ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Matts Little Ph1

MJClio

South East - Kent
ClioSport Area Rep
  Ph1 Clio 172
Hi ClioSport peoples!
New here so thought i'd pop up a little progress thread on my recent purchase!

Been looking for a 172 for a while, as it seemed like the best buy for the money i had to spend. Been hunting for a week or so, and just by luck the moment i took a deposit on my old car, this little gem popped up on ebay...

11004662_10205331868389979_617878421_n_zpsd06c1b49.jpg

11004787_10205331868429980_1536027929_n_zpseaab4ed2.jpg

I had to have it, i much preferred the Ph1 and for the price it was i couldn't let it go!

So obviously its a Ph1, 110k on the clock.
Recent cambelt and dephaser changed
Ktec stealth catback exhaust
KONI Shocks and springs
K&N Cone filter with some home made airbox on it
And to be honest that basically it, which i'm more than happy with for now!

Car is so much more than i expected it to be as well, very happy!

Won't be much going on here, just little tidying up bits mainly!

But yeah, HI GUYS!

MJClio

South East - Kent
ClioSport Area Rep
  Ph1 Clio 172
Welcome to CS bud.
Thanks mate, seen your car and honestly its amazing!

Nice car mate, im growing to like ph1s more, are you going to put some standard wheels on?
Thanks man! I'm not 100% yet, i sometimes really like these wheels and some times i'm not sure on them. Only had it a few days so i'm still deciding lol

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
:cool:

I had koni shocks on mine although I had eibach sportine springs with them. Very nice road setup but not low enough for me.

Yes get some pics up once it's cleaned :)

MJClio

South East - Kent
ClioSport Area Rep
  Ph1 Clio 172
:cool:

I had koni shocks on mine although I had eibach sportine springs with them. Very nice road setup but not low enough for me.

Yes get some pics up once it's cleaned :smile:
What did you pay for it?

What's the service history like? Has it had the belts/pulley done?

Yeah its got koni springs as well, i'm quite happy with how it sits at the moment, could possibly be a bit lower on the back, but i'm happy for now.

Didn't get to wash cars in the end, was just about to, and it started tipping it down, i've got tomorrow off work, so hopefully its alright weather and i'll give it a once over then.

Its good such good history with it, receipts for everything including bulbs, cambelt and dephaser was done about 10k ago and had a full service about 2k ago.

I paid the grand sum of £1200, which i thought was pretty good.

MJClio

South East - Kent
ClioSport Area Rep
  Ph1 Clio 172
So the weather was alright today, and i had the day off, so thought i'd give the Clio a quick clean, only a quick jetwash at the petrol station then a few little bits at home, but i must say, looks SO much better!
The gf tagged along in her EP3 TypeR
11014759_10205356823213834_926859193_n_zps0cd2d3fe.jpg

10592570_10205356823133832_1057616877_n_zps20121025.jpg

11005931_10205356823253835_1924894998_n_zps6b3e6db0.jpg

10961765_10205356823053830_1822822163_n_zpsfb32e718.jpg

11004699_10205356823293836_1312253522_n_zpsa5bbeecf.jpg

Had a good looker over the body of the car, as i never seem to notice a lot of marks and stuff when i buy it, but its honestly very clean, very few scratches and marks on it. Needs a new rear bumper as its somehow bowed out a bit? And the front bumper needs remounting. But its all good!

Also thought this was quite ironic for my jetwash ticket...
11016772_10205356823013829_2044618572_n_zps19bfbb08.jpg

Also fitted a new washer jet pump today, as my washers were more like a dribble than a jet!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
You should look into the "mist" washers. I believe they are off a Citroen Xsara and can be bought for pennies. Much better that the standard Clio ones.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Looks really nice that, I really, really wish I'd bought a phase 1 now, just don't like the dash.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Honestly mate, you get used to the dash. It was the only thing I didn't like but I love the old skool look and feel to it. It also doesn't feel as cheap as the the ph2 dash.

