ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

May be worth getting your mot done before January

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
yes im 90% sure i read the new regs require a cat to be fitted to any car that came out of the factory that way

Not easy for them to tell if you actually have a cat or not though, as there are so many possible variations and they wont be allowed to take it off to look inside it.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
So Chip, the question is do I now need to get a Cat fitted at the cost of £200+ to my system? I'm sure I can get a pass legally but its more a concern as to whether the cat needs to be there or not. I guess as someone else said until these MOT's start happening we don''t know what the fail points will be, what will be advisory and how much it will affect our pockets.

You've always needed a cat. That's not new. Even if it passes emissions I think you still need a cat legally.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It needed a Lambda sensor. Was misfuelling slightly at the time. I just love teh smell. :eek:

Apart from that the Frp is notoriously bad during emissions testing. Possibly the map it's runs hence the overrun pops ect.. I'm not sure they just all seem to have a similar problem, they need a healthy run to clear the emissions test.

Maybe Harvey didnt do a brilliant job on the open loop fuelling so they need to be up to temperature and into closed loop before they stop running massively rich! lol

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
You've always needed a cat. That's not new. Even if it passes emissions I think you still need a cat legally.

no you didnt. so long as it passed the emissions then the car would pass. diffrent if you get pulled by VOSA tho! these new rules require a cat to be in place. of course as chip and others have said, how they tell is another matter

intrested in that cat on your FRP tho! what size bore is your exhaust?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
no you didnt. so long as it passed the emissions then the car would pass. diffrent if you get pulled by VOSA tho! these new rules require a cat to be in place. of course as chip and others have said, how they tell is another matter

intrested in that cat on your FRP tho! what size bore is your exhaust?

Really? I'm not quite sure on that. It's illegal to have no cat. Vosa is "MOT" so surely you need a cat.

Not sure on bore size mate.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting. So surely if Vosa stop you and you don't have a cat they can't actually do anything? Aslong as it passes the MOT of course.

I'm not even going to bother changing mine come MOT. Probably wouldn't pass even if the cat was in place anyway! :eek:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
How can they tell there is anything inside the pipework though ?

Some de-cats look like normal cats (to me anyway) as they are not just a straight through pipe, there's a bulbus part of them if that makes sense. It may well be hollow but without removing it (about a 14 hour book time job on a 172 IIRC?) how would they know ?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
How can they tell there is anything inside the pipework though ?

Some de-cats look like normal cats (to me anyway) as they are not just a straight through pipe, there's a bulbus part of them if that makes sense. It may well be hollow but without removing it (about a 14 hour book time job on a 172 IIRC?) how would they know ?

Most decats are just a piece of pipe. I've yet to see a decat that looks like a cat. Good idea though! :eek:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Most decats are just a piece of pipe. I've yet to see a decat that looks like a cat. Good idea though! :eek:

Ive seen loads on cars. Search for "silenced decat" if you want some pics

275.jpg

BMW M4; S1000 RR
It's quite simple really, if your car came with a cat, it will need a cat. If your car fails the emissions test, it fails the emissions test. They're two seperate issues.

If you have Trendlines fitted to the car I imagine you'd be fine since it was a factory option. As long as you don't have warning lights up it will be fine.

seriously? LOL!

The bloke had an M3 with a Pakistan flag on his italic fonted numberplate, kept trying to sell me some huge sub, deserved all he got.

His business partner sealed the deal the day after, so i told him a pork pie and got £150 more than was agreed the day before.

Clio 1.2 - 41k miles
Yeah, the airbag warning light being on will be a fail, whereas it isn't now.

This may also be a problem for me. I took my car for an MOT last month. When I dropped it off, no lights. the guy moved the driver seat to drive the car into the ramp, and the shoddy cabled under the seat meant the light came on. Got an airbag light advisory on my MOT. When I picked it up, I lent under the seat, fiddled with the cables, and the light went out and I drove off.

Yeah I'm rather worried too! Seeing as I have the same issue on my 1.2.. Only problem is my light comes on even if I go over a bump but fiddling with it makes it go away! Damn you Renault wiring!! Haha :rasp:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Just get the car MOT'd now before the new comedy regs come in.

Tax it for 12 months, then tax it again for 12 months in December 2012, before your MOT runs out.

Dont have to worry for at least 2 years then lol ...

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Just get the car MOT'd now before the new comedy regs come in.

Tax it for 12 months, then tax it again for 12 months in December 2012, before your MOT runs out.

Dont have to worry for at least 2 years then lol ...

Buy MOT book? Infinite MOTs?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
FPMSL! I'll have a word with my Dad, see what we can "fashion".

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
These days the MOT bit of paper is little more than a receipt, the thing that matters is being on the central computer.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
looks like ill be driving the 60miles trip to my mates friendly​ garage as of next year then

ITB BG 182
I have nothing to worry about, the garage at the bottom of my road will pass you car aslong as the emissions are within reason for a few notes on the side ;)