ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Megane RS 265 Fast Road and Track Car

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
The flutter noise mate,the waste gate?

No flutter. It will have though when its mapped. The Clio makes the noise you describe. Its addictive!!!

Did you fit a blanking plate and remove the resonator also?

I’m tempted to do mine but said I wouldn’t mod this one.

Have just left the resonator as it is. Noise with mid box chop and induction kit is pretty much perfect! With intercooler and map that should be me done with engine mods................for now.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Pulled the trigger on a couple more upgrades today with the KTR 10% discount. So I have bought the pro alloy intercooler and turbo cooler along with braided brake hoses.

I was tempted to get just the intercooler, but my RS 250 had the full kit and was excellent at keeping temps down. It made really good gains when mapped too.

I went for satin black with the "Pro" logo on the front. All I am considering now prior to mapping is whether I retain the original recirc valve, fit an uprated one, fit a dump valve or a blanking plate.

Will get everything fitted and then book a mapping session with ED. Hoping for 310+ bhp with good torque. Plan then is to just carry on enjoying it. I can't get enough of driving it!!

Once the bits arrived I will get pics during and after fitting the new intercooler.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
It's the small link pipe on the beam that is a proper s**t to get off, but seeing ad it's only a couple inches long most don't bother [emoji28]

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Depending on what kit you buy some of them actually have the rear caliper lines, I had proline when the eventually arrived as HEL etc don't do that line in the kit

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Well started cleaning the car today and got a bit carried away! There were loads of small iron and tar spots on the car. So started with a jet wash and clean. Then auto finesse iron out and jet wash. Followed by auto smart tardis and jet wash. Followed by a further clean. I had a bilt hamber clay bar so did the whole car and once finished I had managed to remove about 95% of surface imperfections.

Further clean and jet wash. Time was getting on a bit at this point and it was quite cold today. I wanted to get some protection on the paint so put a coat SRP on. I will at some point machine polish, but once it warms up again. Will give a coat of wax tomorrow and hoover out the interior. Really pleased with the results though. Paint is so smooth and slick once clay bared. Artic is a lovely colour too. Quick pic before it got too dark.

20201128_171649.jpg

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Thought I should open my parcel and check all was good! On initial inspection looks really well made and I wanted one with the Pro logo on the front as looked subtle, but smart on my last Megane. Hope to fit along with the turbo cooler this week. Will update with pics during fitting.

20201206_145708.jpg
IMG-20171130-WA0000.jpg

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
dont these tall intercoolers cause heating issues, thats why they sell the turbo cooler

They apparently do. I have the turbo cooler too. Purchased the kit along with some braided brake hoses.

The standard lights on the facelift are rubbish too so after lots of reading I have finally purchased some Phillip's H7 bulbs that were on offer with Amazon to fit.

20201206_170159.jpg

I have also decided once all the uprated parts are fitted I will be making the long journey to RS Tuning for mapping. They have a great reputation and my old megane is still going fine thousands of miles and many track days after it was originally mapped with almost the same modifications.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Finally got round to fitting the intercooler and turbo cooler yesterday. I didn't realise how small the standard one is! I was rubbish at taking pictures during the fitting and was dark when I finished last night.

Took my time to make sure the coolant pipes down to the cooler were routed the best way. To get best access to the turbo pipes I removed the scuttle panel. To fit the intercooler the bumper crash bar had to be removed to give sufficient room.

I was so impressed with the quality and fit of both the intercooler and turbo cooler. It has been really well thought out and made. They do give instructions to cut down the original plastic ducting to the radiator, but looking at the facelift bumper design, this imo would be pointless so didn't bother. The kit comes with a modified horn bracket as the new intercooler leaves very little room!

Took for a quick drive last night and checked everything. Let the water level settle and topped up this morning before driving it to work. Well pleased.

I am going to see about booking a mapping session with RS Tuning soon as possible. I will discuss with them if it is work getting an uprated recirc valve or if the standard one will suffice. Just my braided hoses left to fit now.