I even got rid of my Sony Bluetooth mp3 CD player for the original retro tape deck with Michael Jackson's Bad album on cassette for cool points! :blush:

MJClio

South East - Kent
ClioSport Area Rep
  Ph1 Clio 172
You should look into the "mist" washers. I believe they are off a Citroen Xsara and can be bought for pennies. Much better that the standard Clio ones.
So thats what the mist washers are from! I've been searching for them online and couldn't find them at all, thanks mate!

I wasn't sure of the dash when i looked at it, but i actually do prefer it to my mates ph2. And YESSS, all about the retro tape deck ;)

MJClio

South East - Kent
ClioSport Area Rep
  Ph1 Clio 172
So not a lot been going on with the car, just been generally enjoying driving it. Am finding a few little niggles i want to sort out though.

Brakes seem to be absolutely USELESS in the wet, its got drilled and grooved discs and red stuff pads, so i'm guessing it just where they don't get hot enough? Any pointers on replacements for these?

MJClio

South East - Kent
ClioSport Area Rep
  Ph1 Clio 172
Fronts:

Brembo HC discs
Ferodo DS2500 pads
Braided hoses
ATE superblue fluid

Rears:

Standard discs and pads
Braided hoseshoses

This is a popular choice for 1*2's and is proven to work. Speak to @G 172 as he's a trader on here that does good deals on the above and a nice chap to deal with :smile:

Thanks very much for the help, I'll get on to him tomorrow! :)

MJClio

South East - Kent
ClioSport Area Rep
  Ph1 Clio 172
Looking for a bit of help now chapsss!

Basically, central locking doesn't work using the key fob or putting the key in the door. When you press the button on the fob a small red light flashes on the fob, but nothing happens. The car does lock everything using the button inside the car and locks when you reach 10mph.

I've followed the guide on here for programming a key as i thought it may be that, but it did nothing. Just looking for a bit of guidance now.

RenaultSport 172
How come your car locks at 10mph?
Mine is an X reg and I can't get mine to do that for some reason

MJClio

South East - Kent
ClioSport Area Rep
  Ph1 Clio 172
Only issue with that is, is that I only have one key haha

I have no idea why it does, thought it was a normal thing to be honest

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
There is a button that you can press that makes the car lock over 10mph. I think you hold down the central locking button for a couple of seconds.

Have you changed the battery in the fob?

MJClio

South East - Kent
ClioSport Area Rep
  Ph1 Clio 172
I haven't changed the battery, assumed it was okay as a little red light flashes on it, but its worth a try!

MJClio

South East - Kent
ClioSport Area Rep
  Ph1 Clio 172
Thanks pal! I'll try and sort a battery for it today and give him a call if it doesn't work

MJClio

South East - Kent
ClioSport Area Rep
  Ph1 Clio 172
Well, haven't posted here for a whiiiiiiile, many many things have happened, mostly not interesting things that dont matter to life haha but i'll post them up for y'all to have a look at anyways...
So here she is at the moment, for a little reminder...
11992537_10206813762396403_23929454_n_zpsoipt3i5h.jpg

11997932_10206813762636409_799477290_n_zpsaxb5oyvz.jpg

Not alot, if anything has changed on the outside, apart from she needed tyres. Was on 195/40/16 T1Rs, which i felt were a much too small profile, so i went up to 195/45/16 and got 4 new Uniroyal rainsport 3s, which have been absolutely amazing to be honest! Highly recommended, and as you can see the bigger profile looks much better in my opinion.

We have had a small mishap in this time though :(
11868610_10206813762516406_603590773_n_zpsuzjrxw4z.jpg

Radiator didn't fancy holding water anymore. So stripped the front end down that night, ready to pick up a new one in the morning. On to the next issue...Ordered the radiator the night before from ECP, picked it up, no issues, got it back, had a big threaded hole in it didn't it. Guessing the ph2 has a different temp sender and that euros only stock one rad for all clio sports. So much to the partners disgust, back we went to collect the blanking plug i needed. JOB DONE!

Next on the list was the dog bone mount, been getting a knocking from front end for a month or 2, bushes and ball joints are in good condition, so put it down the the dogbone, and the manifold hitting on bulkhead? Was waiting and waiting for a polybushed mount to come up as it seemed an easier option than buying the bushes, removing the mount, finding someone to press bushes in etcetc. So found this little gem from Evol Engineering on eBay and turns out they are also on here.

