ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

(MBP) Restore From Backup OR Fresh Start????

KevNoncer

ClioSport Club Member
I currently have a mid 2010 MBP but have purchased a nice new MBP upgraded everything and with Retina Display. I simply don't know what to do? Restore from back up or start fresh?Any advice would be awesome. Thank you.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Aslong as you can fire all your stuff over via transfer/cable etc i'd start afresh.

More pics needed!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Back up and restore via time machine. Don't really see any benefits to starting fresh, although i'm sure there are.

KevNoncer

ClioSport Club Member
Some mixed opinions out there. Really unsure what to do.
gally believe it or now, I've not had time to open her yet, will crack it open in the office tomorrow and spend all day playing.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Some mixed opinions out there. Really unsure what to do.
@gally believe it or now, I've not had time to open her yet, will crack it open in the office tomorrow and spend all day playing.

I was in the same position as you - Looked into fresh installs etc and couldn't be arsed with the effort so did a restore from back up. Was still a vast improvement vs. my old one.

KevNoncer

ClioSport Club Member
I was in the same position as you - Looked into fresh installs etc and couldn't be arsed with the effort so did a restore from back up. Was still a vast improvement vs. my old one.

I back up to my WD drive via time machine every week so could do this quite easily.

If I start fresh do I have to buy all programs again? Clean My Mac? MS Office for Mac?

I back up to my WD drive via time machine every week so could do this quite easily.

If I start fresh do I have to buy all programs again? Clean My Mac? MS Office for Mac?

No!

Clean My Mac:

http://macpaw.com/support/cleanmymac/faq#i-want-to-activate-my-copy-of-cleanmymac-on-another-mac-143

Q:I want to activate my copy of CleanMyMac on another Mac.

A:If you don’t have multiple licenses, you can only activate one copy of CleanMyMac 2 with your activation number. If you wish to purchase multiple license, see our answer below. In order to activate your copy on a different Mac, please uninstall CleanMyMac 2 and contact our Customer Support, so that they can deactivate your CleanMyMac 2 license on your current Mac. Only after that, install CleanMyMac 2 on the Mac of your choosing. Now, you can activate your newly installed CleanMyMac 2 with your original activation number.

MS Office for Mac:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-office/2c7535ec-0cc5-44ef-a210-a2b787a07331

You need do nothing more than install and activate on your new computer.

Office for Mac 2011 does not have a de-activation feature. You are granted a certain amount of reactivations for situations where you may need to move to another computer. Unless you're activating often and on different machines then you should be fine.

If you run into any issues then you can contact Microsoft via telephone. You'll find the number for your location in the pop-up menus while trying to activate.

Thanks a lot for that. My google skillz obviously need some work on my new machine. Thanks again.

Haha no worries mate, happy to help :)

I would 100% go for a fresh start as I said previously, and just copy your data over.

If you need anymore help just PM me. I'm not really a Mac man myself, and most of my IT Qualifications are Microsoft ones but I do have experience with os x

KevNoncer

ClioSport Club Member
Haha no worries mate, happy to help :)

I would 100% go for a fresh start as I said previously, and just copy your data over.

If you need anymore help just PM me. I'm not really a Mac man myself, and most of my IT Qualifications are Microsoft ones but I do have experience with os x

Cheers buddy, really appreciate it.

It it just a simple case of plugging in my WD hard drive, copying the date onto it, Plug it into the new machine and drop and drag?

Just use migration assistant and select the files and folders you want and let it do the rest if you don't want to do a complete copy.

I've never had a problem transferring from old > new and I've done many of them.