ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Megane RS 265 Fast Road and Track Car

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Had this a month or so now, but so busy with Clios I have not yet started a build thread. As with all my cars a build thread is great to detail the spec, maintenance and modifications over the ownership.

Ever since my RS 250 was sold I have desperately wanted another. The car for me ticks all the boxes and all the 250/265/275 threads made me want another even more. With covid and the strength of the camper market I took the decision to sell my T5 camper, which I loved, but we had already decided pre-covid that we would not be going away this year. The T5 was just wasted sat on the drive and the perfect time for someone else to enjoy it. My old RS 250

20180415_122721.jpg
20180415_122849.jpg

The camper sold to the first person to view and I paid some debt off(boring). I had always kept an eye on the market and started looking even more. I had my perfect spec in mind, which appeared to be almost unicorn for my budget.

Then one evening while browsing Rsmegane.net I noticed a reply to a wanted add. The person that posted the add had purchased a car so I emailed the seller for more details. 24 hours later I took a 5 hour train journey to collect the car! Had I not bought it then WBAC were getting it!! The car was my perfect spec 😍(apart from a trophy, which was out of my budget).

Unless the car was a complete dog, I was always going to buy it. No way did I want to get the train back. Price had already been agreed and the seller had me by the balls because i had travelled so far 🙈

Anyway the spec!

2014 Renaultsport Megane RS 265 facelift
Artic white(pearl)
Cup Pack so LSD
18" wheels with matching Pirelli tyres
Factory tinted rear windows
Half leather Recaros
RS Monitor
Akramys Stereo
Spare wheel
Keyless entry and start
Red seatbelts

I purchased it from a mature owner who has done very little mileage in it since purchasing 2.5 years ago from Evan's Halshaw. Had a service with new air con compressor at Midlands Renault. In excellent condition. Not perfect though! Apart from a map to 300bhp and short shift it was standard. Everything worked and it drove so well. No knocks, bangs or unwanted noises. I struggled to contain my excitement on the test drive, I was buying it!! My wife was on board this time too, which helped!! Anyway these are the pictures from the seller I got prior to viewing....

20200928_205804.jpg
20200928_205925.jpg
20200928_205851.jpg
IMG-20200828-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20200828-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20200828-WA0017.jpg

To be continued.

Last edited:

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Lovely motor. I still hugely miss my 265. I remember on the test drive thinking ‘no way, this is going to be mine’.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Like that. I think if I have another it will be a facelift. Didn't like it at first but think I prefer them now.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I forgot to add it's on 52k. When buying a new car, I find the most nerve racking time is the drive home, followed by the first wash 😬 Even more so when I have spent a big old chunk of money(relative to me) courtesy of HSBC, the most I have spent on a car for some time!

I pulled into a shell station after two hours walking around and eating a kebab, while waiting for my bank transfer to clear in the sellers account. Looking at the reflection in the petrol station window now it was dark, the DRL's were not working. I was really dissapointed. This is one of my favourite parts on the 265, so it slightly annoyed me that I had not noticed it.

Anyway I filled it up with Shells finest V-power and started the drive home.

Was now 10pm on a Saturday night and the roads were pretty clear. Drive home was perfect, bit cross country to start, followed by mainly motorway. No warning lights, no strange noises and I loved it. I absolutely loved it. Bit sad, but I was so excited to have bought my perfect Megane. It got me home with no issues and all barr the DRL's worked. Dark when I got home, so morning would be the first clean! Followed by the list of maintenance and modifications I had planned!

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Was up early that morning to get cleaning it! The car was pretty clean, but gave me a chance to have a good look over it. Bar a few stone chips and what looks like a smart repair on the bumperit was spot on, phew! The reason the DRL's were not working was due to them not being plugged it. I can only assume it was like this after its last service and air con pump replacement. Anyway I was well chuffed. Even got the wife's seal of approval this time.

20200929_090636.jpg

Then I set about what needed doing. I got the car for what I would say was a really good price for a facelift model with the mileage and spec. I had decided after the 250, that I really wanted a facelift model after hours of looking online at different models. I never knew there were two different white colours available until someone posted one on RSMegane an artic white that had been detailed. The colour in the right light is stunning, but also very subtle. This was an option colour from new and a bit extra. I always wanted 18" wheels over the 19" optional ones. Recaros were a must as they are a work of art. Until I was sent the pictures, this is the first one I have seen with half leather Recaros with the cloth center. On this car I also wanted RS Monitor, Akramys audio(Still crap, but slightly better than the basic one), rear parking sensors, factory rear tints and red seatbelts. I had a originally wanted one with a pano roof, but as this will be a track car too, I decided it was probably better without one.

