ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

major gearbox failure guide to removal and replacement ?

172 turbo
Trax today, my gearbox packed in , wouldnt go backward stuck in a forward gear now completly fooked no drive etc gearbox sounds like loose clogs, so shall i get a decent refurb or a 2nd hand one opinions etc ? And either way has any one got a guide to removall and refitting , also worth doing clutch at same time thanks ?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
There are a few guides in the guide section. If it was me i'd do the clutch aswell.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
This happened to me last month at 70mph, massive clunk and it was stuck in gear.
Basically it exploded, got a replacement JC5 130 from a breakers for £270, a new Valeo clutch is around £100.(worth doing)

Was told by agency transmissions that a rebuild would be between £270 for a minor refurb, to £500 odd for a full rebuild!!

It's cheaper to source one from a breakers, or in the for sale section and just swap it.

Megane GT
Trax today, my gearbox packed in , wouldnt go backward stuck in a forward gear now completly fooked no drive etc gearbox sounds like loose clogs, so shall i get a decent refurb or a 2nd hand one opinions etc ? And either way has any one got a guide to removall and refitting , also worth doing clutch at same time thanks ?

Were you the guy that got the AA in to take your car home with the big front splitter, you were over talking to the guy with the silver (172?) the one whos had about 3 gearboxes. I think the guy spoke truth on it being worth maybe just getting a new gearbox as youve got the warranty on it.

172 turbo
True dave but surely a refurbed box will be better quality and last longer as all new parts etc ?

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
True dave but surely a refurbed box will be better quality and last longer as all new parts etc ?

If you can afford it then yes it would, if you're going to go down that route i'd buy the cheapest working box you can,
and get that refured as yours could be ruined and cost more to fix.

I do know that Cliospares in Doncaster sell secondhand tested boxes for £350 collected or £400 delivered,
and refurbed boxes for £450 collected or £500 delivered.

I reckon you can source a cheap working one off here and get agency transmissions to refurb it for less than £500.
Ring him he's a sound bloke and tells it how it is.

Last edited:
  Megane GT
Ye man bang out a grand on new box 12 month warrently correct ? Get ot fitted

I dont really know a lot about it, never had the issue myself, just seems sensible if youre planning to keep the car for a while. If none of the components of the gearbox are damaged though, might be worth just getting it rebuilt, but like the guy said youve still got to pay for labour etc. Good second hand one might be a good option though, just reread that :)

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
To give you an idea of cost I paid £270 for a tested box from a breakers,
then £475 for labour, a new clutch, upper & lower gearbox mounts + fitting of a polybush dogbone kit I already had.

£745 in total.

Last edited:
  ITB'd MK1
used box from a trusted source should be fine, beware of individuals breaking cars though. A number of people in the mk1 scene have been stung with buying "good" boxes, had them fitted and they were as bad as the one they removed or even worse.

not worth even thinking about not replacing the clutch at the same time

ITB'd MK1
To give you an idea of cost I paid £270 for a tesed box from a breakers,
then £475 for labour, a new clutch, upper & lower gearbox mounts + fitting of a polybush dogbone kit I already had.

£745 in total.

just the upper gearbox mount Dave, and the battery tray which had a chunk broken off so replaced with another used item

172 turbo
Cheers quickest option is just replacing with a 2nd hand box mine got the speedo drive who knows the gearbox i need jc5 is it ? Also how do i check for certain which model box i have thanks ?

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I got my gearbox from Brignorth Renault, they're an independant breakers and his place was full of 1*2 parts,
he had 3 other boxes when I picked mine up, plus he's up for a bit of barteing,
he wanted £300 for the box I bought, I got him down to £270.

I'm not sure which JC5 you need, but as long as you say you need a speedo drive for a 172 you'll be fine.

They can deliver aswell.

Unit 1
Building 15
Stanmore Ind Est,
Bridgnorth
WV15 5HR

01746 766929
07980 601309

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Were you the guy that got the AA in to take your car home with the big front splitter, you were over talking to the guy with the silver (172?) the one whos had about 3 gearboxes. I think the guy spoke truth on it being worth maybe just getting a new gearbox as youve got the warranty on it.

<--- The Guy with the Silver 172 *Waves*

172 turbo
Hey guys yeah not too bad got home for half 7 and catched my train ye its awful as it wouldnt go backwards we had to use brute force and plastic chocks to move the car, aniways yeah im not in a major rush to replace at the moment but yeah j u tell me the best refurbed dealer or breaker thanks ?

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Well, you have the know how to remove the box yourself, so I guess best option (cheapest) would be to either buy a used box and get it rebuilt, at a guess £200 for a used box and £300 for a rebuild (or take your box out and send off to be rebuilt) these guys are recommended by many on here -

http://burpspeed.com/Agency/Contact.html

Other option is a Renault box, which is £960! Which is what I did as a rebuild didn't suit the issues I had with my old box (diff had failed)

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Ah hello! I was the one who came over with Mark (Dr Jekyll) who was talking to you for ages. :)

Ah yeah, Nice to meet you both... I think I spoke to more members of the club at Trax this year than I have in the past 3 years i have been in the club.

Megane GT
Ah yeah, Nice to meet you both... I think I spoke to more members of the club at Trax this year than I have in the past 3 years i have been in the club.

Yeah you too. And ah right, I do like meeting new people :)