ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Make your own Oz F1 Centre Caps

Clio 172
I, as I imagine many Oz F1 owners are, was very frustrated at the lack of centre caps available for my wheels. All I could find were caps for sale with snapped clips, wrong sized caps on eBay, or people selling good ones for £20 a go!

I wanted to come up with a solution, I had looked in to moulding some caps with plastic resin, but after much trial and error decided it just wasn't a viable method. I then started to look in to 3D printing and what it had to offer, it looked perfect for the job.

I installed Autodesk Inventor Fusion on my Mac and grabbed my digital calliper, then set about designing a CAD model of my centre cap. After a few days I had a model ready for sending to a 3D printer for a quote, the 3D printers I used (http://www.3dprint-uk.co.uk) charge based on swept volume rather than the amount of material used, so I packed 4 caps back to back to make the model as cheap as possible to print. This is how it looked.

1236133_10151818671607472_1872491905_n.jpg

After a few tweaks I placed my order and waited for delivery, I choose economy which meant a longer wait, but half the price. I received my caps this week and this is how they look compared to an original.

IMG_20130904_195232_zps8ea394a8.jpgIMG_20130904_195240_zps0cef6c88.jpgIMG_20130904_195202_zps58c50360.jpg

The texture of the finish is similar to a extra strong mint, I was a bit worried about how they would paint up, however after a few coats of paint they come up fine, a nice smooth finish. Here are some more photos, I had put 1 coat of spray paint on one of them then dropped it, so excuse the dodgy paint!

IMG_20130904_195329_zpsd8410a37.jpgIMG_20130904_195400_zps9b23044f.jpgIMG_20130904_195413_zps382e4094.jpg

Anyway, now on to the bit you are probably all waiting for, how do you get some of your own?

Here is a link to the .STL file, which contains the model of the centre caps and is what you will need to upload to the 3D printers when you request a quote.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzSYWpLGovTGRExJVERxM1pJS2s/edit?usp=sharing

Once you have the file you need to go to http://www.3dprint-uk.co.uk/quote/ and fill in a quote, uploading the .STL file also. I chose economy as I was in no rush to receive the parts. They emailed me back a quote within a few hours on a weekday and I requested an invoice, to which they sent me a PayPal invoice for £27.

After 8 days I had the parts, they fit in to the wheel very well and look great, especially once you paint them up. Obviously you don't get the wire ring with these, but I've found them to be a snug fit and don't really need the wire. I'm sure you could make up some rings after a trip to B&Q if you really wanted to though.

I was thinking about making these and selling them on, but due to the cost of 3D printing and painting it wasn't really worth it, so I thought I'd share the design with a community who have helped me a lot with my Clio. I would ask that nobody tries to start selling these as it's not in the spirit of the community here.

I hope someone finds this useful, enjoy!

These were designed for the Renault supplied 15" Oz F1's, untested on 16" or non Renault F1's.

Last edited:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I bet if you asked for 20 or 100 sets to be made, you'd get that price down !!

Could be worth a group-buy with a deadline of a week or two :) Nothing to lose..

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
In what way?

I dont see anyone else putting them selfs out to do stuff like this.

Piss on the guys bonfire why dont you.

I'm not pissing on anyone's bonfire ffs. I'd like to see how 3D-printed components survive in the real world.

EDIT: That's alright then, it's not the form of 3D printing I thought it was going to be.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I f**king love the OP as I've been looking for a real world 3D printer that is interested in doing low volume/private individual one off's

So many little interior parts (window switches, clockset surrounds, "in vent" gauge holders can all be made from this stuff as its super strong considering its make up.

A really good effort on this center cap project to, highly commendable.

Mick

Fiesta ST-3
I love people that take time to solve simple problems for the benefit of others.

tbh you could of mass produced these and then sold them but hats off to you for sharing the link to your design so people can do it themselves.

Inferno 225 cup
I love people that take time to solve simple problems for the benefit of others.

tbh you could of mass produced these and then sold them but hats off to you for sharing the link to your design so people can do it themselves.

Couldn't agree more, could knock these out along with 2118 caps.

Great work OP, took some time and effort to help others out with problem most f1 owners have.

Audi A5
When I had f1's I had the same problem. I just bought some new Renault centre caps and sanded them down, worked perfect. Cost about £10 each.

Not trying to piss on your fire, just giving another option if people don't have access to a 3d printer.

Great effort and well done passing the info on, should be made into a sticky eventually,^^ as above I think you send the design off which he has spent the time doing via the link he posted, pay your money to the company with the 3D printer and wait for delivery.

Regards Russ.........

Superb, great effort and thumbs up for sharing.

These were designed for the Renault supplied 15" Oz F1's, untested on 16" or non Renault F1's.

For reference I can tell you the centre cap is the same for the 15" and 16" Renault OZ F1's.

Focus st3 & t5.1 day
My dad has a 3D printer, I'm sure he'd be happy to knock some things up for the cost of materials +beer money ;)

He printed me some top mount covers a while ago

IMAG1864_zpsadd35eaa.jpg

IMAG1865_zpsbd7aa41b.jpg

Trying to work out a design for washer jet blanks but it's not working just yet

Also someone has created thumb grips for 3D printing, never got round to printing me some as I changed my wheel

Focus st3 & t5.1 day
For those interested, there's a forum site for people's creations and ideas for 3D printers called 'Thingiverse'

Didn't even know you could send files off to be printed... If people have similar products in mind I could knock some stuff up in Solidworks!