ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Martin's 197 Lux Project

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
FFS.... spotted it on eBay with 20 seconds to go, a quick read of the description and a bid in with a few secs to go and it was mine for £3k, was that a good price? I'm sure the next few days/weeks/months will clarify that!!
eBay ad pics...
1.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

Picked it up on Sunday, my 3 concerns were the 3x common MK3 issues, front hubs, exhaust manifold flexi and gearbox synchro. Picked it up and took it the 5 mile drive to my work for a good nosey round it, within 30 seconds on the road it was clear to see 4th gear synchro was shagged, however the hubs and exhaust mani are all in great condition - THANK GOD!

It looked like Stevie Wonder had machine polished it with cutlery...
IMG_20210523_154256_hdr.jpg

IMG_20210523_154304_hdr.jpg

So I spent Sunday giving it a quick going over with the polisher just to bring the colour back to life a bit and allow me to give it a bit of an assessment to any bodywork it needs. Turns out its pretty decent, all the paint looks to be original, The silver mirrors, door handles and vents that the Lux get are all faded so them along with a ding on the drivers door and a scuff on the rear bumper and some scuffs on the drivers side side skirt ill get sorted out over the next few weeks.
IMG_20210524_134037_hdr.jpg

IMG_20210524_134026_hdr.jpg

IMG_20210524_134058_hdr.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it for the cash. Its only done 80k, had a fresh wheel refurb and new brakes all round and the interior is in nice condition. There's no sign of a belt change so that's POSSIBLY one of my first jobs, depending on if its staying NA or not! Its got a ram air open filter so if I can get a cheap airbox ill pop that back to standard but I'm having trouble finding one.

The big elephant in the room is the gearbox, if I spend how ever many hundreds of pounds it costs to have the box rebuilt plus a belt change I may as well just Meglio it?! my man maths head is telling me that's the best option?!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Saw that for sale weeks and weeks ago I'm sure. Was tempted but then remembered I'd had a 197 with gearbox and hub issues and thought 'f**k that' 😂

Be as well to Meg it if the box is fucked, but keep it lux spec, not stripped out

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Saw that for sale weeks and weeks ago I'm sure. Was tempted but then remembered I'd had a 197 with gearbox and hub issues and thought 'f**k that' 😂

Be as well to Meg it if the box is fucked, but keep it lux spec, not stripped out
Yeah been there done that got the t-shirt, I sold my R27 as it kept f**king trying to bankrupt me, in fact wasn't that the same car?! lol

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Cup/non-Cup chassis doesn't really make much difference on the 197. It's only springs, dampers and anti-roll bar. Once you have lowered it, obviously it's just the ARB.

I often wonder, if you a put a journo in a 197 but told them it was a 200 Cup, would they really be able to tell the difference? I'm not sure that many would if you went full Pepsi challenge.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I've not seen another one of these other than mine in person, came with quite a few options didn't they.
yeah my understanding is that the climate control was standard on them along with the full leather and the silver bits on the outside.

Mine has electric folding mirrors which i think were a £100 option

Oddly enough even as an 09 plate it has a key where my 57 plate R27 had keyless entry, what does yours have?

yeah my understanding is that the climate control was standard on them along with the full leather and the silver bits on the outside.

Mine has electric folding mirrors which i think were a £100 option

Oddly enough even as an 09 plate it has a key where my 57 plate R27 had keyless entry, what does yours have?

Not sure why yours hasn’t got the keyless / push to start. So from what ive read, they were only made in 2009, most things were options anyway but the LUX pack was a £1000 option that had pretty much all options (bar a few like sunroof and things). I think the included bits were:

Interior:
- Leather seats with renaultsport headrests
- Silver fan vent surrounds
- Carbon effect centre trim
- Anthracite dashboard strips
- Climate Control
- Cruise Control (may have been standard)
- No steering wheel RS emblem thing (i got one of ebay)
- Keyless Entry / push to start
- Higher wattage speakers
- The VIN Sticker in the door sill also has “Lux” on the model name

Lux dashboard trim:
1ec022d87275eed225efa3df6cf06a00.jpg

Exterior:
- Silver wing vents
- Silver wing mirrors
- No spoiler - now have a gt spoiler
- Raider grey satin wheels (annoyingly mine were knackered)
- Cornering lights (nifty [emoji23])

