ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

May be worth getting your mot done before January

BlackGold 182
is there any confirmation that this is true? because it seems each month theres a bit about MOT's getting worse and adding more to it, but i havent seen anywhere that its true?

surely if it was coming in January 2012 then it would be published more than it has and would have seen more confirmation ?

it probably has been, so im probably totally wrong

Our mk2 ph2 has the air bag and abs lights problems its suffered these all its life I Think they even replaced the airbag and not fidgeting the faulty hazard switch its doomed lol

260% JCW
I have nothing to worry about, the garage at the bottom of my road will pass you car aslong as the emissions are within reason for a few notes on the side ;)

This TBH, new regs don't mean much when there are plenty of "friendly" MOT test stations.

Rocket 3,CB-1,Yaris
SECTION 5: Seat Belts and Supplementary Restraint Systems (SRSs)
• An airbag missing or obviously defective.

well that is a pain

120d M Sport
Most decats are just a piece of pipe. I've yet to see a decat that looks like a cat. Good idea though! :eek:

My pugsport system has a 'dummy cat'; an empty box basically to make it look slightly less conspicuous! Not that the fuel smell doesn't give it away or anything :eek:

I can see a sharp increase in the number of cars being driven without a valid MOT coming up soon.

No way would I be paying out the kind of money to fix tyre pressure sensors just to get an MOT.

My decat was a f**k-off piece of 3" stainless pipe. Plus it was all blue/purple/orange when I had it removed. Pretty sure an MOT tester would have noticed it. Not that I need MOTs. I'm not a peasant.

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
This could be a pain. I have no airbags in my ph1. And cant fit a passenger one due to it wont fit. LOL, would removing the airbag ecu get rid of the light/any of its existance?

Last edited:
  Ph1
I can see a sharp increase in the number of cars being driven without a valid MOT coming up soon.

No way would I be paying out the kind of money to fix tyre pressure sensors just to get an MOT.

Very good point.

The reason for a MOT was originally to make sure your car is road worthy.

Its now more about trying to find faults which have nothing to do with ''safety''.

The more and more bollox they include in the test and the knock on massive garage bills the public will face as a result, the more chance it will push people to divert from the system altogether increasing the likely hood of a lot of dangerous motors kicking about

I agree up to a point. Airbags are certainly safety related, but only really for personal safety. Then again, you could argue that by having non-functioning arirbags, you're putting passengers at risk. Then again, you could argue that being in a car is dangerous regardless. Ban driving etc.

If there's one thing we can be sure of in the western world, it's increasing legislation of everything everywhere. It won't end well for humanity.

SQ5
This could be a pain. I have no airbags in my ph1. And cant fit a passenger one due to it wont fit. LOL, would removing the airbag ecu get rid of the light/any of its existance?

No, the ECU then sees there is no or a faulty airbag ECU and gives you the light. Just take clicks out and snip the diode out!

53 Clio's & counting
I agree with Fletch, my Golf has no airbags, no wiring for airbags, and I definately cannot refit the passenger one as I have no dash lol. Surely as long as you warn passengers you have no airbags then there is no issue? As it does not effect anyone outside the vehicle.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I agree with Fletch, my Golf has no airbags, no wiring for airbags, and I definately cannot refit the passenger one as I have no dash lol. Surely as long as you warn passengers you have no airbags then there is no issue? As it does not effect anyone outside the vehicle.
By that logic you dont need seatbelts either.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Fletch is there any point in getting a mot?

Seats - 1
Seatbelts - 1

Everything else missing.

260% JCW
I don't see the problem if the MOT tester over looks the lack of CAT or something like that, it doesn't mean the car isn't safe.

Clio 172
I'm guessing from reading the new MOT guidlines that some of it will come down to the individual car, clearly stripped out track cars that are still road legal that have no airbags, normal seat belts etc will have to be looked upon in a different way. That is unless they are going down the same route as some european countries where a modified car has to go back to standard for its test. In that case we are all FUBAR.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Fletch is there any point in getting a mot?

Seats - 1
Seatbelts - 1

Everything else missing.

