ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power Tool Perverts

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
What do the attachments look like? Is it purely a grinder? Is that the same 12v system as the 3/8 impact wrench?

Looks brilliant!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Yes same 12v as the impact so only bought the body. Accepts 6 and 8mm shanks. I will only be using it for grinding and have various pads like:

1594835709419.png

1594835730185.png

Its a system by 3M called ROLOC, basically quick change pads of all sorts. Imagine a 2inch angle grinder, so really precise, gets into small spaces. Good for finishing welds and grinding down rust scabs quickly.

If I had the 18V system I would have just gone straight for a battery angle grinder but even then would have still bought this and tend to use die grinders more often than angle grinders due to the precision. (y)

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Ah I need this!

I've been looking at the M12 3/8 impact and the M12 ratchet, so this would obviously be the perfect combo with the die grinder.

Will have to find a project now to man math those into the line-up.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Obviously OK!

The way I see it, any project I can do myself, would like to do myself and have time for I buy the tools for.

The tools pay for themselves if I don't have to pay some garage £80 an hour for jobs that are easy to DIY, but I hate not having the right tools for a job.

The impact wrench has already done enough work on our Honda to pay for itself I reckon.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I think the 3/8 12v impact is proper stuff, right size for a part time monkey like me, will rock my world. I only work on cars at the weekend and generally spend 20mins just glaring at bolts I can't be arsed to undo. While they may save a proper mechanic an hour over the course of a working day this is literally going to save me half a day every day I use it.

You know that feeling you have when your trying to work out what bit to tackle next so you just stare at the car for an age, I do that over a tea repeatedly. My Clio has been in bits for months now haha. Still - Has saved me from spending the weekend indoors talking toddler. I only intended to change the clutch when lock down struck -next thing I knew the engine was out and I was elbow deep in scrubbing the underside of a wreck. Fool.

• Haha
Reactions: MLB

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
If you buy a drill for a job that a joiner would charge you £250 for and the drill is £100 and the materials are £100, you've saved £50 and gained invaluable skills as well as getting a drill out of it to do other jobs with

It's not even man maths at this stage, it's just bloody common sense 😂 But be careful, otherwise you end up with a garage full of stuff and a very serious addiction. Hence why I've steered myself away from a new welder and a 3D printer... for the time being anyway :cry:

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I'd love a welder.. And a four post lift and and and.. A garage?

Probably should start with finding a house with a proper size garage.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I think I'll just snap a couple of bolts of to justify it!

If you buy a drill for a job that a joiner would charge you £250 for and the drill is £100 and the materials are £100, you've saved £50 and gained invaluable skills as well as getting a drill out of it to do other jobs with

It's not even man maths at this stage, it's just bloody common sense 😂 But be careful, otherwise you end up with a garage full of stuff and a very serious addiction. Hence why I've steered myself away from a new welder and a 3D printer... for the time being anyway :cry:

It only adds up if changing a clutch doesn't take you months though ;)

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Love the little roloc 3m pads, use them a lot on my little air grinder.

I can’t quite believe how many tools Milwaukee do! I went to FFX (as they had the 3/8 for £179 with a 6.0 and small batt) on Saturday but it was closed luckily.

I’m still confused on the models though. They do a 12v 3/8 compact (flat front) and a more expensive 18v fuel 3/8” that you’d assume is ‘better’ or more power yet the 12v compact says its 10% more powerful? Shirley 18v is better than 12v?

Yesterday I asked mr snap on how much for the little 3/8” gun but £350, I laughed & told him no chance. Amazingly he dug out a NOS battery for my old old 3/8gun and I got that for a steal.

I do really like the size and shape of the newer compact snap on 3/8” guns. They get a slating for not being that powerful compared to the Milwaukee on YT comparison vids but they are actually pretty good for their tiny size and the whole POWER craze is all well and good but there is such a thing as over kill and generally if the snap on 3/8 isn’t undoing 8-15mm nuts/bolts you’ve got breaking issues anyway. I hate the rocker switch though, I use my mate’s one now and then and every time I have to remind myself which way to press.

I dunno, I go round in circles but I think ultimately size and handling is more important for me on a 3/8” impact than the ability to remove wheel nuts (which you’d use your 1/2” gun for)

Last edited:

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Love the little roloc 3m pads, use them a lot on my little air grinder.

I can’t quite believe how many tools Milwaukee do! I went to FFX (as they had the 3/8 for £179 with a 6.0 and small batt) on Saturday but it was closed luckily.

I’m still confused on the models though. They do a 12v 3/8 compact (flat front) and a more expensive 18v fuel 3/8” that you’d assume is ‘better’ or more power yet the 12v compact says its 10% more powerful? Shirley 18v is better than 12v?