Mount_zpsvpvqrzpa.jpg

Mount%20on_zpskxpeye8a.jpg

Very easy to fit, more compact than the standard mount, very nicely put together and has made a huge difference. Would recommend people get one if you're looking in to a polybushed dog bone!
Also on the same day (car got treated) we got a new windscreen and mine was vile and cracked, and got given an aftermarket dished steering wheel from one of my drift pals, not in great condition, but i much prefer it to the standard wheel i had!
Wheel_zpsatvbihtb.jpg

So thats all thats been going on car wise apart from driving it! Sorry for the big post, just thought i'd update in one big chunk! Shes still going strong! I'll leave you with a couple of pictures of when i did a random drive about london on the recent Tunnel Run, and one of the 172 and the partners Type R.

London%20Eye_zpspxchkwku.jpg

Hisandhers_zpsue6hwolm.jpg

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I had a similar problem with my rad last year deciding not to hold any water....the small plastic blanking plug ont he side was fubar. But this seemed very hard to find at short notice! I did find a Ph1 Exclusive at the local scrappy and that didnt have a rad with a blanking plug on! So I found a Megane with a metal plug and just used that.

Nice tidy example yours is, do like the wheels. Hope the Type R is a constant spec in the rear view mirror :wink:

MJClio

South East - Kent
ClioSport Area Rep
  Ph1 Clio 172
Looks nice that buddy, only just noticed this thread :confused:

Really wanted a cosmic grey Type R (just to spite the missus in her silver 1.6 sport)

Thanks pal, yeah haven't posted in here for a while to be honest! The type R is cool.

The on the dogbone bolt closest to the shift linkage (and cat's) might cause noise because it will hit the shift linkage (read this somewhere).

Yeah I've heard this, mine seems fine at the moment though :)

I had a similar problem with my rad last year deciding not to hold any water....the small plastic blanking plug ont he side was fubar. But this seemed very hard to find at short notice! I did find a Ph1 Exclusive at the local scrappy and that didnt have a rad with a blanking plug on! So I found a Megane with a metal plug and just used that.

Nice tidy example yours is, do like the wheels. Hope the Type R is a constant spec in the rear view mirror :wink:

I just went back to euros and luckily they had a bung that fitted!

Cheers pal. Yeah it's getting there. Few little bits left to do. And yeah most of the she's stuck firmly behind me.

MJClio

South East - Kent
ClioSport Area Rep
  Ph1 Clio 172
Gave the brakes a much needed bleed up today, been meaning to for around 3 months haha much air came out, but now much much much more responsive and no more spongey pedal
image_zpsq2of7wan.jpg

MJClio

South East - Kent
ClioSport Area Rep
  Ph1 Clio 172
So I finally got round to giving the engine bay a little spruce up! Just kept it simple, but really happy with how it came out, considering it only took about an hour and half haha

48601B37-89BE-4AE8-B424-D14D07DCA07D_zpsjspogzpy.jpg

MJClio

South East - Kent
ClioSport Area Rep
  Ph1 Clio 172
So not a lot has gone on, except for my waterpump deciding it didn't fancy holding water any more which to be honest, was pretty inconvenient, stopped at a petrol station on the way to mine, and then on the 5 minute drive from there, it had dropped all its coolant.

So i got on the case of getting a waterpump, with this being saturday evening, my hopes were low, but found that the ECP in Barking was open on sunday, reserved the parts, and set off early morning in her Civic to collect them, after an arguement with people waiting, i collected my parts and left to dismantle the Clio.

Thinking it was going to be a right pig of a job, i recruited the help of a couple of pals just in case. Started taking stuff apart, and quickly realised it really wasn't that bad of a job, just a little fiddly and made longer by the fact of there being no space and having to jack up and lower the engine about 3 million times! But we got it done in just over 3 hours with a long bacon sandwich break (always needed when working on cars lol) Happy days, cars back to being a happy one again!

5FE18A92-19F0-4968-967C-932D1D4BE680_zpslkezq0kd.jpg

What paint did you use for you inlet? i've really got to whip mine off at some point and give it a lick on paint on the cam cover and inlet now that the belts have all been done and resealed.