Probably lol :eek: It's getting a MOT done tomorrow mate, fingers crossed it'll pass.

I'll then have a year to get it all sorted, if not I'll just not bother with making it road legal, and just get a trailer- track it.

i had my mot last week , but wasnt due till 31st of dec so thought i be safe than sorry - however it did pass with just 1 advisory being rear brake pads low ! result

Why do people get so worked up about all this?

Airbags - they're not going to actually test the airbag by setting one off are they? And they're not going to take your dash apart to make sure you still have one. All they're going to do is look for an airbag warning light on the dash - fixable with a bit of black tape. If there's no airbags fitted and the ecu is removed surely you'll just get an N/A the same as you do with seatbelts and pre-tensioners when you have harnesses

De-cat - they don't make you any more power, they make the car loud as hell which gets you attention from the police and they knacker your emissions. But again all they're going to do is a visual check to make sure you have one fitted and check the warning light. If you really want to keep your decat and you can pass an emissions test with it fitted then fit a silenced one that looks like a cat and stick a bit of tape over the dash light again

The problem is gonna come next year when they decide that replacement cats must be stamped at TuV approved in order to pass - same with suspension and brakes etc... because then the days of buying cheap parts will be long gone :(

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
He's got harnesses - obviously :)

When I was saying seat belts, I meant ANY form of restraint.
His logic that it didnt matter if he had no airbags providing he told passengers and theydecided to take the risk, I was saying would imply the same thing for if he had no form of seat belt and told the passenger that too, of course that doesnt make it legal.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I have no air bags fitted in my 172, but drive with harnesses on. I don't see what the problems is TBH.

Not of any form? No harnesses? No bit of string to tie around you belt?
Nothing whatsoever?

When I was saying seat belts, I meant ANY form of restraint.
His logic that it didnt matter if he had no airbags providing he told passengers and theydecided to take the risk, I was saying would imply the same thing for if he had no form of seat belt and told the passenger that too, of course that doesnt make it legal.

I can't carry passengers, as I only have one seat ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I can't carry passengers, as I only have one seat ;)

The same still applies to driver's side safery, in this country we arent allowed to be a grown up and decide if we want an airbag or a seatbelt etc for ourselves anymore.
So while I can see his logic that if its just effecting people inside the car it should be your own choice, I dont expect the law to see it the same way.

The same still applies to driver's side safery, in this country we arent allowed to be a grown up and decide if we want an airbag or a seatbelt etc for ourselves anymore.
So while I can see his logic that if its just effecting people inside the car it should be your own choice, I dont expect the law to see it the same way.

It's got f**k all to do with being a grown up

From living with 2 policemen and dating a paramedic I know the difference between an accident with seatbelts (move cars, clear road, all good) and an accident at 30/40mph without a seatbelt (2hrs spent holding a 17 year old girls skull together while the roof was cut off, air lifted to hospital (later died), road shut for hours while investigation takes place etc.. etc..)

People who don't wear some form of seatbelt/harness are selfish w*****s - end of

The MOT has always allowed seatbelts and pre-tensioners to be removed in favour of harnesses. I'm sure they'll treat the removal of airbags in favour of 4 point harnesses and bucket seats in the same way and just mark with an N/A on the test

260% JCW
De-cat - they don't make you any more power, they make the car loud as hell which gets you attention from the police and they knacker your emissions.

Rubbish... On the Clio it may not, but do it to something decent with Boost for example and it makes a massive difference.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
There are boosted clios on here that definately benefit from a decat, so you can both stop arguing about imprezzas etc now, lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The MOT has always allowed seatbelts and pre-tensioners to be removed in favour of harnesses. I'm sure they'll treat the removal of airbags in favour of 4 point harnesses and bucket seats in the same way and just mark with an N/A on the test

I'm not as convinced as you that harnesses will automatically be assumed to remove the requirement for an airbag.
If a seatbelt fails or isnt worn the airbag still offers a degree of protection, so for the same reasons I think an airbag would still be viewed as working in conjunction with rather than being replaced by harnesses?