Yesterday I asked mr snap on how much for the little 3/8” gun but £350, I laughed & told him no chance. Amazingly he dug out a NOS battery for my old old 3/8 gun and I got that for a steal.

I do really like the size and shape of the newer compact snap on 3/8” guns. They get a slating for not being that powerful compared to the Milwaukee on YT comparison vids but they are actually pretty good for their tiny size and the whole POWER craze is all well and good but there is such a thing as over kill and generally if the snap on 3/8 isn’t undoing 8-15mm nuts/bolts you’ve got breaking issues anyway. I hate the rocker switch though, I use my mate’s one now and then and every time I have to remind myself which way to press.

Yea exactly - that threw me as originally I was up for investing in some 18v tools and would have wanted the little M18 impact, saw the 12v was smaller still and had higher torque. Obviously doesn't compete with the larger 18v mosters but I get annoyed with the larger tools and access. And yes, im worried about the Milwaukee range.... already looking at tools which have nothing to do with cars just because the battery fits.

I mean, obviously if I get her an 18V strimmer I would be obligated to get the 18V angle grinder and big boy impact 😖

Snap on man did something helpful to save you money? Is he retiring this week?

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Yea exactly - that threw me as originally I was up for investing in some 18v tools and would have wanted the little M18 impact, saw the 12v was smaller still and had higher torque. Obviously doesn't compete with the larger 18v mosters but I get annoyed with the larger tools and access. And yes, im worried about the Milwaukee range.... already looking at tools which have nothing to do with cars just because the battery fits.

I mean, obviously if I get her an 18V strimmer I would be obligated to get the 18V angle grinder and big boy impact 😖

Snap on man did something helpful to save you money? Is he retiring this week?

I’m probably a snap on man’s worst nightmare. All my tools have been bought cash and I don’t get sucked in to the bling stuff or financed tool boxes. I lost my favourite hammer through 12” pry bar and have been looking for one on eBay but they’re circa £30/£40 in well worn nick. I bought the set of 4 hammer through pry bars off him for £80 cash yesterday, not sure what BS price they should be but I know they’re twice that price on eBay or if you finance them through the van. Even the new battery I only paid £20 for (after giving him grief) which I was really pleased to as even a rebuild is more than twice that price off eBay.

£190 seems barmy money to me but most just put them on the tick. My work mates empty tool boxes cost more than my car collection.

5AADCBD2-0707-4D7B-896A-D21D9EAD7A6C.png
5AADCBD2-0707-4D7B-896A-D21D9EAD7A6C.png

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Yes same 12v as the impact so only bought the body. Accepts 6 and 8mm shanks. I will only be using it for grinding and have various pads like:

View attachment 1485849
View attachment 1485850

Its a system by 3M called ROLOC, basically quick change pads of all sorts. Imagine a 2inch angle grinder, so really precise, gets into small spaces. Good for finishing welds and grinding down rust scabs quickly.

If I had the 18V system I would have just gone straight for a battery angle grinder but even then would have still bought this and tend to use die grinders more often than angle grinders due to the precision. (y)

Been looking at these, hows it compare to the pneumatic grinders power wise?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I’m probably a snap on man’s worst nightmare. All my tools have been bought cash and I don’t get sucked in to the bling stuff or financed tool boxes. I lost my favourite hammer through 12” pry bar and have been looking for one on eBay but they’re circa £30/£40 in well worn nick. I bought the set of 4 hammer through pry bars off him for £80 cash yesterday, not sure what BS price they should be but I know they’re twice that price on eBay or if you finance them through the van. Even the new battery I only paid £20 for (after giving him grief) which I was really pleased to as even a rebuild is more than twice that price off eBay.

£190 seems barmy money to me but most just put them on the tick. My work mates empty tool boxes cost more than my car collection.

View attachment 1485893View attachment 1485893
I need some pry bars! I used to share a garage with a mate with a mental snap on habit. I think it was all on their payment plan from when he was a young easily won mechanic. I think it was all insured for 15k - was a lot of gear. Being a lovely chap he would let me use it all but used to get right arsey when I didn't put things back properly (natch) he had a set of the pry bars..... I bet he paid full price hahaha, no wonder he got iffy when I used them in unintended ways (everythings a hammer at heart).

The pisstake was that after he spend all his money on tools royal mail (who he is a mech for) changed their policy and supplied tools so everyone had to take their kit home.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Been looking at these, hows it compare to the pneumatic grinders power wise?

