ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's BMW M140i

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
With the loooong overdrive-like 8th gear it'll be more economical for sure...I'd imagine the trip computer would read just as accurately though.

What do you get again? Different driving styles etc but I get a stead 28mpg. Mix of driving on road. Nothing on track. Standard m140i with the auto box and m performance exhaust (which I’m thinking of selling).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
On our auto m140i I've found similar numbers. Slightly overreads on the trip computer.

Average of 33.78 mpg over almost 10k miles but that's hard to compare to a manual as it is so dependant on use. This is mostly longer trips including plenty of motorway miles.

@MarkCup, I thought Fuellog stopped updating a while ago? That's why I switched to Fuelio, bit more modern look and feel if anything. Any specific reason you're using the Fuellog app?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
What do you get again? Different driving styles etc but I get a stead 28mpg. Mix of driving on road. Nothing on track. Standard m140i with the auto box and m performance exhaust (which I’m thinking of selling).

Averaged 26.98 over 18k miles but that includes two trackdays so taking them out I'd probably be nearer 28.

My commute is quiet, not in any way stop-start, and I don't like braking so I don't think my MPG is typical for a 140 nor for a manual one.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
On our auto m140i I've found similar numbers. Slightly overreads on the trip computer.

Average of 33.78 mpg over almost 10k miles but that's hard to compare to a manual as it is so dependant on use. This is mostly longer trips including plenty of motorway miles.

@MarkCup, I thought Fuellog stopped updating a while ago? That's why I switched to Fuelio, bit more modern look and feel if anything. Any specific reason you're using the Fuellog app?

Just because it does ALL I want and need it to do...which is to key in the fill-up data so that I can transfer it to my master spreadsheet every now and then. There's no need for me to look for any other. I'd consider using Google Sheets or Excel on my mobile but working on a spreadsheet on a mobile is a major PITA so the app wins.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Fair enough! I must've messed up the reinstall myself then when I got a new phone;)

I love the statistics, keep it up!

Any more track time planned in spring to see if you can get some dry laps on the Kumho's?

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I see your spreadsheet of fuel consumption...and raise it a web app I have written (mainly to learn some new stuff for my new job)
Screenshot 2020-01-03 at 19.39.07.png

This is for my auto M140i for nearly all of the fill ups I have done. Annoyingly I only tracked the MPG for the first few times but then started to note down everything about 3 months in. I have covered 11537 miles since September 2018, mainly commuting miles too, and have a global average of 31.18mpg. The green line is just a linear model of the actual data and it does show it is decreasing, not sure why as the engine should be worn in now. Turning on Eco mode for longer motorway journies does nothing to consumption.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I see your spreadsheet of fuel consumption...and raise it a web app I have written (mainly to learn some new stuff for my new job)
View attachment 1447166
This is for my auto M140i for nearly all of the fill ups I have done. Annoyingly I only tracked the MPG for the first few times but then started to note down everything about 3 months in. I have covered 11537 miles since September 2018, mainly commuting miles too, and have a global average of 31.18mpg. The green line is just a linear model of the actual data and it does show it is decreasing, not sure why as the engine should be worn in now. Turning on Eco mode for longer motorway journies does nothing to consumption.

I like that...very nice indeed! Eco Pro for me works when you're on and off the throttle as it really does dull the response meaning a full on press needed to get burning some fuel. On a constant throttle, as you say, I can't see that it would affect anything.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Fair enough! I must've messed up the reinstall myself then when I got a new phone;)

I love the statistics, keep it up!

Any more track time planned in spring to see if you can get some dry laps on the Kumho's?

I'm looking at a spring date at Bedford but can't commit just yet. Other than that I'm planning to take part in the GRRC Autosolo in March which will be a right laugh.

Reactions: MLB

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
The autosolo does sound like good fun!

First thoughts were that I won't be competetive...but in the over 2,000cc RWD class what else is there that isn't an ungainly heavy thing. Other RWD BMWs, yep, and boosted MX5s. I can see them being a challenge. Then there's Sierra Cosworths but I'd imagine mine should be a half decent match for one of them around cones as I have lots of power and torque with zero lag. The diff should be a great help.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
First thoughts were that I won't be competetive...but in the over 2,000cc RWD class what else is there that isn't an ungainly heavy thing. Other RWD BMWs, yep, and boosted MX5s. I can see them being a challenge. Then there's Sierra Cosworths but I'd imagine mine should be a half decent match for one of them around cones as I have lots of power and torque with zero lag. The diff should be a great help.

Mx5’s are extremely competitive in hillclimbs and sprints that I enter. I wouldn’t under estimate them.

Up here the Scottish hillclimb championship has a dedicated class for them because they are so popular. It’s a proper drivers car and the class is set up such that no modifications are allowed. They are way quicker than a standard clio and almost as fast as some of the best clios in the country.

I can imagine a boosted one would be pretty handy in an auto test

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
MX5s with Jaguar V6's in them!

