ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Main beam warning light

Clio 182, V8 Landy
Hi all,
Thought I'd treat myself to some LED main beam bulbs for the 182 this afternoon. However since putting them in the main beam warning light on the dash is permanently illuminated when the dipped beam are on. I'm assuming that this is on to ordinarily warn you about one of the bulbs being blown? I'm aware that the LEDs will have low resistance causing this if so.

Thanks
Ross

Clio 182, V8 Landy
Well I'm going to be pulling the LEDs out ha. Not impressed, thought the tech had moved on a bit!
Anyway, regardless of bulbs, I assume the main beam warning light being on is to warn of blown bulbs?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'd assuming that you'd be able to tell if your headlights bulbs had broke, especially in the dark.

Clio 182, V8 Landy
No, perhaps I didn't word it well. It's on permanently with the dipped beam lights which it didn't (and shouldn't) do when the normal fitment halogen bulbs are fitted ( the lights are off at this point . When I put the main beam on, the dipped beam light goes off leaving the main beam light on (as it should), and when the full beam is turned off the light stays on.

Clio 182, V8 Landy
I'd assuming that you'd be able to tell if your headlights bulbs had broke, especially in the dark.
They do work. My first post says I put in LED main beam bulbs that naturally have less resistance than traditional filament bulbs. I believe these are causing the main beam warning light to be permanently illuminated regardless of whether they are on or not. I assume that the light is on as a warning to say that a bulb is blown, similar to that of a more modern car but given the Clio doesn't have a message system to alert the driver, so it does this instead. I cant find any mention of it in the manual.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
It's more than likely it's the LED bulbs causing the light to come on/stay on, the current draw for the lighting system would be affected and being French it'll play havoc, pop the original bulbs back in and I'm 99.9% certain it'll cure the issue, I've read many similar stories with LED bulbs affecting lighting circuits

Clio 182, V8 Landy
Thought as much Ads. Going to swap them out anyway as they were only cheapish ones and they don't spread the light that well. Can't justify the expensive LED bulbs and don't want to risk the looks-good-but-doubtable-quality eBay specials.
Whats general consensus on main beam bulbs for the 1*2s? I've used Osram Nighrbreakers before, are these still the best or can I get something better? The Philips bulbs look good and have good reviews too...

Clio 182, V8 Landy
Swapped out to some Philips bulbs last night, warning light now gone when on dipped beam as it should. I thought this would be the case! Ta for the help Ads.