ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Major wheel wobbe :(

I was adjusting my coilovers last night, just raising the ride height very slightly and noticed as i was slackening off/tightening up the adjusters the whole strut would wiggle arround, asif its not tight enough at the top?

Should it be doing this or should it be completly tight in place? Silly question lol

Also came to drive the car this morning and the steering wheel is vibrating majorly over anything faster than 20mph?!?!?

Has the top mount bolt been tighened up enough (it feels tight) :dapprove:

Really need some help guys :(

Last edited:
When you say wiggle, do you mean in all directions?. The struct should rotate (i.e as you turn the steering it will move), but there shouldnt be any play in it if you push it back and forth, forward and back. Sounds like top mounts to me, but i cant explain your wheel wobble, you havent lost a wheel weight have u?

Yeah its just rotating mate, about 1cm each way, so that sounds normal maybe...

But now as ime driving the steering wheel is vibrating like mad.

wouldnt have thought the tracking could have been put that much out by raising the height very slightly? :S

Wheel weights all there.

Nah your tracking wont really cause that amount of wheel wobble i would of thought, i lowered my car on coilies recently, havent had the tracking done yet and its absolutely fine, so i dont think it will be that.

Could be a completely knackered dampener i guess......

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Silly things but....

Done the wheel bolts up tight enough all around?
Spring seated properly on shock/top cap?
Knocked the wheels weights off by accident so wheels need rebalancing?
Did up everything you un-did to raise the car?

172 cup
was about to say wheel bolts are probably loose if all wheel weights are still in place. Get out there with a socket and wrench sharpish

Ime sure the wheel nuts are all tight but I will check them lol

Just raised the adjusters about 1/2cm's so cant have done anything to the springs....

Its one thing after another, getting fed up of French cars now lol

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
What exact process did you use to raise the car? You said about the top mounts, did you loosen these off?

Bit more info and I can try to help more.

I've recently stripped my car down more times than I'd care to talk about, so hopefully I can be of some use.

Cheers Rob, no I didnt touch the top mounts, jacked the car up both sides on the front, took the wheels of and slackened off the adjusters. raised them up 1 or 2 cm's makig sure they were level both sides, put wheels back on and lowered off the jacks, simples. (I thought)

Then gone to drive it this morning and the steering wheel is vibrating like mad.

I though its probably the tracking but wouldnt have thought I could have knocked it out by that much?

Its strange... :(

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Wheels weights are something you may have knocked off then, which could put your wheels seriously out of balance, get to a tyre place and see if they need balancing (5£ a wheel on avg), or tracking is also a possibility. Check the wheel nuts first though, as it sounds quite likely its them (embarassing, but often true)

Wheels weights are something you may have knocked off then, which could put your wheels seriously out of balance, get to a tyre place and see if they need balancing (5£ a wheel on avg), or tracking is also a possibility. Check the wheel nuts first though, as it sounds quite likely its them (embarassing, but often true)

Lol, ile go out when ime on my break (at work) and make sure they are all done up propperly

Ime getting it laser aligned tommorow so hopefully they should be able to sort out whatever I have done lol

Been out to check, the front right nuts were done up but not what ide call "really tight", so I did them up and when for abit of a drive.

Not as much vibration through the wheel but it was still there abit, oh and all the wheel weights are still on.

Tried the nuts again and they had loosened again after the drive, maybe had some WD40 on them, so put some fresh nuts on and done them up tight.

Ile see after work if they are still tight and bobs your uncle, hopefully lol :)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
WD40 on wheel nuts ????? You dont want to spray that anywhere near wheels - it will not agree with brakes at all !

Buy a torque wrench and make sure they are done up properly - i.e.: to the correct torque.

I had the wd40 on the coilover threads so maybe abit has gone on the nuts, ime nut sure, only the fact I did them up as tight as possible with a bar and when for a little drive, and they werent tight like before?!?

Hoping these new nuts will stay tight...