Mine didnt come with folding mirrors, that would be nice, but assuming racing blue would have been a costly option too.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure why yours hasn’t got the keyless / push to start. So from what ive read, they were only made in 2009, most things were options anyway but the LUX pack was a £1000 option that had pretty much all options (bar a few like sunroof and things). I think the included bits were:

Interior:
- Leather seats with renaultsport headrests
- Silver fan vent surrounds
- Carbon effect centre trim
- Anthracite dashboard strips
- Climate Control
- Cruise Control (may have been standard)
- No steering wheel RS emblem thing (i got one of ebay)
- Keyless Entry / push to start
- Higher wattage speakers
- The VIN Sticker in the door sill also has “Lux” on the model name

Lux dashboard trim:

Exterior:
- Silver wing vents
- Silver wing mirrors
- No spoiler - now have a gt spoiler
- Raider grey satin wheels (annoyingly mine were knackered)
- Cornering lights (nifty [emoji23])

Mine didnt come with folding mirrors, that would be nice, but assuming racing blue would have been a costly option too.
Yeah mine has all of the above but not the keyless entry, and it has the correct carbon centre console but without the space for a button so i assume it just have been an option or something. One less thing to go wrong i suppose as my mrs has a terrible track record with key cards lol

Yeah mine has all of the above but not the keyless entry, and it has the correct carbon centre console but without the space for a button so i assume it just have been an option or something. One less thing to go wrong i suppose as my mrs has a terrible track record with key cards lol

Ah right, id always thought it was only the cup ones that had a key. I do agree though, i prefer to have a key. I worry about the security of it and the card never sits right in my pocket.

2014 Clio 200t edc
FFS.... spotted it on eBay with 20 seconds to go, a quick read of the description and a bid in with a few secs to go and it was mine for £3k, was that a good price? I'm sure the next few days/weeks/months will clarify that!!
eBay ad pics...
View attachment 1540541
View attachment 1540542
View attachment 1540543

Picked it up on Sunday, my 3 concerns were the 3x common MK3 issues, front hubs, exhaust manifold flexi and gearbox synchro. Picked it up and took it the 5 mile drive to my work for a good nosey round it, within 30 seconds on the road it was clear to see 4th gear synchro was shagged, however the hubs and exhaust mani are all in great condition - THANK GOD!

It looked like Stevie Wonder had machine polished it with cutlery...
View attachment 1540545
View attachment 1540546

So I spent Sunday giving it a quick going over with the polisher just to bring the colour back to life a bit and allow me to give it a bit of an assessment to any bodywork it needs. Turns out its pretty decent, all the paint looks to be original, The silver mirrors, door handles and vents that the Lux get are all faded so them along with a ding on the drivers door and a scuff on the rear bumper and some scuffs on the drivers side side skirt ill get sorted out over the next few weeks.
View attachment 1540548
View attachment 1540547
View attachment 1540549

I'm pretty happy with it for the cash. Its only done 80k, had a fresh wheel refurb and new brakes all round and the interior is in nice condition. There's no sign of a belt change so that's POSSIBLY one of my first jobs, depending on if its staying NA or not! Its got a ram air open filter so if I can get a cheap airbox ill pop that back to standard but I'm having trouble finding one.

The big elephant in the room is the gearbox, if I spend how ever many hundreds of pounds it costs to have the box rebuilt plus a belt change I may as well just Meglio it?! my man maths head is telling me that's the best option?!
Looks absolutely beautiful! Wish I could get my black 200t looking as nice and shiny as yours.
love the new carpet, such a massive difference that’s made and the mats are nice too.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Looks absolutely beautiful! Wish I could get my black 200t looking as nice and shiny as yours.
love the new carpet, such a massive difference that’s made and the mats are nice too.
My old faithful machine polisher died so that's literally a £50 amazon machine polisher and a bottle of McGuires ultimate compound! Make that your plans for your next long weekend!

2014 Clio 200t edc
My old faithful machine polisher died so that's literally a £50 amazon machine polisher and a bottle of McGuires ultimate compound! Make that your plans for your next long weekend!
Wow, that’s really impressive! Was it one of the handheld polisher things or a proper looking orbital one? I’d probably burn the paint knowing my luck!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Busy day yesterday after work, forgot to take any pictures of all the new bits sitting out which I kicked myself for! Got a delivery of parts from RPD consisting of 200 Cup front shocks, 200 Cup front springs and 200 Cup front top mounts to match all the 200 cup rears that i fitted a few weeks previous.