The car had a few small stickers on and some horrible metal pressed plates with plastic RS surrounds. These were all removed. Front brakes pads were low and the brakes were not as sharp as they should be with the Brembos. Being 6 years old it was due belts. I much prefer to have these done by my chosen expert Renault Technician @renotech as I know it will be completed correctly. As already pointed out above these cars sit way too high as standard, so lowering was a priority. Over the next week or so I ordered the following items:-

Full cambelt kit and auxiliary belt kit
Water pump
Crank Bolt
Oil and oil filter
Air Filter
Cabin Filter
Brembo front brake pads
Front brake pin kit

In addition to the maintenance items I ordered the following

Mid box delete as they are far too quiet with the center silencer
H&R lowering springs as these were perfect ride and height on my last Megane
New front 3/4 plate and standard rear plate with coloured numberplate rivets
Genuine Renaultsport mats from @mossyv6

The car is already mapped to 300bhp and has a short shift kit fitted. All the above was enough to get started. All the maintenance items and spring kit were ordered from K-tec and I must say that the customer service, prices and speed of delivery were fantastic. Of all the main names they were the only ones to have the H&R springs advertised and in stock ready for immediate despatch. They were also on offer!! All my items were collected and I then took the car to @renotech for all the work to be completed.

20200910_113433.jpg

Last edited:

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
This one is a keeper! Have waited ages for the right one. I could not quite stretch to a Trophy and would not really want to put the miles on or do track days if I got a Trophy.

Will post some more updates later.

megane 285 sport
One of these should sort the stereo out alittle. Along with the appropriate loom to plug and play it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392633628676

loom for 265 i think

loom for 250s

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Excellent mate! Glad to see you’re back in one!

Look forward to the updates 👍🏻

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Car was dropped back to me last weekend. There was a slight delay due to a part being on back order from Renault for the exhaust system. While car was there I also decided to get the gearbox oil changed too as Renault gearboxes do not appear to have improved in there reliability over the years!

So chuffed with the car. Sits much better, sounds better, feels smoother and drives fantastic. Only took for a short drive on Saturday, but have used it for work last couple of days. Some nice subtle pops and bangs from the exhaust system now. Just the removal of the center silencer makes such a difference to the exhaust note.

Biggest difference is the way it sits. It will settle a bit more after a few more miles driving too. Is no real difference in comfort either with the springs. I wanted H&R as they felt so good on my 250. I finished work early this morning and got to drive it in anger. I absolutely love it.

The numberplates certainly tidy up the front and rear too. I am not a fan of stickers, pressed plates or number plate surrounds. When purchased the car had the Megane badge on the boot. This has been removed too.

Will get some better pictures (or @Somnambulist will!) Gives an idea of how the car now sits.

20201001_152423.jpg
20201001_152455.jpg
20201001_152540.jpg
20201001_100315.jpg

While the car was off having the work done I made an accidental purchase 🙈

20200917_201309.jpg
20200917_201247.jpg

Was bit of an impulse buy, so not too sure if I am going to fit them or not. The car will be predominantly used on the road and I don't want the ride too harsh. Everything I have read on the KW V3's is they are pretty good on road and excellent for track days. They may be up for sale soon, time will tell!

Going forward it is my intention to do the following upgrades

Zero point or similar shifter with carbon surround
Braided brake lines front and rear
Ktec induction kit(just for more noise)
Possibly front mount intercooler
New front and rear Brembo discs
Uprated front and rear pads after a bit of research.
Dark or carbon rear exhaust surround. I am not paying the current price for a carbon one. Might look at getting one dipped.
New lower lip spoiler.
Upgrade front headlight bulbs
Upgrade stereo system if I can be bothered. At the moment I keep turning it down to listen to the car. With induction and turbo I will probably not have it on 😂

I have a genuine RS gearknob to collect that will be fitted in the interim period. Nothing much will be done now until the new year, unless I get itchy feet. Might try and squeeze a track day at Brands in.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Not done too much apart from drive it! Perfect daily for me and I absolutely love it still. I managed to get a new Ktec induction kit being advertised on Rsmegane. The induction noise is not for everyone, but I had an open cone filter on my RS 250 and I do like it!

Just need to find time to fit it in between fixing and modifying Clios! Still need to collect the gearknob too. It is currently filthy, but that should be sorted this week along with new mot Sat morning.

Last edited:

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Dangerous me reading these Megane threads and i haven't picked mine up yet 😆 Think it would be best to run it over winter make sure i have no issues then think about some mods.

LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
Looking good. You are not wasting time with the mods.

You are right I have never seen those seats before?

I have full leather on Cup-S which has been offered for years. And the Trophy's have the Half Leather with the alcantara centres.

Amazing cars. Best place for a Meg engine..... leave it in the Meg!

Simon1975

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup/Meg R26
Lovely looking car. Couldn't find a 250 in my budget last month so bought a focus st instead to daily. Won't be long and I can the focus being sold for a megane

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Did you decide on brake pads? Theres basically two schools of thought. You fit pads for the road and try to keep them cool on track, or do the opposite and put up with the downsides of race pads used daily to the shops.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Did you decide on brake pads? Theres basically two schools of thought. You fit pads for the road and try to keep them cool on track, or do the opposite and put up with the downsides of race pads used daily to the shops.

