ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

May be worth getting your mot done before January

Mercedes
About time they did HID's TBH the amount of clowns you see with lights that dazzle you.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You'll have to have the washers too.

Thats not how I read it.

If washers are fitted they must work, if they arent fitted though, there is nothing saying that is a fail.

A bit like if you fit rear seatbelts to a 1970 car, it doesnt have to have them, but if you do fit them then they have to conform.

Full details here:
VOSA-MoT-HID.jpg

http://www.diagnostics.org.uk/astra/VOSA-MoT-HID.jpg

Megane Diesel / 172
When it says 'airbags' does that cover steering wheels? If you have a aftermarket steering wheel does this mean you have to refit your old 'Airbag' wheel every MOT? - If you still have it of course.

Ph2 Clio 172
This is the ambiguity that we wont really understand until people start getting MOTs.

Its unclear as to whether things like airbags and washers are required if your car was fitted with them when it left the factory.

Either way, I'm screwed. I have washers fitted but one of them is wedged closed with bluetac as it leaks

Looking for 182
Will my modified cat be ok do you think? It's still there, it still does it's job, and to most it probably wouldn't seem any different.

twoyc.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I was of the understanding if they are there they have to work. If there is no airbag/air bag light then it's no problem.

Ph2 Clio 172
Yeah, the airbag warning light being on will be a fail, whereas it isn't now.

This may also be a problem for me. I took my car for an MOT last month. When I dropped it off, no lights. the guy moved the driver seat to drive the car into the ramp, and the shoddy cabled under the seat meant the light came on. Got an airbag light advisory on my MOT. When I picked it up, I lent under the seat, fiddled with the cables, and the light went out and I drove off.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The Frps emissions test was quite funny, it would probably have wiped out the full garage the guy said. Ooops!

The guy just laughed when I came to pick it up. Pass!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
i made a thread about this months ago but no one was intrested!

the new things will be tested just as the old things are. i.e if theyre on the car then they have to work. if theyre not there then you get an advisory or something.

likewise if you have an abs light on the dash its a fail but an airbag is an advirosy. the only diffrence come january will be that basically any light on the dash will be a fail

Megane 225 F1
I'm fucked. My dash is like a Christmas tree, my headlight washers have never worked, I'm decatted and the guy I used last year no longer has a job.

Sounds like it's going to be a minefield. My Clio spent most of its life with some kind of warning light on the dash.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like its worth getting fixed then.

It's a common problem. The Frp runs an almost straight through exhaust to minimise restrictions, hence the tiny cat...

med_gallery_434_14_89031.jpg

The Mot was even before I fitted the decat. I do love the smell of Fuel.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It's a common problem. The Frp runs an almost straight through exhaust to minimise restrictions, hence the tiny cat...

med_gallery_434_14_89031.jpg

The Mot was even before I fitted the decat. I do love the smell of Fuel.

Even with no cat your car shouldnt smell badly of fuel if its running correctly.

I mapped a 1600 version of your engine recently on bodies and lairy cams at over 170bhp and still it doesnt stink of fuel, there is just no need for it, and it implies you have a problem if it is as bad as you say it is.

172 Race Car
I'm f**ked. My dash is like a Christmas tree, my headlight washers have never worked, I'm decatted and the guy I used last year no longer has a job.
Sacked for doing 'friendly' mots?

Makes my s**t itch all this talk of slipping testers a fiver or getting a mate to turn a blind eye. I can honestly say i never passed something that should of failed, really isnt worth getting fined and loosing testing licence/job for a favor to someone else. the subject hs come up before and i find it amazing. Where I was a tester they regualrly had spot checks by the ministry as they were only down the road

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Some testers make a good living out of not doing their job properly.

Even these days with all the computerisation postal MOT's arent unheard of.

Big risk, but potentially quite big rewards too.

Clio 172
Does the car need to have a cat fitted on it if it came as standard? I have a de cat system like most people on here. Does that mean I need one to have the emissons test pass? As for my airbag warning light I'll have a fiddle with the wires and see if that sorts it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Does the car need to have a cat fitted on it if it came as standard? I have a de cat system like most people on here. Does that mean I need one to have the emissons test pass? As for my airbag warning light I'll have a fiddle with the wires and see if that sorts it.

Even on the current (ie pre 2012 rules) a decat car is highly unlikely to pass the test for a post August 1992 vehicle, the absense of the car itself wasnt a failure, but getting to the required Co and HC levels without one is very difficult, especially on a worn engine.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Even on the current (ie pre 2012 rules) a decat car is highly unlikely to pass the test for a post August 1992 vehicle, the absense of the car itself wasnt a failure, but getting to the required Co and HC levels without one is very difficult, especially on a worn engine.

new 2012 rules say you have to have one now though...?

Clio 172
So Chip, the question is do I now need to get a Cat fitted at the cost of £200+ to my system? I'm sure I can get a pass legally but its more a concern as to whether the cat needs to be there or not. I guess as someone else said until these MOT's start happening we don''t know what the fail points will be, what will be advisory and how much it will affect our pockets.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
So Chip, the question is do I now need to get a Cat fitted at the cost of £200+ to my system? I'm sure I can get a pass legally but its more a concern as to whether the cat needs to be there or not. I guess as someone else said until these MOT's start happening we don''t know what the fail points will be, what will be advisory and how much it will affect our pockets.

yes im 90% sure i read the new regs require a cat to be fitted to any car that came out of the factory that way

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Depends what your decat looks like really as to if the changes will effect your chance of passing, if its a silenced one for exmaple then it still looks like you have a cat anyway.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Even with no cat your car shouldnt smell badly of fuel if its running correctly.

I mapped a 1600 version of your engine recently on bodies and lairy cams at over 170bhp and still it doesnt stink of fuel, there is just no need for it, and it implies you have a problem if it is as bad as you say it is.

It needed a Lambda sensor. Was misfuelling slightly at the time. I just love teh smell. :eek:

Apart from that the Frp is notoriously bad during emissions testing. Possibly the map it's runs hence the overrun pops ect.. I'm not sure they just all seem to have a similar problem, they need a healthy run to clear the emissions test.

Coke can ect..

It's a sports cat, less restrictive along with the 4-2-1 manifold. That's why the decat made minimal difference the cat was hardly restrictive in the first place.