I was chasing a knock at the front end which it would appear someone else had already been chasing previously as the car had almost new genuine 197 front shocks, genuine drop links, genuine anti rotation links and a pair of new "motor factor special" front springs, they had used the original top mounts which were past their best and had been cross threaded with new bolts which weren't very tight and the new springs were catching the shocks on the 2nd bottom coil so that was probably what was causing my knock!

Swapped it all over and it drives night and day better, feels so much better on the road and so eager to turn in, its still running some Chinese special landsail tyres but they will be staying until I've stuck a 200 cup rack on it as its got some play in the inner tie rods and it makes sense to complete the "200 cup" conversion while I'm in there since the rack comes with new track rods! so then ill do an alignment and stick a set of speedlines and fresh PS4s on it!

IMG_20210822_204800_hdr.jpg

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Couple of jobs carried out this week on the 197. First up was a set of 4x Michelin PS4 - long overdue, never been so glad to get rid of the Landsail budget crap that it came with - totally transformed it as expected!
IMG_20210921_183240_hdr.jpg

a new lower engine mount and upper engine stabilizer mount, just went genuine as I didn't want the extra vibration from uprated mounts. It seems they have revised the mount too at some point? - a much better design on the lower one
IMG_20210914_173911_hdr.jpg

and an RS steering wheel insert I found going cheap
IMG_20210921_183251_hdr.jpg

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Still been loving this, not been much to report until this week, I picked up a 200 gearbox with the shorter ratios, going to pull it apart and do the 3rd and 4th gear syncros and swap it over. Ordered a new genuine clutch, slave cylinder and gearbox mount for when i get round to that, hopefully next weekend!

This week it developed a fuel leak from the fuel lines under the car being badly corroded, absolute c**t of a job and if I had to do it again id just run a braided line or something from the tank to the rail!
248483962_277125821000930_856806377783151565_n.jpg

248252999_557289702042387_6937510206020113834_n.jpg

247315399_556980108710853_7209977764011220038_n.jpg

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I can imagine that being a right cnut of a job to do, did you have to drop the subframe?
na I managed to do it with it in place, I removed the support brace that goes across the length of the subframe to get my hand up, removed the heat shield material that covers the bulkhead and rack etc, I was lucky I was doing it on a 4 poster but I was alone so it was constant up and down to keep moving it a bit at a time trying not to damage the new part! 2.5hrs all in and not one enjoyable part of the job :ROFLMAO:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Boring update, not much been happening with it, I done a new AC condenser as it was leaking and done a re gas, so the AC works as it should.

Was at the scrappys today getting some bits for my mk2s and picked up a pair of good condition ph2 rear lights!

IMG_20220305_163941.jpg

IMG_20220305_164917_hdr.jpg

IMG_20220305_171642_hdr.jpg

IMG_20220305_171655_hdr.jpg

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I've had a 200 box with the shorter 1-3rd gear ratios for this for a while with new synchro's to fit and a new clutch to fit at the time but never got round to it until my Mrs used it for ONE DAY and managed to break it!!!!! in her defence the slave cylinder failed and she lost the clutch pedal so i pulled it home on a tow pole on the back of the kangoo work horse and dumped it at my house to come back to another day.

The legend @aldo_87 is doing the synchro's for me as he's got more experience than my zero!
IMG-20220331-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20220331-WA0012.jpg

Surprize surprize the syncros are on their way out on that box too, the guy I bought it from did say they were ok! but obviously i was going to change them anyway.

This morning i went out with the intention of pulling the box to swap the clutch over ready for the box being finished but things got out of hand quickly when i decided i may as well pull the engine and box in one go and do the belts since they are long overdue (and it has a dodgy looking crankshaft damper pulley)
IMG_20220403_120215.jpg

IMG_20220403_132059.jpg

I usually borrow an engine hoist from next door but decided its probably about time i had my own so its due Tuesday and ill finish the rest, ive just got the shafts to come out, gear linkage to remove and she should slide right out!