ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Major loss of power

Ph1 Clio 172
Hey guys

So when driving on the highway at a constant 120km/h or driving a little hard else were, the clio just losses power suddenly. the more you press the gas peddle the more you loose power. if i coast for a few meters or stop and idle i can drive again. this will continue to hadden if i dont drive it carefully or take my foot off the gas every now and then.
diag. brings up a lambda sensor issue (has to be the upstream sensor?), can the sensor do this if it is faulty? i mean i cant drive on the highway anymore

Thanks

Have exact same fault, its the upsteam lambda. Sort it soon as possible. Payday thurs can't come fast enough, mines geting worse

Ph1 Clio 172
Took RS to a guy today and he called his friend which came straight through. He was very very knowledgable regarding my RS and owns a clio 6V.
he took her for drive and came back with the issues the car had. Clutch, and engine mountings, he called and ordered me a new Throttle cable which will come tomorrow (i could not find one for weeks)

He informed me that the issue with the power loss is mostlikely from the Fuel pump internal filter, he took it out and cleaned it which made the cleaning agent nearly black. he explained that this will clog up when the engine is hot or under load (highway or driven a little hard)

i am yet to give her a go on the highway and ill report back

Ph1 Clio 172
Ok so here is an update

Took the highway to work today, she lasted much longer, and when there was a power loss it was not as bad as before, usually i would have to pull over but today i did not have to, about 50% better but still there.

Hmmm seems I have something similar as replacing the lambda worked wonders on mine for about 30mins - motorway run back saw mpg climb to over 50 (same speed way down just crawled over 30mpg) and the throttle response is alot keener & the car has regained some power. However it has major cutting out issues now.

The problem is ittermittant and is really winding me up

Ph1 Clio 172
This is freaking me out man! I stand corrected but if the filter or pump restricts fuel when the car is hot or under load then the Oxygen Sensor will pick up an error as there is not the right mixture? I am grad that it is a little better but still irritated

Ph1 Clio 172
Hey Guys

WOuld like to be more active on the forum but not getting a chance. thank you all for your imput

here is an update:

The Clio is running great, spent a bucket load on her in the past few months and she is good.

only thing i am left with is this dam loss of power, iv cleaned the intenal filter, replaced the fuel filter, replaced the fuel pump as well as replaced the fuel pump relays, but nothing has worked. i am going to disconect the Lambda sensor and take her for a ride to see if the issue occurs.

wish me luck

I very much doubt it is fuel pump/filter related!! Lambda or injection problem i would be looking at tbh

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Wrong fuel grade or cheap supermarket fuel.my old 172 was very picky on fuel.get to a shell garage,slap a tank of finest optimax in and boom,off she went :)