and durability) you can't go wrong with Bilt Hamber double speed wax. Excellent wax for sub £20.

@IW365

Cheers, that one was definitely on my list as one to try, and the forensic detailing guy seems to recommend it too 👍

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
As you would have found out, the world of detailing is a rabbit hole... Knowledge is key, watch video after video that's where the best have started off and you will learn once you put your theory into practice.

I think at your stage you are best off not getting too hung up on products and what to use, if you see a constant across videos then give it a go. I started off with Megs 105 & 205 as a starting point with orange and white pads (hex logic).

Final stages you need to remember you seal the paint before waxing the paint. Again not to get too into what to use, get something decent like a good wax and a good sealant. Something like Collinite 476 wax and you can't go wrong with Fusso or FK 1000P. Mainly because most sealants are more durable than wax, so as the weeks roll by you wax wears. If you layer up you can get away with just waxing every 3-6 months.

As for the Halfords machine, I don't recognise the design so cant say what copy it is but it should be more than suitable as a starting point. Once you are happy with the results then welcome to the world of detailing, a very expensive hobby. Myself have 3 machines, a forced DA and mini DA along with a rotary. Not to mention a shed full of cleaning products and splashed out on a Kranzle PW 😉

IW365

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup 2002
As you would have found out, the world of detailing is a rabbit hole... Knowledge is key, watch video after video that's where the best have started off and you will learn once you put your theory into practice.

I think at your stage you are best off not getting too hung up on products and what to use, if you see a constant across videos then give it a go. I started off with Megs 105 & 205 as a starting point with orange and white pads (hex logic).

Final stages you need to remember you seal the paint before waxing the paint. Again not to get too into what to use, get something decent like a good wax and a good sealant. Something like Collinite 476 wax and you can't go wrong with Fusso or FK 1000P. Mainly because most sealants are more durable than wax, so as the weeks roll by you wax wears. If you layer up you can get away with just waxing every 3-6 months.

As for the Halfords machine, I don't recognise the design so cant say what copy it is but it should be more than suitable as a starting point. Once you are happy with the results then welcome to the world of detailing, a very expensive hobby. Myself have 3 machines, a forced DA and mini DA along with a rotary. Not to mention a shed full of cleaning products and splashed out on a Kranzle PW 😉

That's good advice, thanks for the reply.

It really is a rabbit hole and I am a little concerned about doing the wrong thing but like you guys say I think it's best to start simple and go from there.

I'll watch a few more videos to get a feel for what I need but I'll no doubt be back on here asking stupid questions again soon!

Better clear some space on in the garage for all these new detailing products !

Cheers again

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
And if it's your first time, look into a form of DA, not a rotary.

Will be less of a risk to burn through the paint with a DA (dual action/oscillating head). You'd have to be pushing down hard and on one area for a bit for it to do damage. A rotary will spin quickly in one motion and build up heat quickly, thus burning through the paint quickly.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
As @Jekyll said, start with a DA which I think you're intending to do, you can't go wrong with a DA. You can be extremely careless and do no damage. Once you get a feel and watch videos on it you may want to try something else but that is something for WAAAAAAYYYY down the line yet. Be prepared for a bad back 😂 youtube doesn't teach you is how to position yourself. By the time you get to the lower levels, you should have had a few hours of machine in had and have a better feel for the machine and how it works. Get down low, even lay on your side for the lower levels 😉

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I got an original megs DA. I need to learn how to actually use it properly!!!

Unlucky-Racing

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Nothing wrong with the Halfords DA, especially if you only plan on using it a couple of times a year. In my opinion pad and polish choice is far more important than the DA used. A lot of them are more or less the same machine rebranded.

As for final stage, I can't add anything that hasn't already been said. I use a carnauba wax on the car I wash all the time, a ceramic sealant on the daily and use a spray on / rinse off sealant when I do other peoples car and I'm pushed for time. If you're looking after if and washing it semi regularly then go for a wax.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
New to the forum but always learning.. my two penneth as a hobby detailer...

Decent pads and product make the biggest difference, as long as the DA has some speed control it'll be okay for home use. I've had a Megs one which I sold and ended up with a cheapish one from Argos, its really pretty good for what it is and I get some great results.

In terms of products I have used plenty over the years (also have the standard AG SRP)

My go to compound at the moment is the Megs Ultimate - It works well for me, I use the Megs polish at the moment but its not the best, I do like the Rupes Medium and light polish for the refining stage.

I then have a mix of waxes depending on the colour, my go to for dark colours is Collinite 915 Marque D'Elegance, its gives a really deep gloss and is reasonably hard wearing, I then top it up with a QD or similar when I do maintenance washes.

With some waxes the depth only really comes out after you rinse the car, my old Leon used to almost change colour after a rinse.

Detailing is hugely satisfying if a minefield... an expensive one at that!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
The spray stuff has definitely taken over from traditional waxing imo. But the the latter being more satisfying.

Selling a few and keeping a couple. R222 and britemax vantage I really like. May invest in petes 53 at some point.

Unlucky-Racing

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
New to the forum but always learning.. my two penneth as a hobby detailer...

Decent pads and product make the biggest difference, as long as the DA has some speed control it'll be okay for home use. I've had a Megs one which I sold and ended up with a cheapish one from Argos, its really pretty good for what it is and I get some great results.

In terms of products I have used plenty over the years (also have the standard AG SRP)

My go to compound at the moment is the Megs Ultimate - It works well for me, I use the Megs polish at the moment but its not the best, I do like the Rupes Medium and light polish for the refining stage.

I then have a mix of waxes depending on the colour, my go to for dark colours is Collinite 915 Marque D'Elegance, its gives a really deep gloss and is reasonably hard wearing, I then top it up with a QD or similar when I do maintenance washes.

With some waxes the depth only really comes out after you rinse the car, my old Leon used to almost change colour after a rinse.

Detailing is hugely satisfying if a minefield... an expensive one at that!

Using the Guild DA? Same!! I have put a lightly smaller backing plate on it but for the 3 or 4 times I use it a year it's perfect for me and was so cheap.