Old cooler...

20201217_152314.jpg

New one in place....

20201217_184544.jpg

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Driving today I had a mess around with the RS Tuner looking at the different displays. I noticed the car was only reading between 70 - 75° coolant temperature. The car has always felt quick, but the limiter seems to kick in quite early.

Anyway after doing a bit of reading and a post that was put on here the other day about common faults I ordered a new thermostat from the motor factors. Fitted it this afternoon, which was a bit fiddly, but didn't take too long. Quick top up of coolant and a run up the road.

Temp is now reading between 85 - 90° and it's like a different car! Revs so much more through the gears and pulls hard all the way. Has made a real difference.

I have ordered a genuine thermostat, which I will have time to fit next week, but glad I noticed it now before going for mapping.

The wipers have been driving me mad this week so got some new Bosch ones when I ordered the thermostat and fitted those too.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Interesting I'll have to check my temps on the monitor when I next go for a drive.

Will drive it properly on Thursday, but feels awsome. Such a small thing seems to have made a big difference. Be interesting to see what my fuel economy is like as not been great considering I do a fair bit of motorway driving in the week. Not that I bought it for fuel economy!!

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like the 250 doesn't show coolant temperature in RS monitor. My gauge on the dials sits slightly to the left so not sure if that's normal. Car seems to drive alright.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Looks like the 250 doesn't show coolant temperature in RS monitor. My gauge on the dials sits slightly to the left so not sure if that's normal. Car seems to drive alright.

Think it only shows oil temp on early RS Tuner. Do you have access to a OBD2 reader with live data? Drove the car to work this morning and is now showing temp as 88 - 90°

I have read various threads on the needle position. Mine was sitting to the left, but is now in the middle since changing the stat.

Car felt quick before, but now pulls right through the rev range. The limiter was definitely cutting in earlier prior to changing the stat. It also feels smoother through rev range. Has made a real difference. Can't wait to finish work and drive it home!

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Not updated this for a while. Still love it! Only use occasionally as got another car to stick miles on for daily duties. Purchased some track day wheels this week. They are BK Racing alloy wheels, offset of ET40 and fitted with almost new Nankang AR1's. They are in fair condition and perfect for track days. I test fitted them today and all good!

20210408_175444.jpg
20210408_175506.jpg

On the to buy/to do list is Forge Recirc valve, Vibra technics lower gearbox mount and then off for mapping.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
They are 18 x 8.5, ET40 fitted with 225/40/18 Nankang AR1's

Thanks, how do they sit against the arches? Any side on pics? Just would be good to know for when I order my wheels to make sure the right width and ET.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Thanks, how do they sit against the arches? Any side on pics? Just would be good to know for when I order my wheels to make sure the right width and ET.

They sit pretty much perfect in the arch. Any more and they would be outside the arch. Will get you some better pictures 👍

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Am I right in thinking the 225 width is a little stretched? I think on my Tibors they have 235/40/18 and they are not as wide.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
235/40/18 is the standard size, but my understanding is 225 tyres are quite a bit cheaper. Tyres seem to vary quite a bit too. I thought the AR1'S would look stretched on a 8.5 width wheel, but are pretty much perfect.

My Tibors also have 225/40/18 tyres.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
235/40/18 is the standard size, but my understanding is 225 tyres are quite a bit cheaper. Tyres seem to vary quite a bit too. I thought the AR1'S would look stretched on a 8.5 width wheel, but are pretty much perfect.

My Tibors also have 225/40/18 tyres.
Non cup cars came with 225s on the Keza alloys

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Took the car for a drive earlier with the track wheels on. Felt great. I would not want to use them on the road all the time as a bit noisey and I don't reckon they would be too clever if it decided to rain. The suspension settled a bit too so got a quick picture when I stopped at the shop for some beer! Hard to show how well the wheels sit, but they are pretty much perfect. My mate has suggested getting them refurbished in anthracite, but I am not too sure!

20210411_174354.jpg