ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mechanical diferences RHD to LHD

Clio Sport 172 03'
Hi!

I have a Clio 172 UK and am living in Portugal so I'll make the change to LHD...therefore wondered whether the equipment is about the same either RHD or LHD.

I think beyond the position of the abs and the steering column there are no differences in the components themselves. Perhaps the steering box...

Can someone post some diagrams? ;)

Thanks!

Hi!

I have a Clio 172 UK and am living in Portugal so I'll make the change to LHD...therefore wondered whether the equipment is about the same either RHD or LHD.

I think beyond the position of the abs and the steering column there are no differences in the components themselves. Perhaps the steering box...

Can someone post some diagrams? ;)

Thanks!

There will be someone that knows this, someone on here done LHD to RHD.

Clio Sport 172 03'
Sell the RHD one and buy a LHD one. Its not worth it in a million years.

Like Kane said you will be surprised. In Portugal a car like that costs 10000£, I bought for 2000£... :D

be different! keep it RHD. it´s fine to drive!

If it is cheaper to keep the RHD and change to Portuguese plates than change it to LHD and buy a scrap with documents, I would't mind at all... but it isn't... legalizing this car in Portugal is about 4000£...

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Ive done a LHD to RHD conversion on a cup racer and its was as simple as just cutting a new hole for the pedal box and steering UJ in the bulkhead, welding the new steering column bracket on the otherside, then the rack needs changing etc. Was pretty simple on my car tbh, but id imagine its a bit more complicated a road version due to wiring etc. Im sure all the issues could be overcome quite easily though.

Clio Sport 172 03'
Ive done a LHD to RHD conversion on a cup racer and its was as simple as just cutting a new hole for the pedal box and steering UJ in the bulkhead, welding the new steering column bracket on the otherside, then the rack needs changing etc. Was pretty simple on my car tbh, but id imagine its a bit more complicated a road version due to wiring etc. Im sure all the issues could be overcome quite easily though.

Thanks for your testemonial!
It's quite simple though... I think I can do it with some friends... :D

If Portugal is anything like Spain you're only allowed 6 months with a U.K plate, and even if you do keep it with U.K plates you have tax and M.O.T it in the U.K

Yes that's pretty much it...

350z, Subaru Legacy
In Portugal a car like that costs 10000£, I bought for 2000£... :D

That's mad, same reason a guy from France drove to the UK to buy my 182 last year. If UK cars were LHD I think everyone on the continent would come here for cars!

Clio Sport 172 03'
Yep jimjim in UK you got 2nd hand cars so much cheaper than the rest of europe and if you dont mind keep it RHD its a bargain...
The 172 I bought was in Portugal already, from a Portuguese imigrant that came back. It only had two owners and the 1st was an english girl :)
Maybe it has been registered here, the plate is RA53 UAZ, anyone knows this car?

Clio Sport 172 03'
Get one from UK and change to LHD, so we can share experience with each other during our transformations :p eheh

renault clio 2,
wan to do the same, with price difference in cars between here and the UK. i know i will need a new steering rack, and some wiring changes plust the usual holes frilled through bulk head and dashboards changed(the bits will come from casse fracne/breakers) just want to know if the work is straigt forward. i have had other cars done MGB and Freelanders and i have an MGF that i prefer as a RHD, but the french market sadly has little place for RHD. any advice or places to look would be great

Renault Clio Sport
Its the same steering column UK and EU?or there are some differences? I have bad steering column on mine EU clio172 and need new one, but in my country is a little problem, can I use from UK car? Thanks for fast answer.