ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why is the turning circle so poor?

Hi all,

Just wanted to check that this isn't me on this, I have had my Mark 2 Clio Dci 80 for a while now, I was expecting it to be quite nimble being a small hatchback, however I have found that my other project car (a W210 Mercedes E300 estate @ almost 5 metres) has a far better turning circle than my Clio.

I know that due to the car being originally LHD and then RHD for the UK market they didn't really think about how the steering would work (which is why I believe the 6 speed box has an even worse turning circle due to limited lock). I am just wondering if there is anything I can do to improve the lock and therefore turning circle, I am actually amazed at how bad the turning circle is for such a small car versus the massive estate I was driving last week (when the Clio was off the road with a failed injector). I am taking 2 or 3 maneuvers to get into some of the spaces that the Mercedes could easily just swing into in 1.

Hopefully its not just me who thinks the turning circle is shocking!

Are there modifications that could be done? I know that you can get extra lock by modifying the suspension arms slightly - as they do to get extra lock for drift cars.

I guess I will just have to accept the rubbish turning circle, think the specs are a 17 metre turning circle, with my Merc estate being around 11 metres!

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
My ph1 172 has a slightly better turning circle than my trophy for some reason. Maybe #beauseracecar!

Tempted to look into a way to modify the hubs to get some additional angle - seems an odd thing for Renault not to address on a small hatchback, luckily 90% of my driving is on the motorway, but doesn't help when trying to park at either end!

Looks like I could use some tie rod spacers and fit them on the inner tie rods, then compensate the toe out with the out tie rod adjustments - will give additional lock but still retain steering geometry.

Last edited:

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Adding addition steering lock is only going to introduce problems IMO. Drift cars manage it because they're RWD and have no driveshafts to worry about at the front. Start increasing the steering angle on a FWD car and I'd be worried about ruining CV joints and having driveshafts pop out