ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mechanically prepping a Clio for the Mongol Rally

'03 1.2 Dynamique
I don't know much about Clios as cars.

I've an '03 1.2 Dynamique, with 66k on the clock.

I'm a VAG man myself, I know little about Clios and their particulars, to use Hayes manual terms I'm at best a 3 spanner mechanic. I'm looking on advice on what tips on things to check for the 12k mile journey ahead.

Engine wise, my clio appears visually in decent nick, it's using a little oil but I've been deliberately driving it on long journeys (I'm Scottish but work in Wales) to get used to it. After 1000 or so miles it does need an oil top up. Nothing major.

Suspension wise the clio is good. It's had a replacement rear suspension in the reasonably recent past, the car had a bent rear axle when I bought it, and the front shocks also appear good.

I think I'm starting to have issues with one of the lambda sensors, the engine management light it flirting on and off, and also the airbag has stopped working (any idea's)

Are their any other particular mechanically about the clio, or any tips anyone has for prepping the car for a pretty tough 12k mile road trip.

Hey,

Just the normal check all of your fluids, tyre pressure/tread. Also check when the cambelt was changed last if it's overdue or due very soon might be worth changing. Take it for a spin and listen out for any suspicious noise, unbalanced wheels, wheel bearings and have a nosey around the engine bey and have a look for traces of oil/leaks...

Ive watched Jack Osbourne's Mongol rally thing a few times on repeat. Looks like an amazing thing to do.

From seeing that id be taking plenty of bodge materials like cable ties and duct tape. And they went through many many rims and tyres. Probably a few snapped suspension springs too.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
All 4x100, so same as old Vauxhalls, Hondas and VAG motors.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Ive watched Jack Osbourne's Mongol rally thing a few times on repeat. Looks like an amazing thing to do.

From seeing that id be taking plenty of bodge materials like cable ties and duct tape. And they went through many many rims and tyres. Probably a few snapped suspension springs too.

Good shout. Get a bag with anything and everything in there - fuses, small can of WD, tape as mentioned, tube of super glue, etc. You'll probably never need most of it, but if you make sure that the bag is small and doesn't take up too much space, it could well be worth it.

A decent set of mud-flaps? A lot of those roads (I presume) would take big clumps out of the undersides and wheel-arch edges. Just for a bit of protection, I'd stick some Sparco chav-tastic flaps on - especially on the front arches. For a rally, they are there to do a perfectly legitimate job. It's not like you're cruizin' Maccy D's with some s**tty flaps on. ;)

What about the following link? Might be a bit over-kill, but it sounded useful?

http://www.rpsrally.com/node/268

Btw - sounds awesome - would LOVE to do something similar....

D.