Yes really good - they claim more powerful than an air grinder, I ran my grinder at pretty high pressure so would say they are similar. The wauki is larger than you expect - but only because the air grinders are so svelte and nice. Its managed everything I've done with it in the day or so I've had it but that does include flap wheel discs.

Biggest difference is that the battery one doesn't stall in the same way, it just stops/cuts out. Where an air one would slow down progressively, and you use your ears to regulate pressure. The electric one will stall much later however its very sudden and sometimes unexpected because it dons't slow down as much as you apply pressure. Nothing bad just takes a little getting used to after using air tools.

Im happy with my purchase and would buy another if this one was lost or stolen (if that makes sense), its 1000x more convenient than an air tool which means you will use it far more. (y)

I'll take a quick vid of it grinding something at the weekend so you can see what I mean about the stall.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
I need some pry bars! I used to share a garage with a mate with a mental snap on habit. I think it was all on their payment plan from when he was a young easily won mechanic. I think it was all insured for 15k - was a lot of gear. Being a lovely chap he would let me use it all but used to get right arsey when I didn't put things back properly (natch) he had a set of the pry bars..... I bet he paid full price hahaha, no wonder he got iffy when I used them in unintended ways (everythings a hammer at heart).

The pisstake was that after he spend all his money on tools royal mail (who he is a mech for) changed their policy and supplied tools so everyone had to take their kit home.

My old style snap on hammer-through 12” pry bar was one of my fav tools. They’ve changed the handles now to these bulbous ones that look a bit naff. I’ve got the big one too, 36” which is handy.

Ive just rung MAC for some of their RBRT hex sockets. Anyone in the trade on here used them? They look real handy, hex has got to be one of the most damaged fasteners I see and the rbrt one will grip even a rounded one. No dealer in my area anymore which is annoying.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
My old style snap on hammer-through 12” pry bar was one of my fav tools. They’ve changed the handles now to these bulbous ones that look a bit naff. I’ve got the big one too, 36” which is handy.

Ive just rung MAC for some of their RBRT hex sockets. Anyone in the trade on here used them? They look real handy, hex has got to be one of the most damaged fasteners I see and the rbrt one will grip even a rounded one. No dealer in my area anymore which is annoying.

The green handled ones?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
You know you want to buy that welder though right. I would just buy the welder. Think of all the other cool stuff you get to buy for the welder!
Everyone should have a tig welder, not even for welding s**t just because they can be used for so many more things.
Changing mtb bearings? Tig that mofo

20200514_131631.jpg

Need to cook dinner and someone has stolen your cooker? Tig that mofo

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Do impact drivers require specific bits?

Recently bought a DeWalt driver, yet to use it. Only for screws in to wood. Guessing I can use my normal drill bits from my drill driver?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Do impact drivers require specific bits?

Recently bought a DeWalt driver, yet to use it. Only for screws in to wood. Guessing I can use my normal drill bits from my drill driver?

For the screw drivers they don't need specific impact bits but I like the good quality ones because it makes life better

If its the type for sockets (1/4, 3/8, 1/2) then again you don't need impact sockets, normal ones fit and function however one of the biggest benefits of impact sockets is that they are 6 sided not 12 so your much less likely to round the head of a bolt/nut.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
For the screw drivers they don't need specific impact bits but I like the good quality ones because it makes life better

If its the type for sockets (1/4, 3/8, 1/2) then again you don't need impact sockets, normal ones fit and function however one of the biggest benefits of impact sockets is that they are 6 sided not 12 so your much less likely to round the head of a bolt/nut.

Cheers. Initially I’m building a workbench in the garage, eventually a shed. Might invest pre-shed lol

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Ive only ever used impact sockets specifically with my impact gun purely because of the torque it kicks out

I only use impact sockets even if I’m working by hand with a ratchet. I just feel like they grip bolt heads better (probably the lack of polished chrome) with the matte black finish. The 3/8” shallow, snap on impacts are my go-to sockets.

I’d say if you’re DIY & only buy one set of sockets, get a set of impact ones as they’ll cover you on both.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
1594922410878.png

1594922498363.png

You rang?

Think the coffee maker is a fake :( Do love Makita stuff. Not sure what I would think if a builder rocked up with a coffee machine though.....

Going by my previously logic - the jacket uses the M12 batteries so I would obviously be an idiot not to buy one mid summer before the price rockets in winter....

Last edited:

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Went to FFX again (open this time) with intention of buying the 3/8” impact as talked myself into it for the pokey jobs I over use my 1/2” for.

“We have one in stock, I’ll just go get it for you... sorry, I can’t find it”

FFX? More like FFS!

Got me one coming for tomorrow so hopefully they don’t lose that f’in great case too.