ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Machine polishing newbie...

Unlucky-Racing

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
That's the one, i also bought a smaller backing plate the original is okay for big panels but no good for tighter areas, the original is too big really.

Next mod on it is gonna be a longer cable as that drives me mad. I have absolutely no complaints about the DA itself... think I paid £50 2/3 years ago for it

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I tried machine polishing for the first time last summer. Spent loads of time researching pads, compounds etc. Borrowed a mates DA.

My car was really swirly. By the time I’d finished it was just as swirly, only shinier 😂

Turns out I sucked at it, and BMW paint is rock hard.

Good luck!

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
I tried machine polishing for the first time last summer. Spent loads of time researching pads, compounds etc. Borrowed a mates DA.

My car was really swirly. By the time I’d finished it was just as swirly, only shinier 😂

Turns out I sucked at it, and BMW paint is rock hard.

Good luck!

Probably needs a wet sand first, hard paint is often easier to just go all in with some wet and dry!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
To give you an idea of what I was working with:

0FA3FF58-3DB0-440F-B284-595396772606.png

It’s a job to sort this year. I can only imagine the previous owners detailing kit comprised of acid, a brick, and SRP.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I love a bit of wet sanding, it's not that bad and the results are amazing. You can see the orange peel and lack of detail on the stitching on the bag strap in comparison to once it's been sanded and polished back. This was only a quick job to get an idea of what the paint was like on the daily and using different types of sanding processes, by hand is the best.

SAM-1448.jpg

SAM-1450.jpg

SAM-1464.jpg

Unlucky-Racing

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I love Chromatic on YouTube’s wet sanding videos. Decent channel.

Also for the OP… The Meguiars video on machine polishing is very good and easy to follow.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Just remember if your wet sanding, not to get tramlines when holding the paper to the panel. Plenty of lube too, keep the paper wet. I prefer a trigger spray bottle to a bucket of water. Less mess and easily manageable. If you hear a scratching noise, ditch the paper and start a fresh one.

Perhaps use 2000 on the bodywork. Last thing you'll want to do is break through the lacquer. And if you do go lower than that, I'd advise to go through the grades back up. Will mean less cutting that way too.

But I think wet flatting is a bit hardcore for a beginner. If you do decide to do it, perhaps start with the lower half of the doors.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I’d say you get better advice on here than you do detailing world 😂 at least there’s no mud throwing over here… well not on this thread 🤣

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I always thought detailingworld was a proper pure forum. So much mud throwing recently its insane. Its not even banter like it is on here, people properly get handbags out over 'which wax gives the most gloss'... 🤣

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I find detailing world pretty good tbf
Not saying it's s**t, you take what you need from it. I still use it regularly but the silliest debates spark into all-out warfare. You can get some great advice and a larger opinion if a product is good or not. If it wasn't for detailing world AutoGlym SRP would have been discontinued long ago 😂

FYI @IW365 the only product you must have to become a true detailer is a bottle of AG SRP, a little goes a long way and don't use it in direct sunlight 😉 top tip right there for ya

IW365

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup 2002
Not saying it's s**t, you take what you need from it. I still use it regularly but the silliest debates spark into all-out warfare. You can get some great advice and a larger opinion if a product is good or not. If it wasn't for detailing world AutoGlym SRP would have been discontinued long ago 😂

FYI @IW365 the only product you must have to become a true detailer is a bottle of AG SRP, a little goes a long way and don't use it in direct sunlight 😉 top tip right there for ya

There's always a bottle on the shelf in the garage !