That's the dilemma i'm going to face. I'm pretty hard on the brakes so would defo need some faster road pads in the first place, but then they probably wont hold up to track use. I was thinking maybe CL RC5+?

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172

Not yet! I currently have a new set of Brembo front pads fitted as unlikely I will be doing any track days until the New Year and I can't be bothered with something that makes a load of noise while I am using it for daily duties including the school run. It is my intention to fit new discs and pads though.

I am not a particularly heavy breaker on track and tend to carry speed into corners, rather than stamp on the brakes, then back on the accelerator. I don't need anything too harsh, but an upgrade from standard with some high temp fluid and braided lines should suffice. I found the DS2500 pretty good on the Clio.

Hopefully find time to fit the induction kit this Saturday and see how Engine Dynamics are booked up for a mapping session. I would prefer a proper map on the car with the small modifications just to be safe. ED is the closest to me and the map on the Cup was pretty impressive.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
If you are out for enjoyment and can keep the brake temps down the best all rounder I've found for the moment at a reasonable price is the PFC Z rated. Its a little better than the Ferodo DS2500. At the rear the PBS protrack work well with them. Thats probably where I would start. It a fast car without having to work the corners and braking at 110%

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
That's the dilemma i'm going to face. I'm pretty hard on the brakes so would defo need some faster road pads in the first place, but then they probably wont hold up to track use. I was thinking maybe CL RC5+?

Due to their material I tend to avoid recommending CL Brakes for a road car. its going to be quite easy to jump to a full race pad so maybe see how you get on with temperatures. For track make sure you have really good fluid as its combined with the clutch system. I've got customers with track Meganes running Winmax W5 or Ferodo DS1.11 front and rear. Its not cheap but certainly the Winmax is brilliant for brake friction and low pad wear.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Theres no hype. They are a bit better than DS2500 but they are not marketed as a race pad for good reason. Its not what they are for.
They are bridging tool to allow a car to be driven on road and then straight on a trackday. If you drive hard enough on track then an endurance pad compound will outperform it without any doubt :D

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Pads are a real individual choice imo. There are people who brake really hard and drive very aggressive, then there are people who are just as quick that are very smooth and less aggressive.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely need something better than the standard pads for track use, if nothing else to eliminate fade and increase pad life. This is however a fast road and occasional track use car, that will be driven hard at times. It is not a race car though and track days for me are about fun and reliability.

As you can see in my previous Cup track car thread(which I had a good few years) all my maintenance is done prior to the track day. My plan is always to turn up, drive all day and then drive home.

I enjoy having a bit of a dual with similar pace cars and go faster. It is always quite satisfying going round cars, that are clearly much more capable than mine in the right hands. I accept it is not race and there will always be quicker cars and more capable drivers. For me it's all about having a good day out, a reliable car and not crashing 😂

The above being said, I certainly do not hang about on track days!

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Theres no hype. They are a bit better than DS2500 but they are not marketed as a race pad for good reason. Its not what they are for.
They are bridging tool to allow a car to be driven on road and then straight on a trackday. If you drive hard enough on track then an endurance pad compound will outperform it without any doubt :D
There definitely is if you go on any of the Megane groups [emoji23] ;)

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Looks great mate. Nice mods too - last one looked sweet so no doubt this one will just get better and better 👍

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Mot this morning. Straight through with no advisories. Don't need to worry about that for another 12 months! I did clean it at the start of the week, but its filthy already.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Tidy

Can't beat a facelift, dito on the seats though, I've never seen that combo, perfect imo as I'm not a fan of full leathers

Mine

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1605217645454.jpg
    FB_IMG_1605217645454.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 252

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Tidy

Can't beat a facelift, dito on the seats though, I've never seen that combo, perfect imo as I'm not a fan of full leathers

Mine

Tempted to get a black Renault badge for the front of mine. Not normally a fan of black badges, but I do think they suit the facelift front end. Very nice.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Tempted to get a black Renault badge for the front of mine. Not normally a fan of black badges, but I do think they suit the facelift front end. Very nice.
I've took it off 😂

It was bought with it on,

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Finally had time to get my ktec induction kit on this morning. Didn't take too long, but the Megane battery tray is a bit fiddly to remove.

The induction kit is really well made and fits perfectly.

Tray and old filter box removed. You can just see the short shift mod on the linkage.

20201120_094100.jpg

Old vs new

20201120_094529.jpg

All back together, looks almost factory!

20201120_102630.jpg

Just on the school run and sound is epic! Low down makes loads of noise. Hopefully order the intercooler for next week, then will definitely need mapping!

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Any chance you can get a vid of the noise?

Will try too. Most of the noise is low down, once revs are up exhaust noise takes over. Almost sounds like a dump valve is best way to describe it. Not too intrusive though.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Will try too. Most of the noise is low down, once revs are up exhaust noise takes over. Almost sounds like a dump valve is best way to describe it. Not too intrusive though.

Did you fit a blanking plate and remove the resonator also?

I’m tempted to do mine but said I wouldn’t mod this one.