ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power Tool Perverts

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
20200605_172915.jpg

Got some more bits on the way too🤦‍♂️😂

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I'm getting deep into Milwaukee now

So much so that I started looking at grinders, Sanders, recip saw and circular saws... Even though I already have 3 grinders, a sander, a recip saw and a circular saw... The justification to myself is "But these ones are battery"🤦‍♂️😂😂

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I'm getting deep into Milwaukee now

So much so that I started looking at grinders, Sanders, recip saw and circular saws... Even though I already have 3 grinders, a sander, a recip saw and a circular saw... The justification to myself is "But these ones are battery"🤦‍♂️😂😂
I was looking at getting the grinder but after doing some research apparently the longivity of the battery and strength of it was seen to be nowhere near as good as a corded unit. The thing that I like about the Milwaukee tools I have at the moment is that they're just as good if not better than corded units.

The grinder is meant to be good for light stuff but not as great for cutting apparently.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I was looking at getting the grinder but after doing some research apparently the longivity of the battery and strength of it was seen to be nowhere near as good as a corded unit. The thing that I like about the Milwaukee tools I have at the moment is that they're just as good if not better than corded units.

The grinder is meant to be good for light stuff but not as great for cutting apparently.
Yeah that's what I've seen too. Most of the time I'm just cutting a few things, if I had to cut 40 sheets of 1mm I'd just use my corded one

SEE! I'm justifying things to myself again ffs

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Milwaukee send Deboss Garage tools every few months for him to break😂😂

Hes a HG mechanic so you can imagine what his tools look like after tearing down a Cummins or a big truck everyday

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
any watch obsessed garage, think hes bought every M18 and M12 they do

Yeah, watched this last night. Guy’s crazy (in the nicest way). Great business model though as he’s got many like minded customers who just trust his opinion of what works for similar minded people. Think he must do very well out of OG.

Did you see his civic video the other day where he bought loads of sets of alloys & tyres just to try them all on the car?

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
How are people getting on with the Milwaukee impacts?

Think I mentioned before I still have an old snap on 1/2” but the batteries are a bit of a pain now.

Only thing I don’t like on these modern impacts is the brake so they don’t coast. If I use the modern snap on one my workmate has I really miss the coast down spin of mine. Crack a wheel nut and you can just time it with the coast down spin to undo rest of the way rather than holding the trigger. Sounds silly but it’s the small things.

I also wonder how well they’ll last compared to the old SO impacts? I must have beaten the arse off mine for 10 years and it’s been in the rain, mud etc. My snap on man said to me the other day it’s the best one they ever made so I’m loathed to change.

Colleague has got a loaner of the latest 1/2” snap on gun, it’s huge and mental powerful, too powerful on high for most stuff. But a loaner because his modern snap on gun is away for repair!

I love mine, maybe I should just invest in battery rebuilds. I took it apart the other day to service it and it looks perfect inside.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
How are people getting on with the Milwaukee impacts?

Think I mentioned before I still have an old snap on 1/2” but the batteries are a bit of a pain now.

Only thing I don’t like on these modern impacts is the brake so they don’t coast. If I use the modern snap on one my workmate has I really miss the coast down spin of mine. Crack a wheel nut and you can just time it with the coast down spin to undo rest of the way rather than holding the trigger. Sounds silly but it’s the small things.

I also wonder how well they’ll last compared to the old SO impacts? I must have beaten the arse off mine for 10 years and it’s been in the rain, mud etc. My snap on man said to me the other day it’s the best one they ever made so I’m loathed to change.

Colleague has got a loaner of the latest 1/2” snap on gun, it’s huge and mental powerful, too powerful on high for most stuff. But a loaner because his modern snap on gun is away for repair!

I love mine, maybe I should just invest in battery rebuilds. I took it apart the other day to service it and it looks perfect inside.
The latest milwaukees have bolt undo detection so they register when the bolt has undone and then it goes into a low rpm/low torque mode to undo the rest of the bolt.

This can be enabled and disabled on the app and you can set it for each of the 4 settings on the gun itself.

Personally I'm not a fan of it so I have it switched off for the majority of the time.

Longitivity definitely won't be an issue with these buddy, I have a rubber boot on mine and it kept it from knocks and bangs when I've dropped it countless amounts of times haha

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I've set setting 1 on mine for 110-180nm tighten and undo it has a bit removal mode where it gives full welly and then just turns it out the rest of the way on a lower speed

I wouldnt like to tighten up something to the full potential of my gun though. It will do nearly or thereabouts 1000nm tightening, that's 100% enough to strip the threads off of a driveshaft cup on a Transit!

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I've set setting 1 on mine for 110-180nm tighten and undo it has a bit removal mode where it gives full welly and then just turns it out the rest of the way on a lower speed

I wouldnt like to tighten up something to the full potential of my gun though. It will do nearly or thereabouts 1000nm tightening, that's 100% enough to strip the threads off of a driveshaft cup on a Transit!

‘kin hell.

Could have done with one of those when I used to work on the lorries! Lugging around a 1” air gun wasn’t much fun. Used to knacker me every time I got back on lorries after cars! Even torquing a set of wheel nuts is more effort than most days in a car garage haha

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Been keeping an eye on this thread and just bought a Makita DTW1002RTJ myself, arrived yesterday and looks like a proper piece of kit.

Wife and neighbors now got confirmed I'm crazy, I just ran out to undo random nuts and bolts on the cars!

20200630_103849.jpg

Maybe not as fancy as the Milwaukee but for DIY I think the Makita 18V range is better and more affordable.

Can't wait to replace the full suspension on the wife's car next week!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Been keeping an eye on this thread and just bought a Makita DTW1002RTJ myself, arrived yesterday and looks like a proper piece of kit.

Wife and neighbors now got confirmed I'm crazy, I just ran out to undo random nuts and bolts on the cars!

View attachment 1483581

Maybe not as fancy as the Milwaukee but for DIY I think the Makita 18V range is better and more affordable.

Can't wait to replace the full suspension on the wife's car next week!
Looks like a beast does that mate - it'll be putting hairs on your arms in no time at all :p

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Don't get your hopes up, looking at the sorry state of the lockdown beard I think the hair-on-arms ship has sailed!

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
How have you managed to get your hands so clean?

I haven't touched my car in at least a week now and hands are still tinged with muck even after washing the s**t out of them at least a few times a day 😂 I think at this stage the only way to remove the embedded crap is to have them chemically stripped to the bone

Reactions: MLB

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Wear gloves? ;)

To be honest, I haven't been able to work on the cars for almost six weeks, newborn baby demanding all my time and the contents of some of those nappies would chemically strip anything!