ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Manifold to Cat fitting

Hey there guys.

I've got a 182, had it a few months and absolutely love it.
Anyway when I got it I took it to BTM for a belt change and Fred recommended a few alterations I make to it which were the exhaust mounts (done), 4 new brakes (done) and he said the manifold to cat seal was on its last legs. I've been a bit of a pikey and left it and while it has given me absolutely no trouble over the 400 miles I've now put on it, I've decided it's time I get it sorted.

I ordered this kit :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Clio-Sport-172-182-Genuine-Exhaust-Downpipe-Clamp-Seal-Kit/271148725041?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D8266205335153728605%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D271148725041%26

And I'm expecting it to turn up sometime this week.

So it really comes down to a question of fitting.
The closest I've found to a guide is this thread :

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...gt-Cat-Fitting-Kit-Help-Order-of-nuts-washers

So I'm now inclined to ask - is the job really that easy to do or are they any niggles and problems I should know?
I can either attempt it myself in the drive way after work one night or I could just give the car to Pro Speed as they're only just down the road and have them do the job for me.

Cheers for any help :)

I may as well spend a couple of quid and get one anyway and I can do it all at once. I'll jack the car up tonight when I get in and check the condition of the bits.
Without even getting under the car I can see the downpipe seal is looking knackered and one of the spring bolts is pointing at an angle it shouldn't. Hopefully the clamp is looking alright but for the sake of a few quid, I'd be daft not to buy a new one.

Think it's the sort of job in can accomplish in an hour or two?

Clio 197
Yeah definitely doable in that time , you don't need to undo the lambda sensor if you are careful and support it when the cat is disconnected.

I know it's been a few days but I like finishing what I start. :)

IMG_20130615_192344.jpg
Completed downpipe seal.
Apologies the picture isn't clearer, was taken in less than ideal conditions with my phone.
One end had to be hammered out, the other involved the hacksaw. The one on the right was totally wanked though and had rusted through, I didn't even have to unscrew it. Very glad I replaced it and it now sounds quieter and less rattly.

IMG_20130615_192358.jpg
Put a new clamp on there like you recommended. Old one was rusted to hell too but fair play to the old git, I had to break it to get it off.

​Thank you for your help mate. :)

RS 182 Cup
Sorry to jump into your thread but was the new 'cup' at the front,the mani side, very hard to get in. I got my old one out with a little hammering but the new one is proving very difficult to get in. Should it be this hard? I'm afraid to force or hammer it too much. Its a North West kit - would a Ren kit be any different? Any advice? Thanks.

Last edited:
  RS 182 Cup
Done, a bit of Dremelling, sanding, hammering and more Dremelling, sanding and hammering - Now fitted!