ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Magnex for dummies question!

Hi

Just purchased myself a magnex rear box for my 172. Decided for the oval 6x4, not as keen on the twin pipe.

Anyways can anyone tell me the differences between a full system and just a rear box? i.e. sound? performance? etc.

Im not too clever when it comes to the mechanics of a motor. The guy in motorworld was pretty much clueless so couldnt tell me much!

Any help would be nice! :D

Hannah

the back box is just that, the back box. teh system goes from the cat backwards.

A backbox will look nice and give a different tone. But a full system will give a different noise and you should get a freer revving engine as well.

Clio 1.6 16V

If you had got the full CAT back system you would have been free of the dreaded 172 4k rattle and also you wouldnt get that annoying "tinging" sound when you stop/idle after a fast run. If doing a job why do it in halfs? The Magnex is a quality piece of kit and worth the money for a full system IMHO (2x3.5" CAT back owner).

sorry to go off topic slightly
my clio 172 with 40k has a bugger of a rattle , i thought a heat shield had
come lose

looks like a magnex system

How much are they

Renault Laguna Coupe

The gasses come around the side of the plate through a sort of grille. You can just see the grille on the left-hand pipe.

Clio 1.6 16V

Mike when I seen your picture above you got me intrigued. So being a fellow anorak I just had too shoot up one of my 3.5" tailpipes (with the camera of course!). Result below;

http://www.fifegallery.co.uk/domains/cliosport/magnextailpipe.jpg

The two tailpipes are joined by a "Y" pipe section leading into one silencing chamber, so is essentially straight through. Looks a bit different from yours mike, or maybe its just your camera angle? Are we sad gits or what? LOL:D

Renault Laguna Coupe

OK mines coming to bits tonight, and Im going back to college to study Exhaust Technologies. THen I will be telford_mike CM (Dip) ET.

I have a nice Magnex sticker for my car, will post pics later :)

A full system will take away a little low down torque (as there is less ack pressure, but improver top end BHP

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

i am thinking of getting a full magnex, which one should i go for? twin or single oval? and how noisy is it on the 172?? cos i would imagine it to be quite loud!! (which is a bad thing in my opinion) im more of a sporty tone kind of guy.

Clio 1.6 16V

I second my fellow zorst anoraks (Mike) comments re noise :p. They do get queiter after a few hundred miles or so. Just a slight tendancy to be boomy at 70 if on a climb or accelerating. Put it this way, I very rarely listen to my CDs these days.... the Magnex is music to the ears! It also helps to drown out the normal Reno rattles.

Mike, where is that picture of the Magnex sticker ...... you promised! Ill never get a good nights sleep until Ive seen it!

Peace & Power to the zorst anoraks ....... yo!