I can see what you mean, an MX5 would've been my first choice over a Clio as a track car but I don't fit in one. They seem very well balanced and are light which will make a difference around a cone course.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
MX5s with Jaguar V6's in them!

I can see what you mean, an MX5 would've been my first choice over a Clio as a track car but I don't fit in one. They seem very well balanced and are light which will make a difference around a cone course.

Gives me the fear watching people race them. Every ones I’ve seen has a roll cage so lo that the drivers helmets sits above it.

But you see what I mean here. Standard mx5s doing 96s laps at kames. Fast as a a very well sorted clio 172 (ITBs, diff, lightweight panels etc) and a civic type R (again ITBs, diff etc). Only beaten by derek who was only 1s off the class record.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Exactly. And I'm 6'6" so would need one hell of a roll cage, it would be a permanent convertible and I'd need a different windscreen setup as I'd almost be looking over the top of it!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I had the kuhmos on a mx-5 and they refused to wear no matter how tail happy I got with it!

Reg swears by them on his 330ci and he's as tail happy in that thing as you can get.

As I mentioned, it must be to do with all the torque somehow, although how that would work I've no idea. I have been using the back end, but how much can you really wear them over the winter...they spend most of their time freezing cold or wet.

Confused!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, with regards to autosolo... You'll be fighting very hard if you're up against MX5s. With autosolo it's all about being small and lightweight, more than anything else. The heavier the car the slower it is at changing direction and accelerating (horsepower and tyres be damned!) and the physically larger it is the more you're going to have to weave it to get through a slaoam, slower you'll have to go through gates etc. However, ANY car can win an autosolo because....

Your only real hope of winning, no matter what car, is to nail the route for every test. One or two wrong tests are to be expected over the whole day but each time you WT is a 10-15 second penalty. You can cruise around at half speed all day and lose less time overall than going balls to the wall and WT'ing once. Since this is your first time cone dodging, unfortunately I can pretty much guarantee you'll do it! Some events put 'idiot cones' out which helps, but some do the following, which doesn't!
Untitled.png

Heffalump traps like that catch a LOT of people who just straight up slaoam all the cones!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I have a little bit of form cone dodging, back in my 172 Cup I used to travel to Smeatharpe for the Airfield sprint we ran over a few years...I have quite a haul of tankards.

I get that it's all about the nimbleness though. The chap that won it overall last time was in a fettled Mini JCW GP or something.

I'm not that bothered, it looks to be a fun day, with 12x 75 second adrenalin rushes, all for £65...and no track insurance needed before, or tyres/brakes needed afterwards.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Few words before, wrong test ;)

It’s definitely a lot of fun. Surface dependent it can make a bit of a mess of your tyres, but it’s fun whichever way :)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Few words before, wrong test ;)

It’s definitely a lot of fun. Surface dependent it can make a bit of a mess of your tyres, but it’s fun whichever way :)

Ah, I get you.

It's run along the Goodwood pit straight along with using the tarmac run off areas on the main corners at each end. If I balls up or I'm non-competetive, I'll just chill and smoke some tyres.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
So, those Kumhos, they're done already after two months and eleven days. I'm not quite sure how :ROFLMAO:

I'll not be buying them again. Ever!

I got the update of your YouTube channel before the tag on the forum and my first thought was, yay for Eagle F1 Supersports!

The MPSS on my m140i are starting to crack at the edges (common apparently) and if they get written off I'll be fitting the Goodyears.

Shame to hear the tyres haven't lasted more than four months though, but I am one of those guys who gets excited about what tyres to choose next so I enjoyed the video!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Loving my Falken FK510's on mine, average brand but a decent all round tyre for me, but I hardly push mine to the limits.

Reactions: MLB

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
We've got the FK510's on my wife's car, they indeed are brilliant tyres but you'd shred them to bits with the torque of the B58 I fear.

Have you got them on a Clio?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
We've got the FK510's on my wife's car, they indeed are brilliant tyres but you'd shred them to bits with the torque of the B58 I fear.

Have you got them on a Clio?

M135i LCI with a JB+ so the bhp/torque would be there or there abouts with a standard M140i or slightly exceed it depending on the engine lottery of course.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh impressive, I wouldn't have thought they'd cope as I find the wear rate fairly high on my wife's car. That's good info, thanks!

Sorry for hijacking your thread @MarkCup ;)

Another vote for Falken FK510's. These are the tyres i'll be replacing the shite GY F1 RF's with on the F30 330d. Falken's are half the price too.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Do you ever do track days at entertaining circuits or just the flat boring ones?

I watched your video about the tyres last night in bed, no idea why you've gone through tyres so quick, nothing to do with the full sends out of junctions or doughnuts on car parks, I'm lost as to why they might be knackered though.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Do you ever do track days at entertaining circuits or just the flat boring ones?

I watched your video about the tyres last night in bed, no idea why you've gone through tyres so quick, nothing to do with the full sends out of junctions or doughnuts on car parks, I'm lost as to why they might be knackered though.

Is any track boring? Even flat ones have challenges?